lowrider

Indian Food Restaurant

There are many good ones in fact.

Soi 3/1 has for a couple. Food is good but the area in general is dirty.

There is one right at the entrance of Soi 7.

All soi in Shukhumvit.

only tried the one in old world trade centre next to zen

i think its called world central plaza i forget

is an indian plaze at the top floor

this mall has many great restaurants bye the way

By upper end meal, do you mean price? Indian food is in general quite expensive and not so tasty. I have tried my share, but nothing

is up to par with what I get back at home (not India ;) ).

The arabic outdoor restaurant on the left side in Suk 5 is quite good though. They have semi-prepared dishes on a stall.

The best indian I have tried is in soi 11 on the right side when you swing in from Suk. There is also another one in Suk 11/1 which

is ok.

Guest Geronimo42

There is a really good one, can't reme,ber the name at the corner of Soi 8 and the Suk up on the 1st floor.

The one on Soi 11.5 (Suk) is better than excellent.

On Soi 13 there is one that caters to Indian tourist groups (major back room area). A 299 baht buffet, veg or non veg.

There is a really good one, can't reme,ber the name at the corner of Soi 8 and the Suk up on the 1st floor.

I think this was the one a freind of mine took me to and the food was very good.

Guest Shibuya

Pahurat (India town) has some authentic places to eat, but the food very different from a curry house in the west.

There are a lot of southern Indian restaurants in and around Indra Market in Pratunam, but you could not call any of them upmarket.

For what its worth my fav 2 places are Sri Ganesha on Suk Soi 20 and and that small pure veggie place next to Wat Kaek.

Whats its name???

The one on Soi 11.5 (Suk) is better than excellent.

On Soi 13 there is one that caters to Indian tourist groups (major back room area). A 299 baht buffet, veg or non veg.

loads of indian restaraunts around soi 11.......expensive also......1500 baht a meal for 2 in one place i went to...I could get the same meal back in the uk for less...proper rip off IMO....

Does anyone recommend one? I am looking for a upper end meal and experience.

please define upper end. quality, price, ambiance, all of the above.

for all of the above try Rang Mahal at the Rembrandt Hotel. great food, awesome views, and 5 star service.

041100280_01.jpg

also for a more intimate setting and traditional style seating (low tables) and good food is Moghul Room Indian Restaurant, just across from Cheap Charlies on Soi 11 Suk, does all the Indian standards, including an array of vegetarian options. Try to be seated upstairs where the atmosphere is more intimate. Prices are reasonable and the portions are a decent size.

for simply very good food in a relaxed setting, not to fancy and a lot of Indian chintz, try the Akbar on Suk Soi 3. also known as the Elvis restaurant becuase both the father and son owners have Elvis pompadour hair cuts and wear bell bottom pants from that era.

Indus at 71, Sukhumvit Soi 26 is also spectacular. its in a converted house with a beautiful patio for dinning and an outside bar plus a small Indian disco. sounds crazy,but it all works. food, especially the sauces, although traditional, all have a great twist to them that sets this place apart. friendly and great service. the setting outside is so sabai. (the pictures on the website IMHO are sh*te and not representative of how nice it is.)

and although it is an Egyptian restaurant, Sherazade on Soi 3/1 has a great selection of Indian. no alcohol is served as they are Muslims, but the food is outstanding and an Indian chef is in residence. the egyptian fare is some of the best food on the planet. see this topic and go to post #4.

for over all good food, great ambiance and one of BKKs best Sukhumvit views, stellar service, live traditional Indian sitar and tablas band, and a place to impress its Rang Mahal. reserve in advance and tell them you insist on a corner table in the back at the window overlooking lake Rajada and Sukhumvit. my second choice would be Indus. maybe go to Indus early, have some cocktails on the patio with some apps and then motivate to Rang Mahal. it would be about a 10 or 15 minute taxi ride between the two.

Edited by bkkladyboy

that is a place called India Today. not too bad, nice people.

2nd floor is a bar and lounge and the 3rd floor is the dinning room.

small menu but good food. service is so-so unless the girl who tends bar waits on you on the 2nd floor. 2nnd floor can be a bit noisy if they are watching football or cricket or the disco music is on.

i asked the manager one night why i do not feel bloated after eating there as opposed to some other Indian restaurants. he says that is because all the food there is made to order and in other Indian restaurants they make large quantities of some dishes that sell well and that is the type of preparations that cause that over-stuffed feeling.

i have eaten their probably 15 times over the last 4 or 5 months. my boss likes it so we go there to talk and gorge ourselves.

Last month I did the Sunday buffet at Rang Mahal, and it was good value for money if you have a big stomach. Food was varied and good - Rang Mahal also gets the endorsement of an Indian Expat buddy of mine who works in BKK. For normal dinners, I usually go to Mrs. Balbir's on Suk 11/1, which is near where I live. A very good option.

For an "off the beaten path" side trip, you may want to consider little India. Many eons ago (maybe 1999?) my GF and I did the lonely planet walking tour of this area and hit up one of the local indian spots for lunch. It was my GF's first Indian food experience, and though she wasn't thrilled with it at the time, Indian has become one of her favorite cuisines. As you would expect, the restaurants there are far cheaper than on Suk, but inconvenient for a meal "in the neighborhood". Google for a "little india bangkok walking tour" and you'll find some decent overviews.

