Sign in to follow this  
SAGuy

Citrus Suites Sukhumvit Soi 13

So after my 4 nights at Citrus Suites Soi 11 and a 2-nighter at the Adelphi in PAT I returned to BKK and decided to try Citrus Suites on soi 13.

Even though the 2 hotels are in the same chain and are within stumbling distance of each other via the cut out between soi 11 and soi 13, they are like chalk and cheese.

Citrus 13, is newer and smaller and had far less of the customer types that the soi 11 seemed to solely focus on.

The staff were more pleasant and engaged as befits a smaller hotel and did me many favours over the 3 different stays I had there in Sep-19.

There is no tuk tuk service but the walk to Sukhumvit is shorter than the walk from Citrus soi 11.

LB friends? No problem! Multiple LB friends? No problem!

Breakfast was targeted more for farangs and there were no unofficial 'male only' breakfast areas which existed at soi 11.

Breakfast at both joints is 0600-10.30, which when you think about it is good for mongers. You can either roll in from xyz at 0600, or maybe get a few hours sleep and join at 10.15. I did have an embarrassing moment when I bumped into BGSC at about 06.15. He had just woken up after an early night and I had just rolled back in after a night out on the tiles.

Soi 13 is a quiet soi so taxis are infrequent. So I'd recommend using Grab Taxi. There are plenty of convenience stores, massage joints and a few bars. 

There is a resident taxi that charges THB 500 to Don Mueang which I used one early morning, rather than risk missing the flight to Chiang Mai.

The rooms varied over the 3 stays. The 22m2 room was quite claustrophobic, but the other 2 were fine. The suite was very good and I got it for 'free' as an upgrade for booking direct.

Would I repeat again?

Most definitely. For a sub-THB 1,500 hotel its great value and a decent location. The staff are very helpful (I left my cases there 2 times) and its modern and clean. Its a LOT better value than the soi 11 location, more convenient and less irritating.

There's a great laundry directly across the street in the basement of Sukhumvit Suites Hotel - charging THB 69 per Kg and they never lost a single sock!

You should also consider booking directly, as they claim to offer better rates than Agoda and extra privileges e.g. room upgrades, early/late check-in etc.

Cheers

SAG

1 hour ago, SAGuy said:

Citrus 13, is newer and smaller and had far less of the customer types that the soi 11 

No it’s not newer than Citrus 11,  as I was staying in Citrus 13 a few years before Citrus 11 opened.

Citrus Soi 11 opened in early 2015

Citrus 13 sometime in 2012 according to my mate who’s office was in the building opposite 

Thanks for the clarification OTS.

Its certainly in much better nick than Citrus soi 11, so that's probably down to the volume of guests then, plus less milling around the corridors and lobby...

I have been working out of the Trendy Building on soi 13, on and off since 2010, but for some reason never considered Citrus until this trip. (My usual go to Citadines soi 8 is getting a  refurb).

One other tip is that there is a cut out to soi 15 via the newish building about 150 metres on the left of the hotel. That cut out also leads to a sub soi , just before the Dream Hotel on soi 15, which can take you to soi 17.

There is also a cut out via the Ambassador Hotel which takes you onto soi 11, via air-conditioned passage ways. I used this quite a lot so as to get to au bon pain for a coffee. 

Cheers

SAG

6 hours ago, SAGuy said:

So after my 4 nights at Citrus Suites Soi 11 and a 2-nighter at the Adelphi in PAT I returned to BKK and decided to try Citrus Suites on soi 13.

Even though the 2 hotels are in the same chain and are within stumbling distance of each other via the cut out between soi 11 and soi 13, they are like chalk and cheese.

Citrus 13, is newer and smaller and had far less of the customer types that the soi 11 seemed to solely focus on.

The staff were more pleasant and engaged as befits a smaller hotel and did me many favours over the 3 different stays I had there in Sep-19.

There is no tuk tuk service but the walk to Sukhumvit is shorter than the walk from Citrus soi 11.

LB friends? No problem! Multiple LB friends? No problem!

Breakfast was targeted more for farangs and there were no unofficial 'male only' breakfast areas which existed at soi 11.

