Not even sure if this is name anymore as I think it was taken over a while ago. Been a while since I've been in here. First time I was alone and had the Swedish meatballs served with mashed potato (suberb mash) and a creamy sauce. Quite edible but nothing wow. Second time my partner in crime for Sunday lunch feigned off with a hangover, so me & mrs M set out to fins something. Ended up here just because we were too knackered in the glaring mid day sun to go any further. I should say I am not the biggest fan of carvery's. Infact I try to avoid them as I tend to find the food is stale/cold/manky looking (or any or all of the 3).

I should have listened to my brain, but ordered the roast beef only to be given a ticket and told the carvery is inside (we were sat outside).

So I take said ticket and got my roast beef plus copious vegetables, stuffing, Yorkshire pudding, gravy, Roast potato etc etc. Got back to the table and it was lukewarm at best, cold at worst in part. Probably didn't help having a huge aircon unit positioned just behind the serving area and a severe lack of decent heated food warmers. Anyhow I was starving so ate some of it.

The supposedly imported beef was well done and local. The rest of it was all good - just cold. If it had been hot and/or served and plated from the kitchen, it would probably be a rave review. Not sure I'd hurry back. About 350b from memory.

The food here used to be superb but I know it has changed hands. Does anyone know if this is one of the venues bought by Eclipse Group who seem to have bought up pretty much every pub in lower Sukhumvit? Maybe one for Youngone.

4457.jpg

Edited by mardhi

I didn't know it had changed hands. It's a shame as it did great pub food. Only thing about the pub was after a few drinks you could forget you are actually in Thailand.

Me and a guy from the LB69 forum spent a whole afternoon in there watching the Grand Prix before heading off to watch England get stuffed by the Germans in the World Cup.

The food here used to be superb but I know it has changed hands. Does anyone know if this is one of the venues bought by Eclipse Group who seem to have bought up pretty much every pub in lower Sukhumvit? Maybe one for Youngone.

Yes, the Kiwi Pub is owned by the Eclipse Group. It used to be simply called 'Soi 8 Pub' but got rebranded by Eclipse after they purchased it. The Australian on soi 11, where we recently had a pretty good burger, is also owned by Eclipse by the way.

I had a pretty good burger in there a few weeks back.

Seems to be a young Scouse lad running the show @Kiwi these days,

In hindsight I should have ordered something cooked to order from the menu. Previous meal was fine, just seems the carvery is best eaten as soon as they start. or otherwise ask them to microwave it lol. Aside from the wrongly described beef, the rest was very good, just cold.

On 7/28/2016 at 10:28 PM, Youngone said:

Kiwi Pub is owned by the Eclipse Group.

On 7/28/2016 at 1:29 PM, mardhi said:

Eclipse Group who seem to have bought up pretty much every pub in lower Sukhumvit? Maybe one for Youngone.

Eclipse Group is now called the Panthera Group. They are headquartered in Phrom Phong.

In addition to the Kiwi on Soi 8 they own for example:

- Nana Plaza (the entire NEP complex, as landlord): "In 2012 Nana Partners Co Ltd a Thai JVC company co-owned by The Panthera Group and Fico Corporation purchased Nana Plaza The largest nightlife Entertainment complex in the world from The Nana family, one of Thailand wealthiest families." The new roof alone has cost them 500.000 (USD, not THB)... FICO BTW is an Indian-Thai company.

- EQ Late Night Club Soi 4 (former Nana disco)

- Insanity nightclub Sukhumvit Soi 11

- Levels Club Sukhumvit Soi 11

- Sugar Club Sukhumvit Soi 11 Bangkok

- Sugar Club Phuket

- Seduction nightclub Phuket

- Rossano's Italian Cuisine restaurant Soi 21 Bangkok

- Novotel Silom hotel

- The Australian sports pub Suk Soi 11

- Scruffy Murphy's Irish pub Soi 23 near SC

- Whisgar whisky bar Sukhumvit Soi 23

- Craft Beer bars Soi 23 & Silom

- Slanted Taco Soi 23

- BIRDS rotisserie restaurant chain

- Boozia alcohol distributor

- Sunbelt Asia Thailand's largest business services network.

- Spice restaurant and bar

- V8 Diner Sukhumvit Soi 11

and much more... :o

Below:  PR video of Panthera

Edited by Thanks

36 minutes ago, Thanks said:

Eclipse Group is now called the Panthera Group. They are headquartered near Phrom Phong BTS.

In addition to the Kiwi on Soi 8 they own for example:

- Nana Plaza (the entire NEP complex, as landlord): "In 2012 Nana Partners Co Ltd a Thai JVC company co-owned by The Panthera Group and Fico Corporation purchased Nana Plaza The largest nightlife Entertainment complex in the world from The Nana family, one of Thailand wealthiest families." The new roof alone has cost them 500.000 USD (not THB)...

- EQ Late Night Club Soi 4 (former Nana disco)

- Insanity nightclub Sukhumvit Soi 11

- Levels Club Sukhumvit Soi 11

- Sugar Club Sukhumvit Soi 11 Bangkok

- Sugar Club Phuket

- Seduction nightclub Phuket

- Rossano's Italian Cuisine restaurant Soi 21 Bangkok

- Novotel Silom hotel

- Scruffy Murphy's Irish pub Soi 23 near SC

- Whisgar whisky bar Sukhumvit Soi 23

- Craft Beer bars Soi 23 & Silom

- Slanted Taco Soi 23

- BIRDS rotisserie restaurant chain

- Boozia alcohol distributor

and much more... :o

Hey Thanks

Does the owner have a LB 'daughter' by any chance?

Just asking for a friend...

SAG

4 hours ago, SAGuy said:

Hey Thanks

Does the owner have a LB 'daughter' by any chance?

Just asking for a friend...

SAG

Yes, but she was disinherited when she started partying at the Hillary and King's group bars.. Still interested?

(Just kidding of course...)

Edited by Thanks