Nick Bullseye

Medical insurance for a LB

I want to pay a full medical insurance for a SO LB (please, no comments).

Are there other BMs who do or did this? Which company would you suggest (send me the link, please), how much does it cost, and what exactly is covered? I want to find a coverage including injury (motorbike or other) and full dental.

If you do not feel responding here in this thread, please send me a PM.

Thanks in advance.

First question is: what is SO? (something obvious I'm sure and I am on my first cup of coffee.)

Bupa seems to be a favorite among expats. However if the LB is Thai, that will change the game. Example: The Bupa rep told me that expat health insurance must cover repatriation expenses. This would not apply if the LB is Thai. So be sure if you are online shopping that you are not looking at expat insurance.

I have never met a LB yet who was able to get private healthcare Insurance, dental included or not. It seems to be similar to life Insurance in so far as none of them pass the acceptance stage and obtain coverage.

I have never met a LB yet who was able to get private healthcare Insurance, dental included or not. It seems to be similar to life Insurance in so far as none of them pass the acceptance stage and obtain coverage.

Why can't they get coverage? Even if they list themselves as male?

Why can't they get coverage? Even if they list themselves as male?

Insurance companies have to be very careful now. It's illegal to discriminate, hence they go through the process of applying and then fail for some undisclosed reason. Having said that, in the UK 10 years ago it was nigh on impossible for a gay guy to get life insurance/mortgage for a house purchase, so its not exactly unique to Thailand.

Mardhi, do you have a personal experience with this?

Insurance companies have to be very careful now. It's illegal to discriminate, hence they go through the process of applying and then fail for some undisclosed reason. Having said that, in the UK 10 years ago it was nigh on impossible for a gay guy to get life insurance/mortgage for a house purchase, so its not exactly unique to Thailand.

Mardhi i imagine a person doesn't have to be physically present to apply for health insurance in Thailand ? If thats the case & can apply online or via fax/mail etc , then how do they decipher from a guys name that he is a ladyboy ? Edited by Boomerang

Mardhi, do you have a personal experience with this?

Yes, two people, one applying for life Insurance and medical Insurance and one for a mortgage with life Insurance. Those 2 then discovered when they started asking around, that they knew of others where the same thing had occurred. The common issue is Insurers do not like the risk profile of ladyboys.

Mardhi i imagine a person doesn't have to be physically present to apply for health insurance in Thailand ? If thats the case & can apply online or via fax/mail etc , then how do they decipher from a guys name that he is a ladyboy ?

In the 2 examples I am most aware of, both were using agents/brokers for the Insurance company. Maybe you can apply online, but it will probably just mean they send someone to go and see you. The first example the agent was adamant ladyboys can be insured, then the answer came though that she had been declined for coverage. 2nd was similar. I don't think they ever discuss it publicly, but the evidence I have seen it is very difficult, or nigh on impossible to obtain. I am sure there are a handful of ladyboys who do have coverage though. That way the Insurance company can get around the discrimination rule by claiming they do have ladyboys Insured.

Probably the easiest way to get some form of coverage is via a bank debit card. I know mine has some low level cover that you pay something like 200b a year for and is built into the price of the debit card. No idea what the cover is in any detail though.

I used a private insurance only once in my life (that was actually a private branch company of my coyntry's national health service), but aren't there mutual companies or jus a Thaï social security/national health service that could cover every Thai citizen ?

Bangkok Bank offers accident and health insurance. I looked into them but do not qualify by age or residence status. I don't remember it being much of a value, but could be better than nothing.