Sign in to follow this  
HilbertSpace

QA and Qmiles

If you are traveling from the US, you should buy and upgrade. It's a no-brainer since any flight from the US to BKK is going to mean about 20 hours in the air. Do you really want to be crammed into economy all that time even if you are flying for only $25.00?

I flew Qatar business class to BKK on last trip in May. Very impressive inflight service and also loved the business lounge in Doha. Too bad they don't offer A380 planes from the US like Emirates does, but Qatar does offer A380s on Doha-Bkk route. BTW, the bars on the Emirates A380s are way more fun than the bars on Qatar's aircraft.

Another thing you can try is to use your miles on another OneWorld carrier, like JAL or Cathay Pacific. You might be able to score an award deal on premium economy, and get to BKK with little or no damage to your wallet and minimize the miles spent as well. Premium economy is not business class, but it beats regular economy.

Thanx Oliver for such interesting suggestions. I think i will go for the 1st one. Business class with Qatar Airways and enjoy at the same time the business lounge in Doha. It's more tempting...

You won't regret it, makes the flight there so much more enjoyable.

Another thing you can try is to use your miles on another OneWorld carrier, like JAL or Cathay Pacific. You might be able to score an award deal on premium economy, and get to BKK with little or no damage to your wallet and minimize the miles spent as well. Premium economy is not business class, but it beats regular economy.

I had a bunch of AAdvantage miles. Got all of them with my the 30K-50K bonus when getting an AA Citicard, charging the required amount, then cancelling card. Within a month or two, get an email to open another credit card account. Did it 4 times. UA/Chase had it but finally realized there are a lot of us doing it, so now a 24-month gap required. Anyway, tried to book a November US-BKK RT on the AA website, but not possible. Called the AA reservations number and hooked up with a fantastic agent (in US!!). She put me on AA from my mid western US home to ORD, then Cathay through Hong Kong. RT for 75,000 miles. Got on Cathay site and upgraded to economy-plus giving me legroom on all 4 segments for $260 I then received a 7500 mile rebate from AA-Citicard, so complete trip 67,500 miles and $260!!! Still have enough miles for another one and in the process of cancelling the current card.