Sign in to follow this  
CanadaVisitor

Aloft Soi 11

1 hour ago, CanadaVisitor said:

This must be a fairly new build…everything looks pretty fresh and clean.

Got to my room. They are quite small, but fairly well laid out.  Downsides are that it has a mini bar with regular exorbitant hotel prices.  I’d much rather an empty fridge and I’d stock it myself.  It also only has one drawer and that’s located in the bathroom by the clothes closet.  So storage is almost non existent.  I’ve kept most of my crap in my suitcases and littered the tv stand with the rest. It’s also quite dark in the bathroom.  Aside from those things it’s fine.  Lots of electrical sockets and has modern hookups for the TV if you want to hook up your streaming gear.  I don’t know how good the wifi would be for that though.

I figured I didn’t get an upgrade, but it turns out I did.  All the room’s except the suites are the same size.  My room was considered an upgrade because it has a good view. Half of the rooms have a totally obstructed view because there is a condo very near to it on one side.

IMG_1960.jpeg

IMG_1961.jpeg

IMG_1962.jpeg

IMG_1963.jpeg

IMG_1964.jpeg

IMG_1967.jpeg

Storage is always crap on these new builds , thank you for the review , I usually tell the maid to remove the mini bar mate , enjoy your holiday :) 

Edited by whiteshirt

19 hours ago, whiteshirt said:

Storage is always crap on these new builds , thank you for the review , I usually tell the maid to remove the mini bar mate , enjoy your holiday :) 

Good tip about the mini bar, but at this point I'll just ignore the stuff in there as there was room enough in it to put my own supplies.  Condoms were one of the items you could buy, 200 baht for 1, lol...definitely only for the desperate! 

Breakfast...the buffet is pretty good.  Not sure how much it costs as it was another perk from my status.  I find the buffets here in Thailand are exceptional compared to N.America ones. Fresh egg station, lots of western, and Asian choices. No coconut water though (that costs extra here), but lots of fresh fruit and the pastry section was pretty big.  I don't usually eat any bread or baking while I'm here though.

Laundry service...I was putting all my dirty clothes together until I realized it was going to cost 2500 baht,  so screw that. I did let them dry clean my dress pants for the party tonight (400) and dropped the rest off at the laundry on the same alley as Cindy's (300).

I'll review the gym next as it's overcast today and kinda cool outside to go for a swim.  I did go do some laps yesterday and was uninterrupted for over an hour as I did my thing.  I'm guessing the pool isn't heated, but the cold water shock quickly went away after I started.

1 hour ago, CanadaVisitor said:

Good tip about the mini bar, but at this point I'll just ignore the stuff in there as there was room enough in it to put my own supplies.  Condoms were one of the items you could buy, 200 baht for 1, lol...definitely only for the desperate! 

Breakfast...the buffet is pretty good.  Not sure how much it costs as it was another perk from my status.  I find the buffets here in Thailand are exceptional compared to N.America ones. Fresh egg station, lots of western, and Asian choices. No coconut water though (that costs extra here), but lots of fresh fruit and the pastry section was pretty big.  I don't usually eat any bread or baking while I'm here though.

Laundry service...I was putting all my dirty clothes together until I realized it was going to cost 2500 baht,  so screw that. I did let them dry clean my dress pants for the party tonight (400) and dropped the rest off at the laundry on the same alley as Cindy's (300).

I'll review the gym next as it's overcast today and kinda cool outside to go for a swim.  I did go do some laps yesterday and was uninterrupted for over an hour as I did my thing.  I'm guessing the pool isn't heated, but the cold water shock quickly went away after I started.

IMG_1368.gif

Another final few points.

The bed and bedding are very comfortable.  The mattress is firm, but not too firm and the sheets and pillows are quite nice.

The shower is big enough for two and the shower head easily adjusts to many different positions.  The first time I tried sex in the shower was almost a disaster because the floor is too slippery.  However it’s plenty big so it’s good enough to soap each other.  And if you are determined (like I was) to have shower sex, just bring the bath mat in for traction.

I do like Aloft, its near Cindy's which is a big plus. I do think the price is almost same as Mercure (or it was last time i was in bkk) and for me the rooms at Mercure is much better. 

On 12/29/2023 at 12:07 AM, pennybridge said:

I do like Aloft, its near Cindy's which is a big plus. I do think the price is almost same as Mercure (or it was last time i was in bkk) and for me the rooms at Mercure is much better. 

Yeah, I might have been too harsh on this place after now staying in three different hotels.  The beds and bedding at Aloft have been by far the best.  Same with the breakfast...way better than Mercure or the Holiday Inn Suk 22 where I am now.

They also have a free shuttle to Nana BTS and to Terminal 21.  That meant that I didn't build up too much of a sweat when I walked the rest of the way to NEP or CIB.

