Sign in to follow this  
oliver17

Grand Hyatt Erawan

I used to frequent the wine bar and Spasso when over for weekends while living and working in Singapore and then when I moved to Bangkok to work. Even at the relatively high prices being charged, it was still much much cheaper than equivalents in Singapore. There used to be 3 lovely hostesses in the wine bar, fluent in English and just model look stunning.

Oddly enough, I have never stayed here, despite being a regular at Grand Hyatt in Hong Kong and Jakarta. It was just always that much easier for me to stay next door to our office which meant the Sheraton Grande in Sukhumvit which is an equally nice property.

Great report.

I used to frequent the wine bar and Spasso when over for weekends while living and working in Singapore and then when I moved to Bangkok to work.

Great review Oliver, thanks for making the effort. The lunch buffet in the main lobby used to be excellent quality and real value for money, did you try it? Personally I'm not too keen on the location of the hotel because getting to Sukhumvit from there by taxi is a bit of a pain in the ass due to not being able to just turn right onto Sukhumvit. Getting back home is easy peasy as it's just a straight drive.

@Mardhi: I used to be a Spasso regular as well for quite a long period of time. Nowadays my visits are limited to around 3 a year, mostly in the company of a couple of GG's ( I find it easier to bring more than 1 so they can entertain each other, rather than me having to go through the root canal treatment of having to make small talk). They usually have really good live bands which rotate every 6 weeks, the food is good but overpriced as you'd expect from a venue that's part of a 5 star hotel, the service is impeccable and ordering a bottle is surprisingly good value. I've never taken a LB there though and I don't recall ever seeing one, are they LB friendly?

If yes, we should go there next month as it will make a nice change from the usual haunts.

Great review Oliver, thanks for making the effort. The lunch buffet in the main lobby used to be excellent quality and real value for money, did you try it? Personally I'm not too keen on the location of the hotel because getting to Sukhumvit from there by taxi is a bit of a pain in the ass due to not being able to just turn right onto Sukhumvit. Getting back home is easy peasy as it's just a straight drive.

@Mardhi: I used to be a Spasso regular as well for quite a long period of time. Nowadays my visits are limited to around 3 a year, mostly in the company of a couple of GG's ( I find it easier to bring more than 1 so they can entertain each other, rather than me having to go through the root canal treatment of having to make small talk). They usually have really good live bands which rotate every 6 weeks, the food is good but overpriced as you'd expect from a venue that's part of a 5 star hotel, the service is impeccable and ordering a bottle is surprisingly good value. I've never taken a LB there though and I don't recall ever seeing one, are they LB friendly?

If yes, we should go there next month as it will make a nice change from the usual haunts.

I have taken Jay there before on a number of occasions, albeit 5+ years ago. However, I also have hardly ever seen any LB's there and suspect they have to be accompanied in.

If you get there before 10pm and/or eat, there are no security on the door so could just walk straight in. Pizza's are good from memory,cooked in wood fired oven.