Ropey

Smoking banned at 6 Thailand Airports

FYI pulled from Thaivisa News:

'' Also in February it was announced that smoking has been banned at six airports in Thailand.

Smoking rooms have been removed Suvarnabhumi, Don Mueang, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Hat Yai and Mae Fah Luang airports, with smokers now only permitted to smoke in special smoking zones located outside terminal buildings.`

It's also worth noting for those who vape, it's is illegal to vape in Thailand, police make good money out of vapers in public. 

Staying strictly on topic here Ropey...

I can confirm that this is certainly correct for BKK, DMK and UBP airports. In March I spent a fruitless 30 minutes walking around BKK looking for the 2 smoking rooms that I used to use, only to be told that they had all been shut down.

This was also the case for DMK and UBP in May.

My advice is to binge smoke outside in one of the designated areas, prior to going through security, otherwise it could be a long flight!

I don't know why they did this, as the rooms were sealed and so wouldn't affect non-smokers. From experience, once an airport does this, then it will rarely ever go back to the previous set-up.

It will be very interesting to see how the hordes of Chinese package tourists, who are famed for their law abiding nature and non-smoking, will be able to handle these new regulations. Maybe that's the Thai master plan - generate a big extra income from fines levied on illicit smoking in the toilets?

Cheers

SAG

16 minutes ago, SAGuy said:

Staying strictly on topic here Ropey...

I can confirm that this is certainly correct for BKK, DMK and UBP airports. In March I spent a fruitless 30 minutes walking around BKK looking for the 2 smoking rooms that I used to use, only to be told that they had all been shut down.

This was also the case for DMK and UBP in May.

My advice is to binge smoke outside in one of the designated areas, prior to going through security, otherwise it could be a long flight!

I don't know why they did this, as the rooms were sealed and so wouldn't affect non-smokers. From experience, once an airport does this, then it will rarely ever go back to the previous set-up.

It will be very interesting to see how the hordes of Chinese package tourists, who are famed for their law abiding nature and non-smoking, will be able to handle these new regulations. Maybe that's the Thai master plan - generate a big extra income from fines levied on illicit smoking in the toilets?

Cheers

SAG

Who would be a smoker these days! £10 a packet in the UK! Can't see why there is an issue if smokers want to vape though, it actually smells ok.

1 minute ago, taaseesanuk said:

Who would be a smoker these days! £10 a packet in the UK! Can't see why there is an issue if smokers want to vape though, it actually smells ok.

Hey Taas

Wandering slightly off topic - one of the benefits of living in the third world is that lung torpedoes can still be purchased for less than USD 1, which shows how much sin tax you are paying in the UK!

Regarding the illegality of vaping in Thailand, I wonder if its a coincidence that it is rumoured that the Thai Minister of Health owns a substantial shareholding in the cigarette importing monopoly?

TIT after all!

Cheers

SAG

2 minutes ago, SAGuy said:

Hey Taas

Wandering slightly off topic - one of the benefits of living in the third world is that lung torpedoes can still be purchased for less than USD 1, which shows how much sin tax you are paying in the UK!

Regarding the illegality of vaping in Thailand, I wonder if its a coincidence that it is rumoured that the Thai Minister of Health owns a substantial shareholding in the cigarette importing monopoly?

TIT after all!

Cheers

SAG

Back in the day when I was a smoker I remember smoking a pack of krong Thip per day.....christ, they must have been three times the strength of Marlboro reds!

Maybe they are now outlawed a bit like the Mekhong whiskey we used to drink as a poor man's alternative to JD and coke!

On 6/23/2019 at 12:52 AM, taaseesanuk said:

outlawed a bit like the Mekhong whiskey 

Why would you think that Mekhong whisk(e)y was outlawed in Thailand, Taas?

12 minutes ago, Thanks said:

Why would you think that Mekhong whisk(e)y was outlawed in Thailand, Taas?

I asked for it back in January and was told that is not sold  widely due to it's poor quality.

Perhaps that is just the retailers choice and that it is still available, I have to say I can't remember seeing it for ages.

The #1 spirit in Bangkok is SangSom I was told recently. In most farang bars in Bangkok the only local spirit you get is SangSom.

But I've bought a small bottle (350ml) of Mekhong (and one Hong Thong) recently at a 7-Eleven in Bangkok as a souvenir (less than 300 B for both). I think Mekhong is more popular in Isaan?

Nevertheless I'm drinking a shot of SangSom right now as I am writing this to your health Taas - and after that another one to the other BMs as well...

:Drinker:

I've tried Thai cigarettes once but though the price was ridiculously low, the awful cigarette packs keep me as a light smoker away from buying more...

:_smokelots:

At the airport or other places where I could annoy non-smoking people I don't smoke at all...

Edited by Thanks

28 minutes ago, Thanks said:

The #1 spirit in Bangkok is SangSom I was told recently. In most farang bars in Bangkok the only local spirit you get is SangSom.

But I've bought a small bottle (350cl) of Mekhong (and one Hong Thong) recently at a 7-Eleven in Bangkok as a souvenir. I think Mekhong is more popular in Isaan?

Nevertheless I'm drinking a shot of SangSom right now as I am writing this to your health Taas - and after that another one to the other BMs as well...

:Drinker:

I've tried Thai cigarettes once but though the price was ridiculously low, the awful cigarette packs keep me as a light smoker away from buying more...

:_smokelots:

At the airport or other places where I could annoy non-smoking people I don't smoke at all...

I am pleased to hear that it is still around...Mekhong and coke was my default tipple 30 years ago...have to say I wouldn't swap it for Jack Daniels now!

The krong Thip fags were bad but I remember doing the day trips across to Burma from Chiang Rai for cheap knock off European fags...the carton may have said Marlboro light

but they tasted nothing like them...god only knows what it did to my lungs!

* Fags is British slang for cigarettes for anyone confused!! :_smokelots: