Thanks

Antidiarrhea Medicine in Thailand OTC

If you're having a meal right now you might want to skip this post...

Do you have any suggestions for an effective yet easy on the stomach OTC antidiarrhea medicine in Thailand?

I sometimes use Imodium (loperamide):

13.Imodium.jpg

but I'm not sure if I wanted to take it longer than one or two days in a row as it's very strong. They are not available at convenience stores, only at pharmacies (about 50 b). Charcoal:

post-82547-0-66903700-1435314252_thumb.jpg

is better for the stomach I guess but it's not quite as effective as Imodium... At convenience stores in Bangkok they sell a purple colored pack of "Antidiarrheal":

IMG_20190803_121456.thumb.jpg.5fb0bc7f33d9ab7224d928031fbae29b.jpg

but I don't know what the ingredients are and how effective it is...

Seirogan toi A isn't available at convenience stores, only at pharmacies:

IMG_20190803_122335.thumb.jpg.6cbcb1ba07fd081c98696514b3723a5c.jpg

Any suggestions (other than skipping Thai food, drinking lots of water or not drinking orange juice and similar)?

Edited by Thanks

33 minutes ago, Thanks said:

If you're having a meal right now please skip this post...

Do you have any suggestions for an effective yet easy on the stomach OTC antidiarrhea medicine in Thailand?

I sometimes use Imodium (loperamide) but I'm not sure if I wanted to take it longer than one or two days in a row as it's very strong. Charcoal is better for the stomach I guess but it's not quite as effective as Imodium... At convenience stores in Bangkok they sell a purple colored pack of "Antidiarrheal" but I don't know what the ingredients are and how effective it is...

Any suggestions (other than skipping Thai food, drinking lots of water or not drinking orange juice and similar)?

IMO Imodium is the best for standard shits, if it persists best to have a stool test done as it may be something that requires a coarse of medication. The eloctralite rehydration stuff they sell at the pharmacy are worth taking...don't be alarmed if it makes your piss go a weird colour!

Imodium effectively paralyzes the intestine. Not a go-to remedy. My doctor guided me back to pepto-bismol brand in USA, but any bismal containing concoction wherever you may be). Standard dosage to start, double in an hour if not okay, and then double again as necessary.   After that, and nothing works you need a doctor. One time in Bangkok.  nothing worked to cure explosive bouts, so to speak. After emptying out, I took a taxi to BNH, emergency. They put me on intravenous fluids and antibiotics, within 30 minutes I was well on path to recovery.  

A guiding word. I lost a 38 yo otherwise healthy colleague to diarrhea, he was about 18 hours suffering, drinking lots of water but no food.  He got up at night, drank some more water, then fainted. . He was driven to  a Miami hospital, suffering  a heart attack as  the car got to the hospital entrance. They used standard emergency procedure, shock paddles, air bag, but he died. The autopsy showed severe loss of electrolytes. Basically, his nerves were firing, but he had limited conductivity to the heart muscles. Parents know, rush a child to the hospital if they show 10% weight loss. It's an adult problem too.  

On 8/3/2019 at 5:44 AM, taaseesanuk said:

IMO Imodium is the best for standard shits, if it persists best to have a stool test done as it may be something that requires a coarse of medication. The electrolyte re-hydration stuff they sell at the pharmacy are worth taking...don't be alarmed if it makes your piss go a weird colour!

See my post above. If my colleague had that stuff. he would have been at lower risk of dying. 

1 hour ago, Robert.Farang said:

pepto-bismol brand in USA

The Thai 'equivalent' I think is called 'Gastro Bismol', available in pharmacies / drug stores / chemists throughout Bangkok:

Gastro-Bismol_Gastro-Bismol%20L6002PPS0.

Alternatively:

8p.png

1 hour ago, Robert.Farang said:

See my post above. If my colleague had that stuff. he would have been at lower risk of dying. 

I had viral gastroenteritis many years ago in Chiang Mai...Those rehydration powders was a god send. Sorry to hear about your colleague. I have always been ok using Imodium short term and it is well accepted in the UK.

On 8/5/2019 at 1:41 PM, Thanks said:

The Thai 'equivalent' I think is called 'Gastro Bismol', available in pharmacies / drug stores / chemists throughout Bangkok:

Gastro-Bismol_Gastro-Bismol%20L6002PPS0.

Alternatively:   Aaah yes, I recognize these! The "morning after"  fresh raw oysters in Chaing Rai.  

8p.png

I do Imodium as well. Another Thai medicine for bad stomach / shits is activated charcoal. It absorbs anything it can in the stomach. Many hospitals use this with poison cases. Obviously you don't want to take 5 mins after your high blood pressure medicine.

As has been stated diarrhea is nothing to mess with. When I use Imodium I am also preparing to see a doctor if I do not get immediate relief.