I might take some more contract work this year.  If I do I would happily stay here again using those points.  Shame they don't have a lounge though...I'm quite enjoying the 2 hour free drinks and snacks I get at the other hotel chains in the early evening.

Currently staying at this hotel. I am a Bonvoy platinum member so generally try to stay at one of their hotels. While definitely a step down from Westin and Sheraton, the price I paid this trip made it an easy choice, 2500++/night. Considering it includes breakfast has a comfortable bed, decent gym and nice TV (now includes ability to easily link Netflix account) I am quite happy overall.

On 12/22/2023 at 6:46 PM, CanadaVisitor said:

…the Mercure pool area is a lot bigger,

I know it is an old post but do any of you guys take your dates to the pool area?. Do they want to visit the pool, swim etc?. Or maybe they just lay around showing off their bodies.

On my next visit I will be staying at hotels which have a pool for the most part.

17 minutes ago, Bwana_LB said:

I have invited afternoon treats to the pool. About 25% have taken me up on the offer.

But...

CanadaVisitor's first two points are on target. The girls have mainly stayed in the shade, under a pool umbrella. And most will get in the pool but not get their hair wet. Some just sit with their feet dangling in the water.  At least half tell me they don't know how to swim. But a few have jumped in and taken full advantage of the pool. Mostly we just sit, talk, and have something to drink.

Agreed 100%

I wrote about LBs and their fear of water a few years back. It's shocking how many of them don't know how to swim, even the ones from rural areas. The thread below was about taking LBs on trips, and their reluctance to go swimming was one of the things that was guaranteed to occur on most of my trips with them. 

13 hours ago, CanadaVisitor said:

extra curricular

CV, please dont use those big words. I stumble over them and have great difficulty understanding their meaning in the context of the complex, multifaceted, duality, and often erroneus usage!:Bonkers:

4 hours ago, Bwana_LB said:

I have invited afternoon treats to the pool. About 25% have taken me up on the offer.

But...

CanadaVisitor's first two points are on target. The girls have mainly stayed in the shade, under a pool umbrella. And most will get in the pool but not get their hair wet. Some just sit with their feet dangling in the water.  At least half tell me they don't know how to swim. But a few have jumped in and taken full advantage of the pool. Mostly we just sit, talk, and have something to drink.

These are some of the thoughts I had. A lot of lb's come from the Isaan area and obviously  not near the sea. Their only areas to swim would be rivers etc. so in the main no need for swimming.

One of my very early lb gfs was from the Philippines and she loved swimming. Said that when they were growing up and even in transition to being a lb, they would go skinny dipping as a group.

I took girl on several trips and found that she loved a private pool villa - couldn't really swim but made an effort (loved sex in the pool ) but at a resort stayed on the lounger under the umbrella looking at her phone. At the beach she would wade out to waist height and bob around. 

I imagine an Australian surf beach would freak them out!

11 hours ago, oliver17 said:

Agreed 100%

I wrote about LBs and their fear of water a few years back. It's shocking how many of them don't know how to swim, even the ones from rural areas. The thread below was about taking LBs on trips, and their reluctance to go swimming was one of the things that was guaranteed to occur on most of my trips with them. 

Yes...I remember your posts on that thread were spot on and a MUST read for anyone planning a holiday girlfriend type of date.

When you get to your room next time, call down and ask them to have someone empty out the fridge.  I never had a hotel not do it when requested.

On 1/20/2024 at 5:11 PM, kdfan said:

When you get to your room next time, call down and ask them to have someone empty out the fridge.  I never had a hotel not do it when requested.

I've got my next trip booked and I chose this hotel again for 25 of my 29 nights.  Four reasons for this decision: The better beds and bedding, the much better breakfast (even though I might only eat breakfast half the time), the Marriott Bonvoy points program seems to be the best overall fit for me, and I was able to negotiate a better nightly rate.

The downsides are that it doesn't have a lounge for the freebie early evening drinks and snacks and both the pool itself and the pool area aren't that big.

I will definitely do as you and @whiteshirt  suggested this time...get the mini bar emptied and fill it with my own supplies.

37 minutes ago, CanadaVisitor said:

I've got my next trip booked and I chose this hotel again for 25 of my 29 nights.  Four reasons for this decision: The better beds and bedding, the much better breakfast (even though I might only eat breakfast half the time), the Marriott Bonvoy points program seems to be the best overall fit for me, and I was able to negotiate a better nightly rate.

The downsides are that it doesn't have a lounge for the freebie early evening drinks and snacks and both the pool itself and the pool area aren't that big.

I will definitely do as you and @whiteshirt  suggested this time...get the mini bar emptied and fill it with my own supplies.

25 nights nice one  !! You will be on first name terms with the staff !!  …waking up too that view will be a pleasure mate  , enjoy your holiday CV