DonqyJon

Thailand GPS software

Hi guys,

I've just installed South East Asia maps on CoPilot Live 8 for Android - running on HTC Desire phone - ready for my up-coming trip to LOS. The map includes Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines, Singapore, and Taiwan, but I'll only be using Thailand. The cost was £50.

Initial reports, just tried to create a favourite, and it impressively had an obscure Wat under it's in-built POIs in "Places of Worship" category. Looks like names are in 'Roman' text, so you have to be adaptable with the spelling (as always with romanised Thai). When I added the Wat to my favourites list, it displayed a bunch of icons for the name, maybe unsuccessfully trying to display Thai font, but that's easy enough to rename. I'll get onto CoPilot support to try and figure that out.

Will be hitting the Thai roads in just over a month, so will report back with a road test report some time in May, for any interested.

Good luck with that.

The GPS function on my Nokia is a little too slow to be useful when driving. So I picked up a Garmin Nuvi, which works like a charm over here.

Good luck with that.

The GPS function on my Nokia is a little too slow to be useful when driving. So I picked up a Garmin Nuvi, which works like a charm over here.

Hey Trenton,

any idea how much the Thai maps software is for the Garmin Nuvi?

I have one for the UK and Europe, but was thinking about bringing it over with me on my next trip as we are driving around the north of Thailand.

Cheers

LULT

If one looks around the Interweb, the maps can be found for free.

IIRC, maps are available at GadgetTrend in BKK for around 1,500 installed.

I suppose they might be available at BKK's software emporiums, but I've never looked.

My Garmin Nuvi was purchased over here, and has a Thai operating system. Units purchased in the US/UK/EU may have different OSs raising compatibility issues with maps. It's a good idea to check it out.

The Garmin Nuvi worked brilliantly up north. Used it to find all my hotels, and the Garmin was invaluable locating the nearest gas station when we were running on fumes.

One other thing about the Garmins: If your model has a memory slot, it's a good idea to buy s card and install any new maps there. That way one needn't worry about screwing up one's home base.