Breakfast at both joints is 0600-10.30, which when you think about it is good for mongers. You can either roll in from xyz at 0600, or maybe get a few hours sleep and join at 10.15. I did have an embarrassing moment when I bumped into BGSC at about 06.15. He had just woken up after an early night and I had just rolled back in after a night out on the tiles.

Soi 13 is a quiet soi so taxis are infrequent. So I'd recommend using Grab Taxi. There are plenty of convenience stores, massage joints and a few bars. 

There is a resident taxi that charges THB 500 to Don Mueang which I used one early morning, rather than risk missing the flight to Chiang Mai.

The rooms varied over the 3 stays. The 22m2 room was quite claustrophobic, but the other 2 were fine. The suite was very good and I got it for 'free' as an upgrade for booking direct.

Would I repeat again?

Most definitely. For a sub-THB 1,500 hotel its great value and a decent location. The staff are very helpful (I left my cases there 2 times) and its modern and clean. Its a LOT better value than the soi 11 location, more convenient and less irritating.

There's a great laundry directly across the street in the basement of Sukhumvit Suites Hotel - charging THB 69 per Kg and they never lost a single sock!

You should also consider booking directly, as they claim to offer better rates than Agoda and extra privileges e.g. room upgrades, early/late check-in etc.

Cheers

SAG

Hey thanks for this SAG. I have hopped around but have settled nicely at Adelphi. They charge 2500B per night and I guess I am feeling the pinch now although their rooms are large, suite -like and very comfortable.  I especially like their inroom washer/dryer, separate kitchen etc.

May I ask what you are paying for at Citrus 13 please. For the 50sqm. Thanks. 

Hey there Danum

I made the 3rd booking directly with them and it was around THB 1,500 for the suite, including breakfast, which is buffet style and OK, as they cook eggs to order etc.

There is no kitchen and I used the laundry across the street, which at THB 69 per Kg was a great deal. Lower Sukhumvit is typically THB 100-150 per Kg. 

Other advantages of booking directly with them is early and late check in/out and they guarantee to beat the Agoda rate. (Agoda charges 10-15% of the room rate).

If you want a kitchenette type set up, there's the Citadines, which is a bit further down soi 8 from the Adelphi and they charged around THB 1800-2,000 per night if you book directly with them. That was my usual go to place, but the rooms were being refurbished in Sep-19, so there were no vacancies.

I do actually prefer that side of Sukhumvit and Citadines has a free 24/7 tuk tuk service to Sukhumvit. 

I do agree, with the weakening USD and GBP etc. against the THB, we are all seeing the need for better value, so I'd certainly shop around a bit.

Cheers

SAG

11 hours ago, SAGuy said:

Hey there Danum

I made the 3rd booking directly with them and it was around THB 1,500 for the suite, including breakfast, which is buffet style and OK, as they cook eggs to order etc.

There is no kitchen and I used the laundry across the street, which at THB 69 per Kg was a great deal. Lower Sukhumvit is typically THB 100-150 per Kg. 

Other advantages of booking directly with them is early and late check in/out and they guarantee to beat the Agoda rate. (Agoda charges 10-15% of the room rate).

If you want a kitchenette type set up, there's the Citadines, which is a bit further down soi 8 from the Adelphi and they charged around THB 1800-2,000 per night if you book directly with them. That was my usual go to place, but the rooms were being refurbished in Sep-19, so there were no vacancies.

I do actually prefer that side of Sukhumvit and Citadines has a free 24/7 tuk tuk service to Sukhumvit. 

I do agree, with the weakening USD and GBP etc. against the THB, we are all seeing the need for better value, so I'd certainly shop around a bit.

Cheers

SAG

Great hotel and great location, professional services,stayed many times before, I'm there now 

5 hours ago, mike746 said:

Great hotel and great location, professional services,stayed many times before, I'm there now 

Looks like we missed each other by a week Mike - I left last Sunday.

Enjoy the stay in BKK and if you ever need anything, just ask Oui who is at the door during the day, he is very helpful.

I think the breakfast crew there has been de-sensitised to LBs appearing early on most mornings, so never worry about that. LOL.

Cheers

SAG

51 minutes ago, SAGuy said:

Looks like we missed each other by a week Mike - I left last Sunday.

Enjoy the stay in BKK and if you ever need anything, just ask Oui who is at the door during the day, he is very helpful.

