31 minutes ago, Ropey said:

Jesus, get a room you two. :Vom:

Wassup Ropey....you feeling left out :P After the shite of last nights sofie debate its good to have a bit of normal forum banter again!

2 minutes ago, BeachGuySC said:

Just rung that up for them, 350 baht for the room please. You guys need to figure out who barfines who. Or is it whom.? 

Nice to see you got your humour hat on tonight BGSC

Always! You know us over here in the Evil Empire. Never a dull day PLUS the stock market is through the roof today.  Nice - especially 13 days from my next tour of duty in BKK. Drinks on me !

BTW. enjoy all the positive banter and extremely helpful info from you guys. 

16 hours ago, taaseesanuk said:

If you want an amazing rooftop skyline view go to Manhattan!

Thanks for the suggestion, TSS!

Are you sure it's a good idea to have a cold drink now at the outside seating of a rooftop bar in Gotham City instead of a craft beer at an open air rooftop bar in Bangkok?

Temperature Manhattan: -14 C / 7 F

Temperature Bangkok: 31 C / 87 F

:o

Sooo, what's your next suggestion for a place with a really "cool" rooftop bar and some outside seating: Chicago? (currently -26 C / -15 F)...

;-)

Edited by Thanks
Highliting a bit more the friendly bantering intention of the post

What I like about rooftop bars in Bangkok, but also in other tropical places such as in Rio de Janeiro, is that they provide a welcome refuge from the hectic and loud urban streetlife. 

Roadside streetbars such as the alcobars around Nana at night are a great place for people watching and having fun, but they are often located by busy, noisy roads.

Other tourist focused bars on Sukhumvit such as the overpriced "Beer Republic" near Chit Lom, have a great porch but the traffic noise coming from Sukhumvit road is just too much after a while IMO...

Rooftop bars such as Brewski (on the top of the Radisson Blu hotel, quite near the Continent hotel) or "sky on 20" on top of the Novotel on Sukhumvit Soi 20 offer a more relaxed atmosphere than their roadside counterparts, I find...

It's just nice if one can sit on top of a highrise building until 2 o'clock in the morning because the temperature is still around 30 C / 86 F. 

And you don't breathe the exhaust gases from the old diesel buses.

However, they are more expensive than "normal" bars. But you don't have to go to a rooftop bar every evening, do you? I like to visit one or two during a one week stay and then it's enough for a while...

I guess I'm getting old (I'm old)... :-)

Some images I've taken on rooftop bars in Bangkok in the past:

rooftop bar 2.gif

2 minutes ago, Thanks said:

What I like about rooftop bars in Bangkok, but also for example in other tropical places such as in Rio de Janeiro's Copacabana district, is that they provide a welcome refuge from the hectic and loud urban streetlife. 

Roadside streetbars such as the alcobars around Nana at night are a great place for people watching and having fun, but they are often located by busy, noisy roads.

Other tourist focused places such as the  overpriced Beer Republic near Chit Long, have a great porch but the traffic noise coming from Sukhumvit road is just too much after a while IMO...

Rooftop bars such as Brewski (on the top of the Radisson Blu hotel, quite near the Continent hotel) or "sky on 20" on top of the Novotel on Sukhumvit Soi 20 offer a more relaxed atmosphere than their roadside counterparts, I find...

It's just nice if one can sit on top of a highrise building until 2 o'clock in the morning because the temperature is still around 30 C / 86 F. 

And you don't breathe the exhaust gases from the old diesel buses.

However, they are more expensive than "normal" bars. But you don't have to go to a rooftop bar every evening, do you? I like to visit one or two during a one week stay and then it's enough for a while...

Traffic fumes are a real hazard street level that is for sure....

2 hours ago, Thanks said:

Thanks for the - interesting - suggestion, TSS!

Sure is a great idea to have now a Gotham tiramisu at the outside seating at the Salon de Ning in NYC (instead of for example a craft beer at an open air rooftop bar in Bangkok):

Temperature Manhattan: -14 C / 7 F

Temperature Bangkok: 31 C / 87 F

Sooo, what's your next suggestion for a place with a really cool rooftop bar and some outside seating: Chicago?

:)

not after cool just unpretentious ....and yeah I know, there are plenty of pretentious roof top bars in NY....temperature is not a real issue for me but obviously would be for a LB

To each their own Thanks.

Not to rain on the idea of rooftop bars in BKK, but here's a health warning from the Bangkok Post today!

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/environment/1620462/no-relief-from-intensifying-bangkok-smog-before-monday

Hopefully it will improve for next month, but its not worth going up of you cant see anything.

SAG

51 minutes ago, SAGuy said:

Not to rain on the idea of rooftop bars in BKK, but here's a health warning from the Bangkok Post today!

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/environment/1620462/no-relief-from-intensifying-bangkok-smog-before-monday

Hopefully it will improve for next month, but its not worth going up if you cant see anything.

SAG

OMG! 

I was considering a short trip to LOS either in 2 weeks time (avoiding the general elections on 24 March) or actually in mid-March...

So better postpone & wait until the rainy season sets in again? Or book a flight soon but don't bother with a hotel with a pool let alone a rooftop bar?

Thanks SAGuy, Ropey, BGSC & taaseesanuk!

:-)

12 minutes ago, Thanks said:

OMG! 

I was considering a trip to BKK either in 2 weeks time (avoiding the general elections on 24 March) or actually in mid-March...

So better wait until the rainy season sets in again? Or booking a flight but don't bother with a hotel with a pool let alone a rooftop bar?

