creed

Flight ratings (2015 updates)

Thai Airways

Can't handle the non-stop flight any more - last time was 2 years ago on Thai Air with a very old plane and each way was an unending nightmare.

Qatar

My preference has been Qatar with short stop at Doha, always a pleasure, clean & modern planes, with decent food.

JET

Last trip in August, my mate persuaded me to travel in a group (since divorce I have gone solo), and his wife the travel agent got some good deals with the Indian JET Airways via Mumbai. Well, the outbound leg was fairly uneventful, although the Mumbai airport smelt rank, but no probs. On the way back however, it was hellish:

1. My hot meal had a chipped porcelain dish, which I only discovered when chewing on the sharp shards of porcelain within the meal. I didn't make any fuss and was given a replacement meal. Was also given a feedback card which I did complete, as it wasn't particularly pleasant (and you never know - some recompense?). Result - nothing, nada, zilch. Maybe the card was recycled though, that'd be great.

2. We had about 2 hours stopover in Mumbai on the return. After disembarking from the plane, we were in a huge crowd, whom the authorities insisted on checking all hand-luggage and stamping a card. It wasn't even organised chaos, it was utter and absolute chaos, I've never seen the like of this bureaucratic shambles! And when finally getting to the scanner, my bag and (removed) laptop go in one direction, I go the other direction! Talk about stress. We weren't even staying, which I don't understand. In and amongst this melee were manoeuvred wheelchair users, and just for fun trolley loads full of rubbish. The longshot is it took 1 3/4 hours to get through, lots of swearing passengers vowing never to set foot in India again, and no time for a pee before rushing to board the connecting flight.

3. On the last leg home, we had 3 people sat behind who sneezed all the way back, without making a motion towards use of a tissue. Nice, got for the "Barry Normans" big time. A week later I came down with a sinus infection - related, who knows...?

My next flights in April/May are booked with Emirates, and can't wait. I'd rather spend the extra £100 or so, and remove the stress and chaos. Give me an easy life. :D

Result - nothing, nada, zilch. Maybe the card was recycled though, that'd be great.

Ha Hah ha! I enjoyed that line. Great post by the way, very helpful for travelers flying that direction on long haul flights.

I have flown on Star alliance Airlines most of the time So that includes Singapore Air and Thai Airlines. I have also used Jet Star coming from Australia.

The best experiences have been on Singapore Air lines. the best lounges of all the Star Alliance partners by far. The in flight entertainment is the best I've seen so far. The only thing that upset one time was when a Malaysian stewardess woke me up asking if I wanted a meal. Now they have little stickers you can put on your shirt that says not to disturb. They are so nice and polite, a big contrast to their partner Star Alliance members United in the States and even Air New Zealand. The stop in Singapore helps break up the trip a bit and alway good to get a bit of a walk around in and that Airport is great for duty free shopping, eating, free internet, it has everything and never mind the layover there.

Thai Airlines is friendly as well, but is a step down for inflight entertainment, but not bad. Their lounges fall short of Singapore Airs as does their planes. Singapore Air seems to have more roomy seating and the planes seem more modern.

Jet Star is the low budget airline of Qantas. Qantas is flying to less International destinations these days as Jet Star is covering those routes. Truly a no frills airline, and despite being an International flight you still have to pay for meals, drinks, and entertainment. Old planes, uncomfortable seating all make you keep thinking it was a cheap ticket the whole way.

Qantas still flies to BKK but are not very competitive in pricing and just don't match up to Singapore Air and Thai Airlines. Their frequent flyer program is lame. Much easier to accumulate points through a Star Alliance airline. Qantas lounges substandard as well.

Thai Airlines are the best from Auckland 11.5hrs, i book a window seat and eat some food then take 2 sleeping tablets and if all is well i can pretty much sleep for 6 -7 hours

on my last trip i had a full row to myself and the girl woke me to tell me we were ready for landing 9 hours sleep :D

on my last trip i had a full row to myself and the girl woke me to tell me we were ready for landing 9 hours sleep :D

I find that better than First class as far as being able to lie flat and sleep. The best thing to do is see how full the flight is and if its not very full there is a good chance they can get you a row in the back. The 5 seat middle is ideal, I'll settle for a 3 seat side versus having peole next to you for that long. Aussies and Kiwi's don't have as bad as Euros and Yanks as far as the flight times.

I have only flown Cathay Pacific from Los Angeles to Bankok with a very brief stop for plane change in Hong Kong. Leave LAX just after midnignt and arrive in Bkk just before noon. Total flight time around 17 hours. First time I was traveling with a friend and the agent booked us in the very last row in Ecomomy because there were only two seats in the row. Thaought the location next to the toilets and the new-fangled slide-to-recline seats would be hell but I was wrong on both counts. Also was a little concerned with all the individual entertainment systems. Thought we would be unindated with 86 different programs flashing all over the cabin. I was wrong here also. Due to the late departure they closed all the shades and turned off all the lights. Everyone slep almost all the way to Hong Kong. Hardly anyone even turned on a reading light. I completely slep thru the first meal which was ok since the food was not all that great.

