Sign in to follow this  
Maitri

SM Grande Residence (updated 2015)

I have been searching and reading through the hotel reviews, but I can't find any mention of this hotel. It looks like it might be a decent place to stay. Has anyone stayed here?? I would really appreciate to know what your experience was like and if it is LB friendly, which being on Soi 4, one would assume.

I've taken a tour of the apartments at SM Grande with a view to a one year lease around 3 years ago, i'm not aware that they do short term stays under 6 months.

The apartments are ok just normal, fairly spacious with average fixtures and fittings, nothing too special but not too bad maybe 6/10

The pool isnt massive but a good size and is very nice and has a whirlpool jacuzzi next to it, and the gym is well equipped and new.

This apartment hotel is very popular with long term arabic customers and families.

The reception staff i met are not very happy and are not personable at all.

The best place i looked at and i looked at alot of places in soi 6 and 4, was the place opposite Dynasty Grande in soi 6 and one place down the small soi next to the woraburi which may have been called Boss suites, both of these places were plush and very well decorated and operated, but i think thye may only have been doing mid long term contracts, best to do doem research on them.

The Dawin and the Dynasty Grande are ok for hotel rooms, Grande Sukhumvit at the bend of soi6 is also recommended by some BM's here, and not far to soi 8 through the alleyway and past the BJ bar, you can also follow soi 6 to the end at sukhumvit and use the overhead walkway to get to Soi 7 and 5 if you like to avoid nana.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/th/s-m-grande-residence.html

Thanks very much for the reply Cap'n. I noticed that it is available for hotel-type stay, by the night on the net. I looked at Agoda prices and it was close to 40/night which I didn't think was bad... but taking into consideration what you said about the reception staff, I think I might pass. Thank you again for the info.

I did one night at this place last week. My regular hotel was fully booked when I wanted to stay one more day so i thought I'd try something a bit cheaper to see if it I would still be satisfies on something a little more budget friendly. Also wanted to try being right on Soi 4.

Turns out I would rather pay the extra baht. This place was maybe nice a decade ago or more, but you can tell whoever manages it now doesn't really care and just seems to be bailing the boat. The lobby looks really nice but once you're in the halls and rooms it looks old and in need of renovation.

The rooms are huge, like needlessly huge to the point where they echo. My toilet was facing the shower with maybe 10cm in between so you had sit on it with both legs to the side. Which is mostly just bizarre and kind of funny. The shower was old and dingy.

The worst thing about this hotel is the multitude of signs everywhere telling you not to break stuff or you'll be charged, followed by telling you they are watching on CCTV. Things that are just common sense and would be comfortable in one paragraph on the waiver you sign when you check in. One example is a sign in the elevator that tells you not to press all the buttons on the elevator or you might break it and they will charge you 5000 baht. First of all, obviously you don't do this and the only one that need to be told are small children. Second, your elevator can't handle visiting multiple floors? Maybe you should upgrade this, let alone multiple things in the hotel before it collapses. Sorry got a little ranty there.

The one redeeming quality of this hotel is the really big pool and hot tub with plenty of sunshine... too bad I didn't get a chance to use it.

Overall I was embarrassed to bring girls back here and in the future, would rather pay the extra baht and have a nice place.