Sign in to follow this  
Mattski3232

Using a UK iPhone6 in Thailand

Hi all,

Bit of a newbie (and tech dumb) question.

I have an iPhone6 from the UK on the 3 Network which I have unlocked for roaming.

My situation is that I am coming to Thailand in May on the sly and still wish to be in contact with the wife - she is Thai so calling direct is not gonna work as she'll wonder why the area code 0066 (for Thailand) is coming up when I should be in India (that's my cover story).

So I figure I can use the Line and Messenger (facebook) apps to send messages and do internet face-time phone calls, so she won't know where I am.

Naturally, using roaming on a UK phone on a UK data plan is massively expensive.

Is it best to get a Thai SIM that I can put in my UK phone?? any thing else I should get??

My worries/queries are:

- If I change the sim will I not lose all the stuff (contacts/line/facebook messengers) that I have set up on my phone already or will they stay

- I'm staying in Bangkok (soi 7 for the first 5 days) so where is the nearest place to buy a SIM etc - Terminal 21, PanThip, MBK - or the Airport before I get a taxi to the hotel??

At suggestions are greatly appreciated - essentially I want to use my UK Phone but have access to the internet (without the roaming internet charges on the UK data plan) to make calls back to the UK via internet Apps.

Hope that's makes sense.

Thanks for any suggestions - I've added this to both the Bangkok and Pattaya sites - but its in Bangkok where I start off my adventure.

Regards

Mattski

Airport for the sim then you you can get an app for a different phone number. But I don't know if Thailand has that app.

Newcomer Flyp aims to give you not just one extra number, but multiple numbers. It's a potentially excellent option for freelancers or folks who manage multiple businesses. The first line is free, and it includes unlimited calls and text messages, plus custom voicemail along with your choice of area code for that number.

Need more lines? Flyp charges $2.99 per month (or $29.99 annually) for each additional number. You can operate up to four lines total.

Sounds great, right? One red flag: In recent weeks, the app has received a rash of negative reviews in both the Android and iOS app stores. According to a Flyp rep, that's because of a sudden and unexpected outage that "impacted a handful of our early users." The rep added that most of the dysfunctional numbers have now been ported to a new, more reliable provider.

This is a good time to mention that if you're planning to rely on a second line for business purposes or anything else mission-critical, it might make sense to look at a commercial solution like Grasshopper or Line2.

I dont know whether the uk iphone is same as other iphone, but my son keep changing sim cards when traveling between thailand and the hometown.

If you want to keep using the line and WhatsApp account of your original number, registered them to a line account and log in on your phone. For whatsapp, as long as your phone keep the old number in the contact of your profile you won't lose it even you change the sim.

Nowadays many data are stored on the phone not on the sim, so the apps won't be affected by changing the sim.

You can use phone anywhere if it's not locked. Make sure that you get a data package in Thailand and please DON'T register the new number for WhatsApp or Line.

Use the original number of WhatsApp and Line.

Another option is to buy a portable WiFi, buy a data Sim at the airport when you land and have the shop put it into the portable WiFi. Then you keep the phone with your UK Sim, but connect to the portable WiFi which is running from the Thai data Sim. These devices are small enough to fit in a pocket easily and will need charging after about 12-18 hours depending on the model you buy.

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk