Rodrigo

Rabbit card

For the first time today I was asked for my passport when I went to top up my rabbit card.

I had topped up twice during last week and they never asked for it. There is a notice saying it's the anti money laundering act and this rule is effective from 19 February 2019.

I had to get someone else to top up my card and now I feel I would not be allowed to top it up myself.

I accept asking for passport the first time but this is ridiculous.

When I first read about this a few months back I tried to remember if the gov't asked for passports when topping up your cell phone if you had not had to show your passport to get one. All of my cell phone sims I ever got I had to show a passport from 2014 onwards. I suppose it is intrusive but I think my country does the same thing. I don't think I can get a train or bus pass in the USA without some sort of ID, though I can get on a bus or a train and pay the fare cash without ID. Same as here.  As we move to a cashless society.........

Next time I'm in BKK I'll top up my card and if asked I'll show them my Thai drivers license and see if that works. It probably will as the license has my passport # on it.

I think it's because Rabbit has moved beyond just being a metro card and recently offers payments across board from 7/11 to phone bills and Line top up too. So they will come under a legal onus similar to banks now instead of what it once was. 

Yes but I have no problems with them asking for it one time. They told me every time I top up I have to show my passport.

Just like the SIM card too. The first time I had to do all the paperwork. But after that they never ask for it. 

Yeah it will be annoying, though you're also supposed to have your passport on you at all times if a tourist. But we all know few people actually do, perhaps take a photo of it on your phone and keep the image handy when you need it. I rarely use the bts so my rabbit card probably won't need top up for another couple of years. 

I went to register my Rabbit card with passport at Mo Chit a little while back, at the same time that then allowed me to link my Rabbit Card up to be used with LINE pay.

As a result I no longer have to top up credit on my rabbit card now, it deducts the fare straight out of my bank and I get a message on LINE as soon as I swipe out at the station.

Example:

You can see a record of your rides as well

57e59e85ea3b61b14f9a09716aa3d8ee.jpg

8af3e5774c3e14c3e028d52294ae595b.jpg

Suppose you need thai bank account and doesn't work with credit card

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A720F met Tapatalk

7 hours ago, gainsbarre said:

Suppose you need thai bank account and doesn't work with credit card

I've got mine linked to Thai Bank Account using my Debit card.

17 hours ago, Rodrigo said:

today I was asked for my passport when I went to top up my rabbit card.

I had topped up twice during last week and they never asked for it. There is a notice saying it's the anti money laundering act and this rule is effective from 19 February 2019.

Happened to me too a couple of weeks ago...

I had been using mine for about a year without any problem. Then suddenly I was asked to show my passport.

I didn't have my pp with me (just a photocopy) and instead gave the girl my passport card / ID card. She entered the number in her computer and that was it. Next time I topped up I wasn't asked again to present any form of ID.

I think if you want to get a Mangmoom card (for the MRT) you also have to show your ID first...

Mangmoon card would be great if it also included BTS
As it is, only for MRT (Blue and Purple), Buses and the Airport Link.
Agree with that
Typical Thai to have a brilliant system but not get the best out of it

On 5/3/2019 at 1:37 AM, gainsbarre said:

Agree with that
Typical Thai to have a brilliant system but not get the best out of it

Thats the TIT card