Sign in to follow this  
Boomerang

Monkey Pox

I am surprised this issue hasn’t been raised as this disease must have the potential to sweep through the Thailand LB community, even Happy Ending massages etc.

In addition medical notes advise it can even be transmitted via bed sheets etc.

As of yesterday,  40 cases have been detected in Australia, mainly  from Visitors returning from overseas.

I am traveling to Thailand this week and as the vaccine is currently unavailable,I am interested in your thoughts.   Thanks 

You can theoretically transmit it in many many ways of contact, I’m sure bedsheets is possible)

In practice, it’s most often transmitted through intense physical contact (aka sex). Almost all victims are men who have sex with men.

your chances of conteacting it in Thailand are very low in my opinion.

On 8/23/2022 at 5:42 AM, Jonard said:

In Thailand I have seen quite a few younger people with the typical smallpox vaccine scar.

I have seen plenty of Thais with vaccine scars myself, and it is surprising to see them because you just don't see those in farang land anymore. I received smallpox vaccine myself when I was a child, but I don't remember if it gave me a scar. If it did it disappeared over time. I distinctly remember seeing them on other kids arms as I grew up.

Seeing a smallpox vaccine scar in Thailand isn't nearly as startling as seeing one of those swastika tattoos. Yes I know the symbol represents the exact opposite in Asian culture than what  the Nazi symbol represents to Westerners, but it still makes me almost gasp every I catch a glimpse of a swastika tattoo on a Thai. 

1 hour ago, oliver17 said:

I have seen plenty of Thais with vaccine scars myself, and it is surprising to see them because you just don't see those in farang land anymore. I received smallpox vaccine myself when I was a child, but I don't remember if it gave me a scar. If it did it disappeared over time. I distinctly remember seeing them on other kids arms as I grew up.

Seeing a smallpox vaccine scar in Thailand isn't nearly as startling as seeing one of those swastika tattoos. Yes I know the symbol represents the exact opposite in Asian culture than what  the Nazi symbol represents to Westerners, but it still makes me almost gasp every I catch a glimpse of a swastika tattoo on a Thai. 

This stopped me in my tracks at a store in Pakse.

20161026_120708.jpg

2 hours ago, Jonard said:

Thats just… wrong. I get the swastika has more meanings than just nazi propaganda but to exhibit it like this on a flag is just bad taste.

Presumably some factory owner in China thought swastikas would be a goid little earner in SEA and didn't really bother with research. Either that or maybe southern Laos is a hotspot for Nazi sympathisers.

8 hours ago, Jonard said:

Thats just… wrong. I get the swastika has more meanings than just nazi propaganda but to exhibit it like this on a flag is just bad taste.

Yeah, this one isn't ambiguous. There's no "oh maybe that's a buddhist Manji". No no. It's just a straight up fucking Nazi flag.

23 hours ago, Jonard said:

Well, am not so sure if Laos fought the Nazis in WW-II but USA sure did & yet plenty of people in the US march on the streets carrying this emblem on a flag.

59 minutes ago, ethanhunt said:

Well, am not so sure if Laos fought the Nazis in WW-II but USA sure did & yet plenty of people in the US march on the streets carrying this emblem on a flag.

I have never seen anyone carrying or displaying a Nazi flag in this country, much less "plenty of people" marching on the streets doing so. Oh sure, cable "news" networks love taking some tiny and extreme example of American life and depicting as typical, but that's because peddling bullshit sensationalism is their business. 

Anybody who does something as dumb as parading around as a Nazi either has his head bashed in by bystanders or ends up publicly identified, and then loses his job, is doxxed etc. It's a very unpleasant existence for Nazi or Confederacy enthusiasts after they out themselves and they deserve it. 

In a country of 320,000,000 people, of course there are some clowns who display offensive symbols or say offensive things. They are allowed to do that because of the first amendment of the US Constitution that guarantees freedom of speech. The first amendment also guarantees the right of other people to loudly oppose them, shout them down and that's exactly what happens in the case of Nazis and the like. That's the beauty of the first amendment. Anybody can say anything but nobody has the last word. 

6 hours ago, ethanhunt said:

"Plenty of people?" Sorry.

Now, unlike Oliver I've seen these assholes. I lived in Charlottesville. But they got their asses handed to them, verbally by counter-protestors and legally by the courts.

I have to admit fellas, I'm a little worried about this. I'm no hypochondriac, I never feared covid at all the last 3 years, I just don't get how this isn't ripping through the p4p scene in Thailand.  Specifically the gay p4p scene. I kinda have this gut feeling that it will explode and when it explodes you don't want to be there.  I'm pretty bummed about it, I'm finally gearing up for a trip after 3 years and at the very least it's going to make me super cautious, no more trawling the lower suhkumvit area drunk as a skunk and blowing 3 ladyboys in a 2 hour window. That's where the fun was.

7 hours ago, oliver17 said:

I have never seen anyone carrying or displaying a Nazi flag in this country, much less "plenty of people" marching on the streets doing so. Oh sure, cable "news" networks love taking some tiny and extreme example of American life and depicting as typical, but that's because peddling bullshit sensationalism is their business. 

Anybody who does something as dumb as parading around as a Nazi either has his head bashed in by bystanders or ends up publicly identified, and then loses his job, is doxxed etc. It's a very unpleasant existence for Nazi or Confederacy enthusiasts after they out themselves and they deserve it. 

In a country of 320,000,000 people, of course there are some clowns who display offensive symbols or say offensive things. They are allowed to do that because of the first amendment of the US Constitution that guarantees freedom of speech. The first amendment also guarantees the right of other people to loudly oppose them, shout them down and that's exactly what happens in the case of Nazis and the like. That's the beauty of the first amendment. Anybody can say anything but nobody has the last word. 

2 hours ago, Bwana_LB said:

"Plenty of people?" Sorry.

Now, unlike Oliver I've seen these assholes. I lived in Charlottesville. But they got their asses handed to them, verbally by counter-protestors and legally by the courts.

All I said was, Laos to my knowledge didn't have any skin in the game (Nazis vs Allies), the US certainly did.

Seems it's easy to be condescending towards a semi impoverished SEA nation, when in most cases it's pure ignorance on their part. 

On 8/26/2022 at 6:30 PM, Jonard said:

Again.

In Thailand people got vaccinated for smallpox to a much later date than in the west. Plenty of people in the scene have the vaccine scar on their arm.

Those vaccines are lifetime effective and cross protect against monkeypox. This is the current hypothesis of why some countries have almost no spread.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that this disease is not strongly underreported. Those blisters are huge, very painful and very visible. 

If you simply don’t have sex with anyone with blisters, your chance to get monkeypox go from absolutely neglible to theoretically possible in Thailand.

If you are still worried, get vaccinated. Several countries in the west have started vaccinating At risk groups. In France we get a lot of foreigners coming here for vaccination.

I imagine for discrete punters, the thought of presenting to wife with monkey pox blisters would be a scary thought. 

3 hours ago, Boomerang said:

I imagine for discrete punters, the thought of presenting to wife with monkey pox blisters would be a scary thought. 

Its not an STD. Some people have gotten it from other types of contact. Standing very close to someone in the BTS with touching is enough.

For the wife, I’d worry about genital herpes long before monkeypox.

I am planning to get an appointment at Dean St in  London before I go to get my usual tests done and more PrEP.

I will ask when there about this

On 8/25/2022 at 3:42 PM, ethanhunt said:

Sorry, but "plenty of people" is just blatant hyperbole.