Sign in to follow this  
jeimii

Phachara Suites Safe

I wanted to check what happened if you forgot you number for the safe, I wondered how easy it was for it to be opened. This was at Phachara Suites. I can assure you , certainly in my case, there was no master code. They required some kind of portable computer, custom tooling, and a key. Quite reassuring, especially as they never get to know the number you used so if relocked normally you would know as the number had changed.

I wanted to check what happened if you forgot you number for the safe, I wondered how easy it was for it to be opened. This was at Phachara Suites. I can assure you , certainly in my case, there was no master code. They required some kind of portable computer, custom tooling, and a key. Quite reassuring, especially as they never get to know the number you used so if relocked normally you would know as the number had changed.

Hmmmmmmmm well yes maybe reassuring or could look at it from a cynical perspective and wonder how many of these hand held puters and tools are available ? Mind you i have never had anything stolen that im aware of in Thailand so i'm not concerned...

very true, I had not thought about the tools being available externally and like you I certainly had nothing taken during my trip. I guess I was just concerned by the stories of hotel staff being able to access your safe without you knowing. And it would appear that certainly with that safe it is not possible...they can open it yes, but that clears the key so they cannot relock it without changing the key, but I am no expert.

Hi All

This post is not about Phachara Suites but my experience on hotel safes in LOS..

Safe 1

My first time in LOS i went to Phuket - Koh Samui - Bangkok and as a newbie i did do my homework from the forum etc on the do's and dont's plus extra's.

Anyway back to safes, i arrived in Koh Samui and was staying in a beach front type villa, so when guided to my room i was shown around my smallish villa, i was then shown how to use the safe etc. When my guide left i thought put all my valuables in the safe etc and do a quick mouch of the area. I was about to leave the room when i needed something out the safe and low and behold it would not open. I went to reception and explained what had happened so they sent someone with the "master key" for the safes.

This youngish lad turned up and even with the "master key" he could not open it, after a few attempts and another member of staff turned up they gave up with the key situation, so off they went. I just sat in my room when the youngish lad turned up with a tool box, so out came a hammer, chisel, jimmy bar and some serious screwdrivers. It then took the both of us one & half hours to prize the door of the safe open with a lot of banging etc that woke up our sleeping daytime nieghbours next door. The safe was now knackered so i had to use the one behind reception, i was a bit worried but i did'nt have any other choice but all was ok.

Safe 2

I was staying in a hotel in Bangkok and same again, was shown how to use the safe etc and again low and behold after my guide had gone unable to open it, I called down to reception and they sent a guy with once again a "master key" and he opened it up and i had to reset the code, this happened loads of times, i did tell the staff that it looks like the batteries are running out but they said they were ok, so later that day i went out bought my own batts and did not have a problem afterwards.

Just my input on my experience on safes in LOS, i have been a three times now over three years and in different areas of Thailand and they are the only two problems i encountered.

Regards

Pat

Nice info pat2004. My only reason for really raising the issue was a few videos seen on youtube where an actor playing a hotel staff member comes in and by punching in a simple master code gets access to the safe, and in the case of Phachara it was not so straightforward...although they did not have to resort to a hammer!

Nice info pat2004. My only reason for really raising the issue was a few videos seen on youtube where an actor playing a hotel staff member comes in and by punching in a simple master code gets access to the safe, and in the case of Phachara it was not so straightforward...although they did not have to resort to a hammer!

I do have pictures of the safe that was battered to hell but it was a while ago and another pc so i can not find them, if i manage to even find the memory card that has them on i shall post on here

Pat

I stay here on almost every visit, had lb and gg, 1 night or 3 day, and never a word said, saying that, they do not check the guest id either, from a safety point of view its bad, but on the other hand allows you to be even more discreat , depends on your outlook

Having been looking at this hotel for next trip ,,,most reviews very good ,,the only negative some seem to say is there are loads of miidle eastern people there if that bothers some ,,,,,,,,doesnt bother me ,so im thinking of giving it a go

I forgot my combo at my hotel in hua hin,the duty manager and another staff member came and reset the safe , they told me two staff members have to sign for the master key , very reassuring.