Sign in to follow this  
Youngone

Marriott Resort Pattaya

After spending a good 2 weeks in Bangkok I figured it was time for a change of scenery so last week I decided to book 4 nights at the Marriott Resort in Pattaya using Marriott Rewards points.

This isn't the first time I've stayed at the Marriott Resort, it used to be one of my favourite places to stay in Pattaya until I got tired of paying a lot of money for rooms that are nice but nothing special. What speaks for the place is the near perfect location, a 5 minute stroll from the hustle and bustle of Walking Street and about a 10 minute walk to the soi Buakhao area. It's a very girlfriendly place although visitors are required to leave their ID cards with security

First impression: large open air lobby with some comfy seating areas and a bar. The hotel had arranged a driver to pick me up in Bangkok and about 10 minutes before getting to the hotel he rang reception so that everything was ready for a speedy check in; nice touch I thought. The AC in the room was on when I got there, which always makes for a pleasant entry,

Location: right on Beach road in the soi 13 area, adjacent to the Garden Plaza shopping mall. Plenty of restaurants, coffee shops around the hotel as well as a 7/11 make for easy pickings if you're hungry or thirsty.

Room: OK room, around 35m2, large flat screen TV, an extremely comfortable king size bed, an OK bathroom with a rain shower and a good sized balcony with sea views. 3 negatives for me: the curtains are too short which means early morning sunlight shines into the room, a bit noisy and the fire alarm is located right above the bed with a piercing green light shining straight at the pillows.

Pool/Gym: a good sized pool which gets sun all day. The Spa and sauna/shower facility is truly great, but the massages are way over priced as far as I'm concerned.

Bottomline: the positives for me are the location and the pool area, but the negatives are the noise and the smallish rooms. From a value for money perspective I don't rate the hotel very high as the rooms cost around 6K Baht/night and there are definitely better rooms to be had in Pattaya for that amount of money. Since I used Marriott rewards points the price was not a consideration for me.

Deluxe sea view room. Added bonus is the glass shower cabin

1.JPG

View from the balcony onto the pool area

2.JPG

Sea view from the balcony

3.JPG

Open air lobby. Due to the heat and mosquitos not a great place to hang around for too long.

4.JPG

Entrance from Beach road

5.JPG

Pool area

6.JPG

Nice bar with stools in the water

7.JPG

2 noisy fuckers in the garden

8.JPG

Edited by Youngone

Great post @Youngone - I have been racking up points at the BKK Courtyard

If not using Marriott points - what is the hotel of choice you recommend?

Great post @Youngone - I have been racking up points at the BKK Courtyard

If not using Marriott points - what is the hotel of choice you recommend?

Thanks Mike. I'm not really a Pattaya expert, but within the same price range I've stayed a few times at the Amari Ocean Tower and at the Baraquda ( now belongs to the Accor group, when I stayed it was still Dusit). I'd rate both these hotels higher then the Marriott.

I stayed at Pattaya Marriott March 2013,
It was a very disappointing experience, i've stayed at a few other Marriott hotels & this one just didnt measure up.
The rooms are very old & tired looking, it felt like i was staying in a motel not a 5star resort
For that price i would highly recommend the Pattaya Hilton , the comparison is like night & day

The rooms in Pattaya are little old and tired. The rooms in Hilton are way better. The room rate for a deluxe room in Marriott is around 4500 THB. Hilton is about 6500 THB. Marriott has good sea view but Hilton has great sea view because the building is higher. Marriott is a little closer to Walking street than Hilton. Hilton is closer to Soi LK and Soi Diana.