Sign in to follow this  
seeker2008

Proof of Accomodation

Hi All,

Just posted on Pattaya Forum so I thought I would do the same on here.

I was reading Stickman web site and was informed that Immigration had requested proof of Accommodation from a tourist whilst staying in Thailand.

I always carry accommodation confirmation in my pocket to present to the place where I am staying - so no problem.

I do not know if this was a one off or not so be aware just in case.

Maybe the rules are changing again this week.

I will be going back in June so we will see what happens.

By the way I was dressed in trousers and shirt and staying for three weeks.

I think it's a bunch of bs either by the police or the guy who talked about it. 

There is nothing in Thailand rules to say you have to show proof of accommodation when stopped on the road. 

The passport information would show up on their system at which hotel you are staying.

Many also stay in condos of friends etc. There is also nothing in the rules to say you have to stay in a hotel.

Do you mind putting a link here as I could not find it on the stickman site. I am sure it's there and not doubting you as I simply could not find it.

Thank you

dav662,

Most countries I visit have the same policy.

This is happening at  Immigration and so far, not on the street. The arrival card asks for your accommodation information . Apparently people who left that section blank  were previously allowed to clear immigration in the past. With a new boss at immigration and a general crackdown on visa overstays it should not come as a surprise.  

By the way here  are links and quotes from the stickmanbangkok website.

https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/weekly-column/2019/01/more-thoughts-on-thais-in-kiwiland/

"From a long-time reader comes word that when passing through Immigration a couple of weeks ago everyone was being asked to show proof of accommodation which meant much rifling through documents and phone / tablet documents."

https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/weekly-column/2019/01/soi-cowboy-a-new-mobile-phone/

Another  email to the site:

"Being prepared at Immigration.

On Immigration officers asking for proof of your accommodation in Thailand, this is something that is done all over the world. When one flies into Thailand they are given an Immigration form on the aircraft to complete and on the form it clearly asks for the name and address of the visitor’s hotel or accommodation in Thailand. I can only assume that some people are not completing the form fully and correctly and are ignoring or missing out that part of the form. On a number of occasions I have queued up at Immigration waiting in line to be processed and there are some who have not completed their forms correctly or fully and they hold up the process much to the annoyance of others as they are either stuck at the desk filling in the missing parts of the form or are sent away to complete the form fully and have to rejoin the end of the queue. My advice is to take the time to complete the form on the aircraft, and if in doubt ask a fellow passenger to help you. Always keep your essential travel documents, passport, hotel reservation form etc on you in a safe place to produce to Immigration when asked. Be organised or expect to be turned away."

5 hours ago, rayjay said:

dav662,

Most countries I visit have the same policy.

This is happening at  Immigration and so far, not on the street. The arrival card asks for your accommodation information . Apparently people who left that section blank  were previously allowed to clear immigration in the past. With a new boss at immigration and a general crackdown on visa overstays it should not come as a surprise.  

By the way here  are links and quotes from the stickmanbangkok website.

https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/weekly-column/2019/01/more-thoughts-on-thais-in-kiwiland/

"From a long-time reader comes word that when passing through Immigration a couple of weeks ago everyone was being asked to show proof of accommodation which meant much rifling through documents and phone / tablet documents."

https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/weekly-column/2019/01/soi-cowboy-a-new-mobile-phone/

Another  email to the site:

"Being prepared at Immigration.

On Immigration officers asking for proof of your accommodation in Thailand, this is something that is done all over the world. When one flies into Thailand they are given an Immigration form on the aircraft to complete and on the form it clearly asks for the name and address of the visitor’s hotel or accommodation in Thailand. I can only assume that some people are not completing the form fully and correctly and are ignoring or missing out that part of the form. On a number of occasions I have queued up at Immigration waiting in line to be processed and there are some who have not completed their forms correctly or fully and they hold up the process much to the annoyance of others as they are either stuck at the desk filling in the missing parts of the form or are sent away to complete the form fully and have to rejoin the end of the queue. My advice is to take the time to complete the form on the aircraft, and if in doubt ask a fellow passenger to help you. Always keep your essential travel documents, passport, hotel reservation form etc on you in a safe place to produce to Immigration when asked. Be organised or expect to be turned away."

When at a hotel, I simply enter the hotel name, having the reservation form on my phone "in the event." 

Similarly, never had a problem when I stay at a Thai family's home(LT friends) in Pathum Thani. "Name + Pathum Thani entered." Street address & phone on my phone, for taxi driver as well. (and, for the driver, a sheet printed in Thai with driving directions...usually there is a literacy gap, so they will call my friends and get verbal directions). 

40 trips & no problems.

Ok I got confused with the original statement as it said while staying in Thailand. So I was under the impression immigration was stopping people on the road and asking for proof of accommodation.

If it's at the airport then I have no issues with it. Because the landing card itself has a column that's asks for the address.

Hi,

Sorry about the late reply and confusion.

Yes, I meant the Immigration at Passport Control at the Airport - not on the streets.

Yes I had filled out the Immigration form stating where I was staying but was still asked to see the confirmation from the Hotel.

The reason why I posted this originally was because of the comments posted to Stickmanbangkok.

Happy that rayjay cleared this up and gave you the link.

Maybe mine was a one off or maybe indication of things to come - who knows.

Thanks for your input and apologize for my late reply.

Yes last week they asked me too. But some of my friends on the same flight was not asked. 

Basically I showed the email from the hotel and I am sure he didn't even read it as the phone was in my hand and he only glanced at it.

It's all up to who you find at the immigration. You may pass in a few seconds or being questioned for 20 minutes. Some alpha might require you to show 20000 baht in cash as well. If you are on a 30 days visa exempt, you might be. Coming on a 60 days SE Tourist Visa or a 6 months ME Tourist Visa, you shouldn't need to produce any proof of accomodation as you have already showed upon Visa applying at your local Thai embassy or consulate. I repeat, all up to the immigration officer.