Sign in to follow this  
checkout

Hep-B

Allot of hype over HIV.Its real and me brother died from a case.Now Hepatitus B is quite common.The misery is no fun and for me it lasted for 8 months.It can chronic or everlasting.Never look to far when walking in the night.

Wow, really sorry to hear the sad loss of your brother mate and your stark warning of catching blood bourne diseases from social activities.

Do you mind me asking how you caught Hep B? If its something other than mongering, please dont feel obliged to answer on the forum. I understand it may be a private matter.

I personally am always careful about Hep B courses and booster checks. It was explained to me by my STI clinic that HIV is a very fragile virus, in that, within seconds of being out of its blood/fluid system, it will die, however, Hep B infected blood can remain active and transferrable, even a couple of hours later in dried blood secretions.

What are the symptoms you suffered as a result of Hep B mate and how did you know you had it??

Thanks again for your frank and honest post.

Cheers

LULT

OK

Time for me to post on this subject.

Ten months ago I was diagnosed with Chronic HBV, my initial viral load count was 12 Million but at my last test it was >170 Million off the scale. Where as acute HBV can be cured Chronic HBV is with you for life. I will start on anti viral treatment in 2 months time, my Doctor is worried I may get liver cancer if my viral load cannot be reduced, HBV along with chirrosis are the two main causes of liver cancer.

Physically I feel absolutely fine apart from my 4,200 THB / Month hospital fees but it is a worry knowing I could contract liver cancer at any time, the only restriction on my life at the moment is where I can work, many countries will not issue a work visa to HBV carriers

OK

Ten months ago I was diagnosed with Chronic HBV, my initial viral load count was 12 Million but at my last test it was >170 Million off the scale. Where as acute HBV can be cured Chronic HBV is with you for life. I will start on anti viral treatment in 2 months time, my Doctor is worried I may get liver cancer if my viral load cannot be reduced, HBV along with chirrosis are the two main causes of liver cancer.

Physically I feel absolutely fine apart from my 4,200 THB / Month hospital fees but it is a worry knowing I could contract liver cancer at any time, the only restriction on my life at the moment is where I can work, many countries will not issue a work visa to HBV carriers

Sad to hear about this...Have faith in yourself and i am sure you will do fine... how u contracted this ... can you explain more if u don't mind

Edited by creed

Sad to hear about this...Have faith in yourself and i am sure you will do fine... how u contracted this ... can you explain more if u don't mind

Well considering I have the Asian Strain of HBV more than likely from an encounter with an Asian.

OK

Very sad to hear that aswell. Does it effect your day to day life at all? I know you said you feel absolutely fine but its a lot of mental weight to deal with isnt it?

Very sad to hear that aswell. Does it effect your day to day life at all? I know you said you feel absolutely fine but its a lot of mental weight to deal with isnt it?

To be honest I don't think about it life is too short to think about what "may happen" I just get on and enjoy every minute

Sorry to hear about this KLW. At least you have a positive attitude to it all - what's done is done and no use crying over spilt milk - life is for living! Good for you and all the best wishes.

I have just moderated my alcohol intake, I.e. Less than one bottle of Vodka / day and keep beer under 12 per day

That was bloody funny :lol:

Good luck with the HBV mate, sounds like you are getting better.

Hugh

I will never get better but can try to stay on same level, there are 2 levels of HBV Acute which is curable and Chronic which is with you for life, I am chronic, probably went bareback one too many times, cest la vive.

The irony is since I was diagnosed and modified my lifestyle I am feeling a whole lot better than I ever did before and having frequent medical check ups. A bit of a scare last week my CEA Carcinembryonic Antigen count was high, a tell tale sign of cancer, I just paid the £500 had a camera shoved down my throat and up my arse, I was clear but I do have a copy of the camera going up my ass on my iPad great ice breaker haha.

I am probably healthier than most other people my age, I know what I have and live life accordingly, I know that I am high risk of cancer and my Doctor tells me stop drinking and smoking and I tell him no, I moderate, people who don't Drink, Smoke and screw around don't live longer it just feels as if they do.

