Madchild

Hotel Icon Bangkok?

Hi all, trip is confirmed and trying to settle on a hotel. Trying to figure out other options (other than Dawin) and came across this property on Agoda and the prices seem reasonable and close to a couple of BTS (within 5 minutes) and a few minutes to NEP.

http://www.hoteliconbangkok.com/index.html

Tried a search on the forum first but didn't come across anything....or perhaps a name change?

Anyway, has anybody have any experience staying at this hotel? Are they guest friendly? Free wi-fi?

Thanks in advance to fellow BM's for any info provided!

I walked by this property on Soi 2 on my way to Aspen Suites. I would venture to say it's guest friendly given the location, but it would be in your best interests to call them and ask before booking. Their website says the rooms have free WiFi. I also looked at some of their specials which were kind of pricey in my estimation. 6,666 baht for 3 night stay was the romance special??? I think I would stay in Majestic Grande or JW Marriott if I was going to pay those prices. Definitely a higher end hotel than Dawin. The rooms are only 28 Sq meters which is pretty standard really.

I'm interested to see what the buggy carrige is that takes you 300 meters of the hotel? Is that just a complimentary Tuk Tuk.

Some one has to try it out but at those prices it's not going to be me anytime soon.

Thanks Siam Man.

I should've looked closely...yup...it says free WiFi on Agoda too. Yeahhh...6,666 baht for 3 nights is too much. I was looking on Agoda for mid Jan 2015, which is when I will be there and it's advertised as 1682 baht per night (OK? I think...). Dawin just raised their prices to 1805 baht per night on their site :wacko: which is why I'm looking for other hotels that's a slight ways from NEP. But I see iCheck Inn Sukhumvit Soi 2 is only 1,499 baht/night during the same dates....hmmmm...plenty of reviews here on that property...hmmm...I think we may have found a winner...

If you are booking any of the i Check In properties your best off going to their site direct. You can often access specials as well when staying 3 nights (10%) and 5 nights (20%) Return customers booking online get free upgrades too..

I heard back from Hotel Icon Bangkok and here is their reply in regards to bringing guests back:

"With regards to your question, we do not have joiner fee. However please be reminded that our normal occupancy per room is 2 person, therefore if there is a 3rd person staying the night, there will be an additional charge of THB 800 per night. Our maximum capacity per room is 3 person."

Ummm, at 1900baht/night (Agoda), I think I will keep an eye out and see if prices drop.

Edited by Madchild

Just got back from two nights here in this hotel. I would certainly recommend it. It is basically 5 mins from Sukhumvit road and probably just a bit longer to Nana Plaza if you use the cut through into the carpark where guess bar is located. There was no joiner fee and the staff were very friendly. I have stayed in a few hotels in BKK, I have been going for 15 years and this was as good as any. The wifi was good in the rooms, I took my laptop and phone and it worked fine.

I also got a great deal for the stay on Agoda, breakfast was good, they even drive you to sukhumvit road in a golf buggy if you require. Its really not needed as it is that close. If you need any more info just ask. All I can say is the hotel was great, Location great and I shall return.

Ok, cool! Thanks Pagrev.

Actually, I just went and reserved a room at Boss Suites. They quoted me 1600baht/night without breakfast so I booked through Agoda instead and it was 1359baht/night. I know Boss Suites is a little further away, but the price is really attractive. And with free cancellation, I figured it would be better to just reserve the room (and price) for now. But I will definitely keep an eye out for Hotel Icon since it looks so modern and fresh.

Thanks again for the review Pagrev!

I just looked at this hotel for February on Agoda. Their Iconic room has a BTS special. You get two BTS day passes per day, and two cocktails and tapas at their bar per day, free breakfast, 24 bus shuttle to Phloenchit Center. One time mini bar per stay, laptop safe. Agoda Insider deal for $97 AUD a night. It's Soi 2 location is just past Rajah Hotel Complex which is a short walk and they also have a free shuttle.

Hey blue wizard, not a problem at all. Here you go:

20150113_203942.jpg

20150113_204129.jpg

20150113_203956.jpg

The gym is small. But sufficient enough for a few nights stay there, I think.

While I'm at it, here are a couple of shots of the outdoor pool:

20150113_203850.jpg

20150113_203854.jpg

It's quite hot out today. I think I will try the pool later this afternoon.

Nice update Manchild ! thinking of there for my next trip. Looks spot thank you for the report.

You're welcome OTS!

I am happy to give back to a community that i've benefited so much from.

Cheers!

I've recently stayed for two nights at the Icon on Sukhumvit Soi 2.

As usual I first checked the hotel's own website for promotions and deals and then compared it to some hotel reservation sites such as Agoda and Expedia. To my surprise, the best deal I could find wasn't available on the hotel's own site but on zenhotels.com. Price for a "superior" (standard) room w/o breakfast was 2100B including taxes.

Officially a **** hotel, it looked more like a very good *** hotel. Anyway... doesn't really matter...

The hotel has opened I think in 2014 and still looks and feels rather new. There's some minor wear and tear here and there but overall it's okay. A little bit of mold in the shower cubicle but really nothing dramatic.

Reception / check-in was friendly and quick. I didn't get the desired upper floor room but instead a quiet second floor room away from the street. One of the front desk ladies is a ladyboy! :)

There are two elevators (lifts). No key cards necessary! There's a 24 h security guard so when bringing back a girl he'll ask you to register her. Definitely no joiner fee for the first girl. I think they said they charged for the second girl - but am not sure. BM Madchild mentioned 800B for the second guest in a previous post.

The room was bright and looked very nice to me. The hotel's favorite colors seem to be pink and white. I liked the large window front and the natural light that came into the room.

Didn't watch TV so don't know what and how many channels they have.

My room had a queen size bed that was very comfortable. A bit hard perhaps but not too much so. 2 soft and 2 firm(er) pillows. Room was very clean. Housekeeping lady was very helpful but didn't speak much English. I needed an ironing board and it was quickly delivered. A 10% service charge is automatically included in all bills.

The pool area on the 6th floor was too small for all the people there. A big big minus for me... At least the pool bar had some cold beer available...

I didn't eat there so cannot comment on the restaurant on the ground floor. I just know that brekkie can be had from 6:30 - 10 am.

WiFi very good. A/C excellent.

Location was the big plus: it's just 5 or 6 minutes on foot to NEP!!

When leaving the hotel, I asked for a metered taxi. The taxis that are waiting on Soi 2 however are all fixed priced taxis. So they took me and my suitcase on a golf buggy cart up to Sukhumvit. One of the hotel staff even successfully hauled me a metered taxi! That's service!

For the price (2100B incl. taxes) the hotel was okay.

20190320_163024.gif

IMG_20190320_162620.jpg

IMG_20190320_163231.jpg

IMG_20190320_163333.jpg

IMG_20190320_163134.jpg

IMG_20190320_163429.jpg

Edited by Thanks
Video

Looks pretty good value Thanks, I presume the tea and coffee is complimentary?

You have done some fantastic reporting for the forum by the way, do you have much more time there left?

1 hour ago, Thanks said:

I've recently stayed for two nights at the Icon on Sukhumvit Soi 2.

As usual I first checked the hotel's own website for promotions and deals and then compared it to some hotel reservation sites such as Agoda and Expedia. To my surprise, the best deal I could find wasn't available on the hotel's own site but on zenhotels.com. Price for a "superior" (standard) room w/o breakfast was 2100B including taxes.

Officially a **** hotel, it looked more like a good *** hotel. Anyway...

The hotel has opened I think in 2014 and still feels rather new. There's some wear and tear here and there but overall it's okay. A little bit of mold in the wet cell but nothing dramatic.

Reception was friendly and quick. I didn't get the desired upper floor room but instead a quiet second floor room away from the street. One of the front desk ladies is a ladyboy! ;)

There are two elevators (lifts). No key cards necessary! There's a 24 h security guard so when bringing back a girl he'll ask you to register her. Definitely no joiner fee for the first girl. I think they said they charged for the second girl - but am not sure. BM Madchild said 800B for the second guest in a previous post.

The room was bright and looked very good to me. The hotel's favorite colors seem to be pink and white. I liked the large window and the natural light that came into the room.

Didn't watch TV so don't know what and how many channels they have.

My room had a queen size bed that was very comfortable. A bit hard but not too much so. 2 soft and 2 firmer pillows. Room was clean. Housekeeping lady very helpful but didn't speak much English. I needed an ironing board and it was quickly delivered. A 10% service charge is automatically included in all bills.

The pool area on the 6th floor was too small for all the people there. A big big minus for me... At least the pool bar had cold beer available...

I didn't eat there so cannot comment on the restaurant on the ground floor. I just know that brekkie can be taken from 6:30 - 10 am.

WiFi very good. A/C excellent.

Location was the big plus: it's just 5 minutes on foot to NEP!!

When leaving the hotel, I asked for a metered taxi cab. The taxis that wait on Soi 2 however are all fixed priced taxis. So they took me and my suitcase on a golf buggy cart up to Sukhumvit. One of the hotel staff even successfully hauled me a metered taxi!

For the price of 2100B it was okay.

