Sign in to follow this  
Knobby

Getting a Thai Drivers licence

I can Google it for some of the details but this is aimed at those BM's who have done/got one in lets say recent year or two.

How long does it take from start to finish?

What did you have to do?

How long in a class room?

Do you go out on the road with an instructor?

What forms are needed?

Did you need a medical from a Doctor?

Does it cover for car and motorbikes?

And what was the cost?

Thanks.

Wrong plan. Apply for an International Driving Licence (IDL) in your home country. It is valid 3 years. If you stay in Thailand longer (not only on a tourist visa), you can get a Thai driving licence without any tests, based on the IDL.

36 minutes ago, Nick Bullseye said:

Wrong plan. Apply for an International Driving Licence (IDL) in your home country. It is valid 3 years. If you stay in Thailand longer (not only on a tourist visa), you can get a Thai driving licence without any tests, based on the IDL.

I think that depends on the country, I just used my regular driving license initially and that's fine with the police here unless youre not on a short stay visa then you need to move to a local license, which I have done, but it's well documented on other forums with a Google search so I'd prefer not to go into all the details on here. As usual with Thailand, ones persons experience doesn't often match another's either, so you just have to go do it yourself. 

2 hours ago, Nick Bullseye said:

I got one of those.Dunno about 3 years though? UK is only 1 year.

First one is for a year.

You need copy of a passport. If it's not from U.K or U.S or Australia you better get international one.

You need a proof of residency, and a medical.

In other case you can take a test( you have agency that can guide you).

After the first one you get next for 5 years.

But you can't get it on a tourist visa.