On 4/23/2011 at 12:05 AM, bkkladyboy said:

that is a place called India Today. not too bad, nice people.

"India Today" has closed a few weeks ago already I think... There's now a new bar there called "Food & Coffee"... Wondering how long it took them to come up with such a fancy name... 

104440317_3270500949661825_8026128212990

Located next to the dee money exchange and travel office:

105341286_3270504106328176_4555406492043

83177030_3261460710565849_26566464355324

83562656_3261460883899165_89586539962491

The new bar seems to be doing fine according to Stickman:

"It’s not all bad news on Sukhumvit. One bar which is doing well is the enclosed beer bar at the start of Sukhumvit Soi 8 in the space that was previously the India Today restaurant. Said beer bar has 20 odd girls, a counter to sit and watch the world go by and 80 beers at happy hour. That’s a few good reasons to stop by."

https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/weekly-column/2020/07/a-price-war/

On 6/22/2020 at 3:58 PM, Thanks said:

"India Today" has closed a few weeks ago already I think... There's now a new bar there called "Food & Coffee"... Wondering how long it took them to come up with such a fancy name... 

104440317_3270500949661825_8026128212990

Located next to the dee money exchange and travel office:

105341286_3270504106328176_4555406492043

83177030_3261460710565849_26566464355324

83562656_3261460883899165_89586539962491

7 hours ago, Thanks said:

The new bar seems to be doing fine according to Stickman:

"It’s not all bad news on Sukhumvit. One bar which is doing well is the enclosed beer bar at the start of Sukhumvit Soi 8 in the space that was previously the India Today restaurant. Said beer bar has 20 odd girls, a counter to sit and watch the world go by and 80 beers at happy hour. That’s a few good reasons to stop by."

https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/weekly-column/2020/07/a-price-war/

In early January, India Today had already disappeared and was replaced by a beer bar with so-so GGs. There were people and ambiance at night but I was not interested for obvious reasons.

20200106_000549.jpg

From the pic I took I don't read "Food and Coffee" (taken afar with my phone so very bad pic). Maybe it changed owner 2 times in 6 months.

Edited by ARI23

17 hours ago, ARI23 said:

I don't read "Food and Coffee"

Yeah, in your pic it says Today @ Soi 8...

But I believe it's mainly changed its name from Today @ Soi 8 to Food & Coffee... Perhaps this had something to do with the alcohol ban a few weeks ago...

A coffee shop that only sells alcohol - T.i.T. ...

106199066_3295171983861388_3017188975648

104629649_3260854223959831_7405206515883

83334677_3257727750939145_28417681815933

104847756_3295155353863051_9129143904013

103472310_3259336590778261_5080875262940

Now (pics from late June/ early July) it says Food & Coffee... Perhaps India Today was replaced last year by Today @ Soi 8 which itself was replaced by F&C?

Because this picture from inside Today @ Soi 8 from earlier this year

88104189_190061079074623_417731298052800

looks very much like F&C... 

Linked public pics from the apparent owner or manager.

https://www.facebook.com/Today-soi8-Bar-106990587381673

Edited by Thanks

8 hours ago, mikel said:

Has anyone tried Haoma on soi 31 recently? If so, is it worth a visit?

I love Indian food and in England we are spoilt for choice, but I have to say I have no craving for it in LOS...I'm sure there must be one or two decent Indian's in Bangkok but with Thai curries and all the other spicy dishes i really can live without it when I'm there.

One of thebetter indian restaurants you will find at frazer suites on soi 11 inthe same building as above 11

https://charcoalbkk.com/

They also have crazy cocktails

A good one on thonglor as well but forgot the name

Next to Mercure soi11 is also good

Best restaurant in bkk 3star michelin called Gagan is also Indian but 2 months reservation and set menu starts at 6800 thb

On 9/11/2022 at 3:50 AM, gainsbarre said:

One of thebetter indian restaurants you will find at frazer suites on soi 11 inthe same building as above 11

https://charcoalbkk.com/

They also have crazy cocktails

A good one on thonglor as well but forgot the name

Next to Mercure soi11 is also good

Best restaurant in bkk 3star michelin called Gagan is also Indian but 2 months reservation and set menu starts at 6800 thb

Gaggan closed as I understand. He is doing some chef tables/stalls etc as I heard, and collaborating on something with the Suhring brothers.

Hearing a bit about something on or around Soi 15 called Varanasi (or Benaras) but not personally tried. 

Frankly it always surprised me that there is no really good Indian restaurant ( outside of Gaggan's- but that was fusion and hard to get in) in Bangkok.

Everything on Sukhumvit even between Thonglor upto Pratunam ( Siam) is passable or below

The Lebua had a good chef for inhouse dishes. UK, UAE , USA metros way ahead. 

31 minutes ago, Victortheo said:

Gaggan closed as I understand. He is doing some chef tables/stalls etc as I heard, and collaborating on something with the Suhring brothers.

Hearing a bit about something on or around Soi 15 called Varanasi (or Benaras) but not personally tried. 

Frankly it always surprised me that there is no really good Indian restaurant ( outside of Gaggan's- but that was fusion and hard to get in) in Bangkok.

Everything on Sukhumvit even between Thonglor upto Pratunam ( Siam) is passable or below

The Lebua had a good chef for inhouse dishes. UK, UAE , USA metros way ahead. 

Tkx for the Intel 

Didn't know he was closed