I think the breakfast crew there has been de-sensitised to LBs appearing early on most mornings, so never worry about that. LOL.

Cheers

SAG

Thanks SA Guy, i have stayed hear 10 times +, yes he's a helpful guy, excellent hotel

yeah, i always take my LB GF for breakfast, 

Good on you mate

On 10/6/2019 at 1:31 AM, SAGuy said:

Hey there Danum

Cheers

SAG

Thanks for this.

I pay adelphi grande 2500B for the deluxe suite with breakfast but I must say their room is large with kitchen n washer/dryer. 

But you have put me on to a new thing with Citrus 13 and their 50sqm suite room for 1500B. That is indeed a very good price and it is not too far from the BTS too.

I am planning a Feb 2020 visit (I would like to return this year but  I cant possibly do 3 visits s year) for 10 days and i am already shopping around. Citadines - I thought I read somewhere that you weren't too impressed with your last stay there?!

I have emailed Adelphi grande for a more competitive rate and I'm hoping they do otherwise Citrus 13 would be where I'm headed.

Thanks again. 

Can anyone compare the Citrus Suites 11 and 13 with Citrus Suites Soi 6? I'm fond of the Soi 6 location; just a short walk to Chaos 9, Nana, and CIRB as well as the Be there soon. .

Thanks.

16 hours ago, Danum99 said:

Thanks for this.

I pay adelphi grande 2500B for the deluxe suite with breakfast but I must say their room is large with kitchen n washer/dryer. 

But you have put me on to a new thing with Citrus 13 and their 50sqm suite room for 1500B. That is indeed a very good price and it is not too far from the BTS too.

I am planning a Feb 2020 visit (I would like to return this year but  I cant possibly do 3 visits s year) for 10 days and i am already shopping around. Citadines - I thought I read somewhere that you weren't too impressed with your last stay there?!

I have emailed Adelphi grande for a more competitive rate and I'm hoping they do otherwise Citrus 13 would be where I'm headed.

Thanks again. 

Hi there Danum

Its well worth shopping around, but I would caution you around the impact of seasonality on BKK hotel prices.

February will be high season and so the hotels typically increase their prices, which makes sense. (Make hay while the sun shines and all that).

The hotels in BKK typically have 3 seasons - low, shoulder and high season. I was at Citrus in Sep-19, which is considered shoulder season, i.e. between Low and High, so I would expect that the prices will be higher from about November onwards.

Cheers

SAG

11 hours ago, Bwana_LB said:

Can anyone compare the Citrus Suites 11 and 13 with Citrus Suites Soi 6? I'm fond of the Soi 6 location; just a short walk to Chaos 9, Nana, and CIRB as well as the Be there soon. .

Thanks.

Hakuna Matata Bwana

I would assume that as they are all part of the same chain, then the rooms will be similar, just the pricing and guest types may vary.

I have compared Citrus 11 and 13, but have never stayed at the soi 6 location.

Citrus 13 definitely comes out on top, as its in a better condition, nicer customers, more convenient and cheaper.

Maybe run some tests on Agoda between Citrus 13 and 6 and see what the differences are?

Cheers

SAG

12 hours ago, Bwana_LB said:

Thanks.

Soi 6 is a much better location for the bars and a much newer hotel than the other two.

My own personal preference between 11 and 13 would be 11 as a good location for Soi 11 bars and restaurants and the hotel itself situated in Soi 11 alley. From which you can take a few minutes stroll to Soi 3 then on to Soi 4. 

I found the rooms so much better than the 13 location as it doesn’t let in as much light and seem dark all the time. Where as 11 seemed much brighter with bigger windows. I’ve always had an upgrade at 11 and never at the 13 location. 

The only negative with 11 is there is no pool but you can use the Soi 13 pool

I’ve done a more in depth view on both in my hotel thread as for what you get from both. Found on pages 4+5

But it’s just personal preference for 11 for me. Each person will have their own different preferences 

Many thanks, SAG and OTS. I think the absence of a pool would be a deal-breaker for me. Schlepping across the way to use a pool doesn't really work, as I have enjoyed running from my room to the jacuzzi with my LB guests in the evening at the Soi 6 location. Weather permitting, I'm poolside reading and listening to music for an hour or two every day.