Sign in to follow this  
Rodrigo

Carry on items

Any passengers passing the middle East airports or Istanbul Airport to USA cannot carry any electronic device larger than a cell phone.

So far no other airports have been included in this but may or may not.

So laptop and tablets etc must be checked in.

Any passengers passing the middle East airports or Istanbul Airport to USA cannot carry any electronic device larger than a cell phone.

So far no other airports have been included in this but may or may not.

So laptop and tablets etc must be checked in.

It's complete BS. The ban doesn't even apply to US carriers flying to the middle east , only foreign airlines.

It sounds like it the the dirty work of American, United and Delta airlines. They have all been loudly whining to the US government about the

Arab gulf airlines expanding into US markets. They claim the Arab airlines get unfairly subsidized by their governments. Never mind all the

tax abatements, airport infrastructure improvements, the cash bailouts given to US airlines after 9/11 - all of it paid for by US taxpayers.

I hope this isn't a precursor to restricting Emirates, Qatar, etc from expanding further in the US per US airline demands. The Obama administration told the the US

carriers to fuck off. I really hope Trump does the same, even if he can't get anything else right.

I'll be going 2 weeks for songkran but thankfully phone is not included. I don't bother with big electronic items just means more things to worry about.

Apart from the shitty emirates food of course lol.

It's complete BS. The ban doesn't even apply to US carriers flying to the middle east , only foreign airlines.

It sounds like it the the dirty work of American, United and Delta airlines. They have all been loudly whining to the US government about the

Arab gulf airlines expanding into US markets. They claim the Arab airlines get unfairly subsidized by their governments. Never mind all the

tax abatements, airport infrastructure improvements, the cash bailouts given to US airlines after 9/11 - all of it paid for by US taxpayers.

I hope this isn't a precursor to restricting Emirates, Qatar, etc from expanding further in the US per US airline demands. The Obama administration told the the US

carriers to fuck off. I really hope Trump does the same, even if he can't get anything else right.

It does apply to all airlines operating out of those airports.

The UK has included some other airports in the middle East but none of the UAE airports and Qatar are included, but Saudi Arabia and Turkey is included.

Already everyone is up in arms about this.

British carriers are also affected if they fly from eg. Saudi Arabia and then onto USA.

I personally think you are correct about trying to limit the UAE airlines.

What will happen is that all other countries will do this too and eventually there​will be a complete ban on laptops on any flight.

This is the height of idiocy.

It does apply to all airlines operating out of those airports.

The UK has included some other airports in the middle East but none of the UAE airports and Qatar are included, but Saudi Arabia and Turkey is included.

Already everyone is up in arms about this.

British carriers are also affected if they fly from eg. Saudi Arabia and then onto USA.

I personally think you are correct about trying to limit the UAE airlines.

What will happen is that all other countries will do this too and eventually there​will be a complete ban on laptops on any flight.

This is the height of idiocy.

I did some more research into this. It affects flights directly between the US and listed middle eastern airports. No US airlines fly directly between

US and and of the airports, therefore only foreign airlines take the hit. I know that Delta once flew between JFK and Abu Dhabi, but not anymore apparently.

I don't know what the new regulations are on connecting flights involving US or European airlines.

I am guessing that the UAE airlines probably have levels of security far above and beyond what other airlines have, because they would have much to lose in the event of a terrorist attack than a western airline would. An attack on any UAE airline would be economically catastrophic for all of them.

Thankfully this does not affect me as I always fly from the UK via either Doha or Dubai to Bangkok and back :)

Edited by duke007

No it doesn't affect the US airlines as it doesn't fly to the gulf.

But what is going to happen is they will start banning all laptops on all airlines.

Right now the USA is hoping that passengers would switch from the gulf airlines to European airlines.

But what they have not taken into account is that this could affect the whole Aviation industry. Boeing is going to take a bit hit if this continues.

UK has been very clever in not including UAE and Qatar.

I bought one of these Bose speakers last month in Pattaya and it has been brilliant to carry around and listen to Talksport while my phone was on charge.

I was worried that I would not be able to bring it back to the UK when I flew home last Thursday so I carried it in my hand luggage and showed it the girl at the check in counter, she asked me to turn it on and it says something like "bluetooth connected", she then says to me "ok, no problem" and I am off through the baggage check and onto the plane with it

As the UK ban does not include Qatar and the UAE and as I do fly with either Qatar or Emirates airlines I shall be taking it back to Pattaya with me smile.png

Bose.jpg

Bose1.jpg

Qatar Airways is taking on the US government's ban on large electronics with a rather ingenious solution: loaner laptops.

On Thursday, the Doha, Qatar-based airline announced that business-class passengers aboard its flights to the US would have access to loaner laptops beginning next week.

"By providing this laptop loan service we can ensure that our passengers on flights to the US can continue to work whilst on-board," Qatar Airways Group's CEO, Akbar Al Baker, said in a statement.

"This unique ability to offer 'business as usual,' above and beyond the competition, is yet another example of Qatar Airways justification for being the 'World's Best Business Class.'"

In addition, business-class passengers will have access to complimentary Wi-Fi.

Qatar Airways has not announced which type of laptops will be available.

The loaner program will not be available to economy-class passengers. At the same time, Qatar Airways has moved toward a two-cabin class configuration, which means the airline's flights to the US operate without a first-class cabin.

The laptop program is the latest reaction by one of the nine airlines affected by the US laptop ban. The policy, which took effect Saturday, prohibits passengers flying to the US from some airports in the Middle East and North Africa from carrying-on electronics bigger than a smartphone. The US government has said it introduced the policy in response to fears that terrorists could hide explosives within electronics, though it has not mentioned any imminent plots.

While all of the affected carriers have made it clear they plan to comply with the ban, they have also come up with a series of ways to work around the US government's new policy.

On Wednesday, the Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates-based Etihad Airways announced that it would offer first- and business-class passengers free Wi-Fi and loaner iPads on US-bound flights beginning Saturday.

Earlier this week, Turkish Airlines announced on Twitter that passengers who turned in their laptops and tablets at boarding would receive free Wi-Fi on board. Last week, Emirates implemented a laptop handling program allowing passengers getting on US-bound flights to have access to their laptop until boarding. The Dubai, UAE-based carrier has also hinted that it may offer loaner laptops.

According to Emirates' president, Tim Clark, the US government's laptop ban has created logistical challenges for the airline and the airports that handle its flights. Thus far, the short-term effects have not been as dire as anticipated, while its long-term effects won't be clear for some time, Clark told Business Insider. Not having access to laptops, however, is still an inconvenience to the carrier's passengers.

qatar laptop.jpg