Thanks

Artbox Sukhumvit Soi 10 Chuvit Garden (CIB)

"Artbox on Sukhumvit soi 10 / the land also known as Chuwit Park has proven to be popular over the past year, and managed to open before Bangkok came out of lock-down. The vendors operating at Artbox have 6-month contracts, a clear sign it is all very temporary. There have been a lot of rumours about what will happen on that piece of land and word broke this week that a giant office tower and hotel will go up. To be called The Edition Hotel Bangkok, it will be 51 storeys and dwarf most buildings in the area. Artbox will be around for a little while yet…so enjoy it while you can."

https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/weekly-column/2020/06/off-the-menu/

"Artbox on Sukhumvit soi 10 / the land also known as Chuwit Park has proven to be popular over the past year, and managed to open before Bangkok came out of lock-down. The vendors operating at Artbox have 6-month contracts, a clear sign it is all very temporary. There have been a lot of rumours about what will happen on that piece of land and word broke this week that a giant office tower and hotel will go up. To be called The Edition Hotel Bangkok, it will be 51 storeys and dwarf most buildings in the area. Artbox will be around for a little while yet…so enjoy it while you can."
https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/weekly-column/2020/06/off-the-menu/

Disappointing news, artbox was a nice place in that area, something different..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Such a shame but I guess inevitable...a chunk of land in that location is never going to be occupied by small scale vendors for any length of time.

1 hour ago, taaseesanuk said:

Such a shame but I guess inevitable...a chunk of land in that location is never going to be occupied by small scale vendors for any length of time.

Did they ever replace that dinosaur amusement park thing up the street with anything? It's been closed for a couple of years, but there was no construction activity on the property last time I saw it. That land has got to be worth God knows what. 

I actually visited it with an LB once. It did have an old school low tech sort of charm and it was hard not to like it for what it was. That said, I passed on riding the giant ferris wheel because I know it caught on fire at least twice. Thailand conquered the virus but the guarantee of riding a ferris wheel without being incinerated is asking too much, apparently. 

7 hours ago, oliver17 said:

Did they ever replace that dinosaur amusement park thing up the street with anything? It's been closed for a couple of years, but there was no construction activity on the property last time I saw it. That land has got to be worth God knows what.  

They've got big walls up around it and I'm assuming plenty of construction going on behind. The Mall Group owns the land and plans to build yet another mall, Emsphere, to go with the ones they already have in the area- Emporium and Emquartier. Apparently supposed to open this year but I'd say unlikely at this rate.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/dinosaur-planet-closes-makes-way-yet-another-mall-phrom-phong-station/

The good thing is that they plan to build an arena at the Emsphere, not the biggest at 6,000 capacity but at least there'll be a live event venue that's actually downtown.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/1548074/the-mall-flits-into-new-arena

What a shame! Was a good place to spend one night in Bangkok...

Edited by Thanks

55 minutes ago, TheSodomite said:

Anyone remember when it was a beer bar area about 15 years ago? What was its name?

It ended in very unpleasant circumstances. 

I remember it, a mate of mine ran a bar at the back. Partnered with a policeman obviously so he made no money at all. I can't for the life of me remember the name but I do remember it coming and down and being cleared overnight. Magnificent piece of military logistics. Not that there were any witnesses.

10 minutes ago, lbshagger said:

I remember it, a mate of mine ran a bar at the back. Partnered with a policeman obviously so he made no money at all. I can't for the life of me remember the name but I do remember it coming and down and being cleared overnight. Magnificent piece of military logistics. Not that there were any witnesses.

2003?

http://www.bangkokeyes.com/gestapo.html

fucking hell, I’m going to die one day 

#backinmyday 

2 minutes ago, TheSodomite said:

2003?

http://www.bangkokeyes.com/gestapo.html

fucking hell, I’m going to die one day 

#backinmyday 

Thanks for that, Sukhumvit Square, it would have never came back to me. That article mentions Clinton Plaza also. Another failure, the last thing you needed halfway up Sukhumvit between Nana Plaza and the Cowboy was another gogo bar area. The Dolls House was about the only one in there that was worth a visit. All fond memories now.

So many Bangkok nightlife areas have gone 

personal favs were Sukhumvit 1 plaza where Guess bar started out and Soi Zero just over the road 

walked past the old Soi Zero last night, what a mess it is now, would still make a great bar area 

#backinmyday 

1 hour ago, TheSodomite said:

So many Bangkok nightlife areas have gone 

personal favs were Sukhumvit 1 plaza where Guess bar started out and Soi Zero just over the road 

walked past the old Soi Zero last night, what a mess it is now, would still make a great bar area 

#backinmyday 

Good ole Guess Bar 1 As to be one of the best line up’s of any Lounge bar.  I still keep in touch with a few Fern Jane and Nan

Its been Legacy Express Hotel for well over a decade. 

Edited by OneTrueSaxon