Felix69

BTS Skytrain open to Suvarnabhumi?

My new LBGF tells me the BTS Skytrain is now open from Suvarnabhumi to Sukhumvit. Can anyone confirm, if so, explain how to get to it from the terminal? I will be coming to BKK on 19 August, this would be a great option to the taxi hassle.

Felix

OK that was dumb, I made a new thread before I noticed the other thread on the BTS. Sorry. But the last post on the other thread was in January... Anyone have any new info??

OK that was dumb, I made a new thread before I noticed the other thread on the BTS. Sorry. But the last post on the other thread was in January... Anyone have any new info??

I actually think the train is quite expensive if I recall about 250bht and a lot more hassle. Then a cab from station to hotel, worls out not much less than a cab all the way, or haul your luggage through the streets. If you negotiate well, on insist on meter, a cab will be about 400bht to Nana area. IMHO well worth the extra couple of dollars.

I guess what the lbgf was referring to is the express train from Suvarnabhumi to Phaya Thai station, which is close to her room, but according to the BKK transit authority website, that line doesn't open until 23 August. 250B to the center of BKK, not far from Victory monument. I will look for more specific info when I get to Suvarnabhumi on the 19th.

I got in on the 19th, so it wasn't open yet, but did see a spot on the local news about the grand opening. It was obviously much over-rated and biased coverage. Oh well, guess I'll just stick to meter taxi, never had a problem yet.

Just done the airport run to nana, easy as chips. Airport rail link to end of line, about 7 stops, 15baht. Jump on the skytrain ,which is about a 30 second walk away, to Nana, 25 baht. Total cost 40baht. Little bit slower than taxi and a couple of stairs to hump luggage down but nothing to worry about. I did it at just after nine in morning and no hassle what so ever. There is an express train that runs to Makasan station costs 100 baht at moment. Makasan is two stops shy of the end of the line, transport hub to be, but only one express train passed my all stopping train so unless ones timing was spot on and didnt have to wait for it, it wouldnt have been significantly quicker. sorted.

Ideal if your staying in soi 6, off at nana hang a left turn into first soi and your less than a minutes walk from DG etc.

just did the airport train trip today too.....and lis is spot on. I believe it opened on 31 August. Trains every 15 minutes....clean and cool, and only 15 baht to Phaya Thai interchange station The trip takes 27 minutes. This station links with the Skytain, and another 15 minutes later (and another 25 baht) , I was in Nana. In total less than 45 minutes from the airport. Recommended!!

Wow, Finally!

Thanks for those updates guys. I missed the opening by a few days, I saw some reviews on other LOS forums indicating the opening was not a very big success, they must have got things straightened out.

Good news!

Yep.

There's no reason to use the airport link if you're staying in Sukhumvit.

Just get in the taxi,and say...."Hi-way,meter krap"

sorry mate newbee here...where will he drop you if you say that.. and how much please, im stopping near nana not decided yet which hotel..thanks

sorry mate newbee here...where will he drop you if you say that.. and how much please, im stopping near nana not decided yet which hotel..thanks

When you've picked up your bags,exit to the arrival hall,and follow the signs to the public taxi stand(DO NOT TAKE A TAXI FROM A TOUT).Tell the girl at the booth which hotel your staying at,and she'll write out a ticket/receipt for you (and the taxi driver). The words "Hi-way" and "meter" are just to tell him to switch on the meter(So you don't end up getting stitched up on the fare) and to take the express way,so you can get to your hotel(and get out shagging) quicker.

Should cost you in the region of about 300~350baht.

When you've picked up your bags,exit to the arrival hall,and follow the signs to the public taxi stand(DO NOT TAKE A TAXI FROM A TOUT).Tell the girl at the booth which hotel your staying at,and she'll write out a ticket/receipt for you (and the taxi driver). The words "Hi-way" and "meter" are just to tell him to switch on the meter(So you don't end up getting stitched up on the fare) and to take the express way,so you can get to your hotel(and get out shagging) quicker.

Should cost you in the region of about 300~350baht.

you sir ..are a gentleman...precise instructions even a newbee could understand thanks..and by saying "high-way meter krap" the driver wont smell fresh meat i take it..plus one from me cheers...i do the sky-train next trip

The City Line runs every 15 minutes and the Express Line runs every 30 minutes or so. Both lines operate from 6am to midnight.

Both lines also stop at Makkasan, which is good if one plans to transfer to the subway and then SkyTrain. But if I had luggage, I'd prolly grab a taxi instead of taking the subway/SkyTrain, because it would be too much bother. A taxi from Makkasan is good for the even Sukhumwit sois west of Asoke and the odd sois east of Asoke, but if I were going to Soi 4 or the odd sois on Sukhumwit east of Asoke, I'd ride the City Line to Ratchaprarop and take a tax from there.

At Ratchaprarop, you'll have to drag your luggage down to the street, but look around in case they have an elevator for the handicapped.

Although there's a taxi loop at the Ratchaprarop station, I can't recall ever seeing one there. The street isn't far away, so I'd head there to look for an available taxi. The street there is relatively busy, so it shouldn’t take long to find a ride. The fare to Nana should be around 60 THB or so, depending on traffic and traffic lights. There are two congested areas to go through (Pra Ram 9 and Soi 3/Sukhumwit), so YMMV. Even so, mid-day isn't bad, but things slow down everywhere at rush hour.

Hope that helps.

Good luck, and I look forward to hearing how taking the train worked out for you.

Edited by Trenton42

Bangcock just posted this detailed update on a thread on airport taxi's http://www.bangkokladyboys.net/forum/index.php?/topic/154-arriving-in-bkk-and-need-taxi/page__pid__15030#entry15030

Very helpful indeed listing several pros and cons as well as a link to their site for schedules.