SAGuy

Samed Cabana Resort, Koh Samet

Nice report SAGuy, cheers. 

effervescent paint? Like, it was fizzing? That is bizarre.

mosquito coils I know, but what are mosquito mars? I’ve never heard of these. Similar to fly paper?

7 hours ago, hkaus72 said:

Nice report SAGuy, cheers. 

effervescent paint? Like, it was fizzing? That is bizarre.

mosquito coils I know, but what are mosquito mars? I’ve never heard of these. Similar to fly paper?

Hahaha@hkaus

Wrong choice of word - I should have written fluorescent, not effervescent. At the Naga Bar they have pots of this stuff lying around and the revellers come in and paint their faces and bodies. The group of Chinese seemed to really enjoy to. The 3 LBs not so much LOL. I asked about this later and they claimed it would take too long to remove at night. (You live and learn!). 

Mosquito mats are the small blue rectangles that you place in a plug-in receptacle that heats them up and they then dispense the Deet, which then confuses the mosquitoes and prevents you from getting bitten alive at night.  I take them everywhere in the tropics and they work pretty well. The obvious draw back is that you need a power supply for them to work! Coils are more appropriate for outdoors due to the smoke.

A couple of other tips I just remembered:

The beach restaurants on Ao Wongduean close pretty early, so best to get there before 20.00 at the latest. 

All of the beach restaurants sell the fish and shellfish by uncooked weight, so you choose what you want, they weigh it and then cook it.

Avoid the biggest place, where the fire show is. Its the busiest and has a double frontage, but is significantly more expensive than the others and thats also where the mainland Chinese tour parties go, so not conducive to a quiet dinner!

I didnt see any LB action on the island, but the receptionist at the Samed Cabana Resort was one, so we manage to blag extra towels each day LOL.

Cheers and have a Merry Christmas.

SAG

Ahh yes fluorescent, got it. Like you, I don't see the attraction, even as a kid I never really got into the fluoro zinc. Mainly cause that shit got everywhere and was a bugger to get off. 

12 hours ago, mad max said:

Thanks SAGuy.

I'm thinking about taking a ladyboy there next year.

This imformation is very helpful.

Hey Mad Max

If you plan on taking one to Koh Samet and making a good impression, i.e. lots of selfie opportunities, then I'd recommend one of the 3 higher end resorts on Ao Phrae.

They looked very nice, but the beach isn't so nice.

However, the 3 LBs I was with all preferred these 3 to Ao Wongduean and called me a "Cheap Charlie" a few times, which made me laugh!

Another suggestion for a more romantic getaway way would be Wongduean Resort at the other end of Ao Wongduean beach, which also looked very nice.

Cheers

SAG

17 hours ago, SAGuy said:

Hey Mad Max

If you plan on taking one to Koh Samet and making a good impression, i.e. lots of selfie opportunities, then I'd recommend one of the 3 higher end resorts on Ao Phrae.

They looked very nice, but the beach isn't so nice.

However, the 3 LBs I was with all preferred these 3 to Ao Wongduean and called me a "Cheap Charlie" a few times, which made me laugh!

Another suggestion for a more romantic getaway way would be Wongduean Resort at the other end of Ao Wongduean beach, which also looked very nice.

Cheers

SAG

I just looked at those resorts.They certainly would make a good impression.

Cheers

I've taken my lb gf to Samet twice. Stayed at Silver Sands and Avatara at Sai Kaew. Decent places (preferred Silver Sands) and the first trip in Oct 2016 was relaxing and peaceful. Went again in Feb this year and it was swarming with Chinese tourists. Also a noticeable amount of plastic  pollution in the water  and on the shore. A couple of gripes but still a good place for a short getaway. Took a scooter over to Ao Phrae. The beach was deserted and the resorts look good if a little ek-pensive as the gf would say.