Thanks SAGuy, Ropey, BGSC & taaseesanuk!

:-)

Hi Thanks

I think the election date may have slipped again, but don't know for sure.

If this continues, then I'd probably plan on more indoor pursuits...

Cheers

SAG

28 minutes ago, Thanks said:

OMG! 

I was considering a trip to BKK either in 2 weeks time (avoiding the general elections on 24 March) or actually in mid-March...

So better wait until the rainy season sets in again? Or booking a flight but don't bother with a hotel with a pool let alone a rooftop bar?

Bangkok has smog , high heat, 1 zillion percent humidity, monsoon rains - and all of that can happen in the same day. The point is, there is no ideal time weather-wise to visit BKK. Pay no heed to weather projections predicting what will happen 6 weeks from now, because even the best forecasters have no friggin idea on whether it will rain on March 3 or whatever. It's a waste of time reading them, much less planning a trip based on them.  

Plan your trip for whenever it is you really want to go. As for the weather, you can't control it so why obsess over it?  Just go when you want and hope for the best. 

16 minutes ago, oliver17 said:

Bangkok has smog , high heat, 1 zillion percent humidity, monsoon rains - and all of that can happen in the same day. The point is, there is no ideal time weather-wise to visit BKK. Pay no heed to weather projections predicting what will happen 6 weeks from now, because even the best forecasters have no friggin idea on whether it will rain on March 3 or whatever. It's a waste of time reading them, much less planning a trip based on them.  

Plan your trip for whenever it is you really want to go. As for the weather, you can't control it so why obsess over it?  Just go when you want and hope for the best. 

Wise words, ain't always kind words ...

But you're right: I'll go when circumstances "here" are right and not when the weatherman tells me so...

Thanks oliver17  :-)

26 minutes ago, Thanks said:

Wise words, ain't always kind words ...

But you're right: I'll go when circumstances "here" are right and not when the weatherman tells me so...

Thanks oliver17  :-)

Agreed, but as of the here and now you don't want to be walking around BKK....seriously bad air quality.

18 minutes ago, taaseesanuk said:

Agreed, but as of the here and now you don't want to be walking around BKK....seriously bad air quality.

It could be worse - what the North American Mid West is going through at the moment looks like zero fun!

SAG

12 minutes ago, SAGuy said:

It could be worse - what the North American Mid West is going through at the moment looks like zero fun!

SAG

Got friends in BKK that had to keep the kids at home today as the schools closed because of it. I actually thought things had improved with the quality of modern vehicles.

2 hours ago, SAGuy said:

SAG

Of course you really meant to say “below zero” fun........

13 minutes ago, BeachGuySC said:

Of course you really meant to say “below zero” fun........

Hahaha@BGSC

Touche!

SAG

20190212_175336.gif

On 1/31/2019 at 11:50 PM, oliver17 said:

Thanks again, oliver17 !

You were absolutely right: I took chances and it worked out well! Blue skies, not more smog than usual, temperatures in the okay range, no rain, some busy bars but not extreme though... 

Only drawback when traveling to Bangkok around Chinese New Year: higher than usual hotel prices... :-( 

On 1/31/2019 at 1:14 AM, Thanks said:

I haven't yet been to 8 rooftop bars in Bangkok, like onebraveaussie, but I'm getting there...

The Axis & Spin rooftop bar on top of the Continent hotel is one that I've visited for example. It's close to Asok junction and therefore near Soi Cowboy. I found it a bit difficult to find as the entrance to the Continent is a bit hidden. 

Once inside the hotel you just forget about the reception / front desk and head for the elevators. No one will stop you, just the opposite. I didn't see any cowboys but instead many hotel guests in the generation X age bracket. The two top floors that make up the Axis & Spin area are therefore full of people in their 30s and 40s. 

The skybar restaurant is mainly an indoor location, unlike some other rooftop bars I'm familiar with. Only a small part of the skybar has access to the outside. No tables there outside. Just enough space for a few people. But you have a great view of the lower Sukhumvit area! 

The night I was there they were pretty busy.

Just to have a good view from the skybar you don't need a reservation. But if you want to dine with your LB it's better to RSVP. Dress code for dining: smart casual recommended. To just have a look from the skybar observation deck: go as you please.

http://www.thecontinentdining.com/axis-and-spin.php

View from the skybar outside area:

20190130_140626.gif

I’m booked in for the continent in November I think I’ll be spending some time in the sky bar with that view! 

I was in Above 11 Friday night for a few drinks and some bites to eat, very nice place/ambiance - no headache inducing overly bass-y music, nice lighting, great views of the city - great drinks/cocktails selection. Take the right LB date with you and you could have a memorable evening here definitely. Prices were reasonable too. 

Edited by Girthworm Jim

Great topic. What’s the current hi-so type roof top bar at the moment. If one wanted to impress, where’s the goto place of the moment? 

4 hours ago, Bimale75 said:

Great topic. What’s the current hi-so type roof top bar at the moment. If one wanted to impress, where’s the goto place of the moment? 

I would suggest Tichuca. Never been there myself, but hear a lot of good stories!

Screenshot_20230524_160430_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230524_160511_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230524_160529_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230524_160552_Samsung Internet.jpg

On 10/4/2017 at 7:50 PM, onebraveaussie said:

ok

my view of best rooftop bars

have been to 8 in bkk and 1 imposter in phuket

zero in pattaya

ok drumroll

bkk

nearly all stay lower suk