20190320_163024.gif

IMG_20190320_162620.jpg

IMG_20190320_162905.jpg

IMG_20190320_163231.jpg

IMG_20190320_163333.jpg

IMG_20190320_163134.jpg

IMG_20190320_163429.jpg

Thanks thanks for the detailed hotel review which was very good.

2 comments and a question:

Very often hotels will have silly pricing policies, like the one you describe, where their rack rate is more expensive than via booking portal, for which they have to pay a 10-15% commission. Daft but true. Citadines is more sophisticated and so you will tend to get a better deal if booked directly, but that's not the case with many other chains. I always try agoda, booking.com and then directly and compare the rates that are offered. Just be careful that they are all apples to apples and include the ++ charges.

In the third world and Spain, its always prudent to knock off 1 star from what they claim they are. Obviously this doesn't apply to the big Western chains such as Marriott or Sheraton etc.

The question is how far down soi 2 is the Icon? is it close to Sukhumvit or a forced march to get to the main street?

The pictures definitely look good and your room seemed to be in very good condition.

Cheers

SAG

16 hours ago, SAGuy said:

Very often hotels will have silly pricing policies, ... , where their rack rate is more expensive than via booking portal, for which they have to pay a 10-15% commission

I'm not sure what the reason for the price difference in my particular case was. I suspect however, that the hotel's revenue management system predicted 100% occupancy for my specific travel dates and automatically increased rates to optimize RevPAR.

The hotel indeed seemed to be full when I arrived by the way...

I also suspect that rates were either not automatically correspondingly increased on the zenhotels.com site or that they sell unused contingents or quota from travel agents and other consolidators that get lower than BAR (or even agency rates) than the two big online travel site groups Expedia on the one hand (with their brands hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, trivago...) and the (former) Priceline group (with their Agoda, booking.com, kayak, momondo... brands).

Also sometimes hotels simply want you to book through the big online travel sites (OTS). The more bookings an OTS is getting for a specific hotel, the more likely it is that the hotel will appear further up on their search results list. And the higher up on the list a hotel appears, the more people will book the hotel...

16 hours ago, SAGuy said:

The question is how far down soi 2 is the Icon? 

It is located very close to the (former) Majestic Grande hotel, around the corner from where Annie's BJ bar used to be, near the cut-through to the Hillary bars on Soi 4.

Getting from the Icon to the Marriott or the Ploenchit center on Sukhumvit will take about 5 minutes on foot. But the hotel also has a free on-request shuttle service to Sukhumvit. They stop by the Ploenchit center. Ploenchit BTS station is about 500 meters from the hotel.

http://www.hoteliconbangkok.com/m/location.php

16 hours ago, taaseesanuk said:

I presume the tea and coffee is complimentary?

Yes Taas. Also two bottles of water are free of charge every day.

The Icon is also only 10 minutes away from Chaos 9 ladyboy lounge (their sign says Chaos 9 food & drink...):

IMG_20190321_100551.jpg

Edited by Thanks

13 minutes ago, Thanks said:

I'm not sure what the reason for the price difference in my particularl case was. I suspect however, that the hotel's yield management system predicted 100% occupancy for my specific travel dates and automatically increased rates. The hotel indeed seemed to be full when I arrived by the way...

I also suspect that rates were either not automatically correspondingly increased on the zenhotels.com site or that they sell unused contingents or quota from travel agents and other consolidators that get lower (agency) rates than the two big online travel site groups Expedia on the one hand (with their brands hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, trivago...) and the Priceline group (with their Agoda, booking.com, kayak, momondo... brands).

Also sometimes hotels simply want you to book through the big online travel sites (OTS). The more bookings an OTS is getting for a specific hotel, the more likely it is that the hotel will appear further up on their search lists. And the higher up on the list, the more people will book the hotel...

It is located very close to the (former) Majestic Grande hotel, around the corner from where Annie's used to be, near the cut through to the Hillary bars on Soi 4.

Getting from the Icon to the Marriott or the Ploenchit center on Sukhumvit will take about 5 minutes on foot. But the hotel also has a free on-request shuttle service to Sukhumvit. They stop by the Ploenchit center. Ploenchit BTS station is about 500 meters from the hotel.

http://www.hoteliconbangkok.com/m/location.php

Yes Taas. Also two bottles of water are free of charge every day.

Cheers

Thanks thank for the answers.

This does sound like a good alternative to Citadines Soi 8, where I typically crash.

Regarding the 2 bottles of water. I seem to recollect that this is a law in the LOS, which does make sense due to the heat.

Cheers and enjoy the rest of your stay, you certainly do get off the beaten track!

SAG