Sign in to follow this  
Jackman11007

Travel Cameras

I’m thinking I’ll be need a half decent camera for this upcoming trip!! Obviously for sight seeing and hopefully some models also 

what cameras and camcorders does everyone use? 

Smells of 1995 in here. Surely you just use your phone and/or laptop? Unless you're an enthusiast I guess, then I prefer the JVC VideoMovie, because you can insert the VHS directly from the camcorder into the player with no adapter required. 

c344c81f6068e023e52c05f7938b359d--the-future-movie-back-to-the-future.jpg

Might see what I can get in duty free. 

Was hoping to not surpass $500 was looking at the canon PowerShot sx 430 as it has good reviews for a novice like myself 

2 hours ago, Jackman11007 said:

Might see what I can get in duty free. 

Was hoping to not surpass $500 was looking at the canon PowerShot sx 430 as it has good reviews for a novice like myself 

Duty free is a rip for electronics, the only real savings you make will be on items where extra duty is applied such as booze, tobacco and perfume. 

Check out http://www.staticice.com.au/

Plenty of options for the Canon you want http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=Canon+sx430&spos=3

46 minutes ago, Ropey said:

Duty free is a rip for electronics, the only real savings you make will be on items where extra duty is applied such as booze, tobacco and perfume. 

It's also a myth that electronics are cheaper in Asia. They aren't and they are frequently quite a bit more expensive than in the west. 

For US residents, duty free is hardly ever a bargain. It's only good for items that are sometimes hard to find in the states, such as certain Japanese whiskeys. 

I did see some deals at Changi airport... which made me think duty free but I did think if I couldn’t find what I wanted or a good deal I’d be stuck with my iPhone. 

Obviously I need some decent pics for a trip report haha! :)

11 minutes ago, oliver17 said:

It's also a myth that electronics are cheaper in Asia. They aren't and they are frequently quite a bit more expensive than in the west. 

For US residents, duty free is hardly ever a bargain. It's only good for items that are sometimes hard to find in the states, such as certain Japanese whiskeys. 

My last laptop purchase I flew to HK and ferry to shenzhen and had a dodgy weekend there, then purchased my laptop in HK and flew home to bkk, and broke even on the cheapest of that laptop I could find in Bangkok. Thailand certainly isn't even good value for higher spec electronics. 

2 minutes ago, Jackman11007 said:

I did see some deals at Changi airport... which made me think duty free but I did think if I couldn’t find what I wanted or a good deal I’d be stuck with my iPhone. 

Pics? We're looking forward to the movie now! :D 

6 minutes ago, Jackman11007 said:

The other good reason for buying in Aus is the consumer guarantees act, which Singapore and other Asian markets tend to not have. It often means the product delivered to Aus is of a more robust spec than the model released for Asia as the retailer is liable for replacement which is not the case in Asia who will push you off to the manufacturer, who will then decline a fix or replacement as you didn't fax in the warranty within 7 days or some other silly reason. 

14 minutes ago, Ropey said:

Pics? We're looking forward to the movie now! :D 

Ahhh unsure about that one! :Rolling___: 

11 minutes ago, Ropey said:

The other good reason for buying in Aus is the consumer guarantees act, which Singapore and other Asian markets tend to not have. It often means the product delivered to Aus is of a more robust spec than the model released for Asia as the retailer is liable for replacement which is not the case in Asia who will push you off to the manufacturer, who will then decline a fix or replacement as you didn't fax in the warranty within 7 days or some other silly reason. 

Yeh when you put it like that it’s not really worth the risk. Thanks Ropey! 

11 hours ago, Jackman11007 said:

Fair enough mate, in that case I've heard good things about the Panasonic Lumix TZ range. I think the most recent ones TZ80 and TZ90 can be had in the A$400 range or even less if you can get it on sale.

You can also look for older models on sale, here's the Sony RX100 for sub $500

https://www.ryda.com.au/sony-rx100-cyber-shot-camera

It's a superb camera and at the time was used as the 'second' camera for many pros, it was that good. Blew away every other camera in it's segment. I've used the later editions and been very impressed with it's quality.

Maybe I'm a bit picky but I've used my ex's Canon SX420 (the older one) and apart from being able to zoom really bloody far haha, I didn't think the images were particularly much better than what you can get with a phone nowadays. 

With that said, it's your money of course and I don't wanna pressure you into spending more than you want/need.

On one hand I enjoy taking photos because it captures moments that often cannot be recreated, and having the right gear allows me to better achieve this. On the other, I've tried to cut down wastage as there's no point overspending on something you'll rarely use.

Anyway apologies for the long rants. Regardless of what you end up using I'm sure you'll have a blast regardless. Just the mental images of some of the girls I've been with will stay with me forever hah!

12 hours ago, ssmurry said:

Fair enough mate, in that case I've heard good things about the Panasonic Lumix TZ range. I think the most recent ones TZ80 and TZ90 can be had in the A$400 range or even less if you can get it on sale.

You can also look for older models on sale, here's the Sony RX100 for sub $500

https://www.ryda.com.au/sony-rx100-cyber-shot-camera

It's a superb camera and at the time was used as the 'second' camera for many pros, it was that good. Blew away every other camera in it's segment. I've used the later editions and been very impressed with it's quality.

Maybe I'm a bit picky but I've used my ex's Canon SX420 (the older one) and apart from being able to zoom really bloody far haha, I didn't think the images were particularly much better than what you can get with a phone nowadays. 

With that said, it's your money of course and I don't wanna pressure you into spending more than you want/need.

On one hand I enjoy taking photos because it captures moments that often cannot be recreated, and having the right gear allows me to better achieve this. On the other, I've tried to cut down wastage as there's no point overspending on something you'll rarely use.

Anyway apologies for the long rants. Regardless of what you end up using I'm sure you'll have a blast regardless. Just the mental images of some of the girls I've been with will stay with me forever hah!

It’s all appreciated thanks mate!