I know that my liver is in good health because I have an annual ultrasound, I know I am cancer free because I have had a freaking endoscope up my butt and down my throat, For Fucks sake I am over 50 years old and still playing football (soccer to my USA Cousins) perfect cholesterol levels, perfect Blood Pressure, perfect BMI etc something I get checked every 6 months, and I completed my last marathon in 3:18 still life in the old dog yet.

Brings me back to threads about "Retire in Thailand" hell yes top notch health care but it costs money, my insurance does not cover my check ups since it is a pre existing condition, I don't care, I only have one life and I want to go out disgracefully I am working on it.

That's really tough. Fortunately, my doctor advised me to get the Hep B series of 3 shots for (supposedly) lifetime protection (though I guess you need to get tested after 10 years or so to make sure there are enough Hep B antibodies still present in your blood). The main way people get it is sexual contact. Hep C is fortunately much more difficult to catch.

HBV antibodies last a lifetime, trust me I am somewhat of an expert on this topic!

HBV antibodies last a lifetime, trust me I am somewhat of an expert on this topic!

Wikipedia says "at least 25 years".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepatitis_B_vaccine#Duration_of_protection

But note that vaccination isn't always effective. So it's always good to get tested after you get vaccinated to make sure that the antibodies have developed in your system.

"The vaccine is more effective in children and 95 per cent of those vaccinated have protective levels of antibody. This drops to around 90% at 40 years of age and to around 75 percent in those over 60 years."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepatitis_b#Prevention

Deep,

My partner had HBV injections 2 years ago and when I have my annual check up she also has anti body check a simple $50 blood test, well worth it for peace of mind.

Deep,

My partner had HBV injections 2 years ago and when I have my annual check up she also has anti body check a simple $50 blood test, well worth it for peace of mind.

Right. To be sure that the vaccinations did any good you need to get the blood test for Hep B antibodies.

The interesting thing about vaccination in general (which my Brit doc in Phenom Penh told me) is that if you suffer a massive attack of something you've been successfully vaccinated against, the vaccinations won't save you from getting the disease. The vaccinations only work if you are exposed to the disease in the usual way (eg with Hep B by sex), that is: in low numbers. If you were exposed to say, an injection of Hep B virus (ie much larger concentration), you'd get the disease whether you'd been successfully vaccinated or not.

Not to be alarmed of course. This scenario isn't likely, but it's interesting because it reveals the nature and limitations of vaccination.

Annual Update

I still have acute HBV it will never be cured but so what, to be honest I feel no different now as I did before it was diagnosed, being tired is down to the fact I am an old fart now and working 84 hours a week is a young mans game, sad cunt ain't I?

If I was to follow medical advice I would have died by boredom by now, "STOP DRINKING" fuck off, if I want to cane 3 bottles of Vodka over a weekend it is up to me, the two cases of beer are just incidental, Northern Vietnam close to the Chinese Border is not a hotbed of excitement but the $ is Good, haha

Biggest problem with HBV is foreign nations perception of it and not issuing Work Permits / Residency Cards hence the reason I end up working in Vietnam at least the commies still love me haha.

On 6/14/2015 at 10:31 AM, KLW said:

Annual Update

I still have acute HBV it will never be cured but so what, to be honest I feel no different now as I did before it was diagnosed, being tired is down to the fact I am an old fart now and working 84 hours a week is a young mans game, sad cunt ain't I?

If I was to follow medical advice I would have died by boredom by now, "STOP DRINKING" fuck off, if I want to cane 3 bottles of Vodka over a weekend it is up to me, the two cases of beer are just incidental, Northern Vietnam close to the Chinese Border is not a hotbed of excitement but the $ is Good, haha

Biggest problem with HBV is foreign nations perception of it and not issuing Work Permits / Residency Cards hence the reason I end up working in Vietnam at least the commies still love me haha.

KLW, I know you dont post here anymore but in case sometimes you still lurking I'd like to know how you are now (HBV) and what happened with your wife and son. You were a damned great poster/member.

55 minutes ago, ARI23 said:

KLW, I know you dont post here anymore but in case sometimes you still lurking I'd like to know how you are now (HBV) and what happened with your wife and son. You were a damned great poster/member.

Not checked in since November 2016 mate...... before you and I were members!.... In his case I hope it's not for health reason.