Have been booking my own flights since that first trip. Always get an isle seat. On the last return trip we were delayed getting into Hong Kong due to strong head winds. They put us up in a very nice hotel right at the airport including an excellent buffet dinner. Put us on another flight about 6 hours later so we arrived in LA same day just a little late. Wound up in a midde seat for 12 hours but you know what?...It wasn't that bad.

Currently booking a trip for June but fairs have gone WAY up. Paid USD 1184 RT last November on Cathay Pacific. Now same flight is USD 1590. I checked with Thai Airways who have a nonstop. The cost is USD 1656 and the flight times are not nearly as convenient. Going is ok, return is terrible.

I normally fly Qatar too. Their business class service is fairly good but not as as good as Singapore. Their seats in business though flat is not parallel to the floor and is slanted a bit. Then they have the seats side by side and do not have the privacy.

I fly on Air Canada a lot too and their business class "cubicle" seat is completely flat and very good though their service and entertainment is crap. The seats offer a lot of privacy and you do not see the next passenger at all as the seats are independent.

Etihad and Oman have very good seats in both business and economy. The problem with Qatar's economy seats are that you cannot raise the arm rests all the way. Singapore is probably the best airline in the World but these days I do not get the chance to fly them at all.

I have flown in Sri Lankan airlines too and though their seats are still the old style, their in flight service is extremely friendly and good.

Travelling from Brisbane Australia to BKK, I prefer Singapore Airlines and Thai Air. That 8 hour direct to and from BKK on Thai Air is best option, but the most expensive. I found both of their in flight entertainment systems have slipped in the past couple of years. Less options on Singapore and Thai Air has more Asian based programming. Meals and overall service I still give the nod to Singapore Air.

S.Arica site visit 001.JPG

S.Arica site visit 006.JPG

S.Arica site visit 009.JPG

S.Arica site visit 010.JPG

Thai Airways 777 has 34" seat pitch, and seats are much comfortable than Singaporean. Traveling from Europe to Asia, i go Thai always. Its one of the few airlines i can sit with my legs crossed in economy, and i'm 6' tall. Also did Thai from Beijing-Bkk in a 747, and it was even better. Bkk-Taipeh is just a short 2hr hop, so the 330 they used there was a little more cramped, but i kinda expected that.

One airline to avoid is Air China, its nearly as bad as KLM.

Glad you posted that as I hadn't seen it yet. Funny and appropriate vid.

It has to be Emirates for me but I am a bit (okay a lot) bias.

I'm not too fussed about a direct flight as I like to stretch my legs half way... also gives me an opportunity to visit family while I am in Dubai.

One observation (not a complaint) is that the food is almost always better when you depart from anywhere other than Dubai.

The more I fly, the less I care about the different AIrlines. I don't care what IFE-Systems or Food or .. or ..

What I care for is

1.) Safety

2.) Flighttime

3.) Convinient Flightshedule

So my two cents worth:

1.) If in Econemy, try to have stop-over on long haul, e.g. if you fly Sweden-Bkk maybe use Emirates or Etihad so you have two 6 hour stints and abreak to stretch your legs.

2.) Better - if you have the douw - fly Business. Then only book direkt flights and go for an overnight flight. Get on board, eat , drink sleep - zzzzzzzZZZZ - welcome to LOS - Perfect.

And about all the Inflight junk - bring a good book or an ipad (if you have to) and entertain yourself.

Just done the London Dubai Bangkok run on Emirates. Nearly always fly with them because so embedded into their Sky Awards scheme and can use their lounges at all airports, somewhere to sit, free beer, Wifi, etc: and its a good airline, but over the last year and a bit I think their staff service in terms of just being smiley and customer focus has slipped a lot. Some off the staff seem up on the miserable quota. Last month flew Bangkok to London on Etihad and they seemed far happier and Abu Dhabi airport is pretty good, smaller and compact, no need for all the marching around one does in Dubai. Only on the basis of one flight with Etihad in my opinion they topped Emirates. But the exception to the rule is the lovely girl who works the gate desk for Emirates at Dubai, her shifts must coincide with my flight patterns as she almost always there, recognises me gives a little smile and with no further ado takes my Economy boarding pass away and gives me the business slip. Last five trips, Ive had 4 upgrades from her alone, she's a star. Having said that once in Business class this time, got to agree with TT, the food I got this time was without doubt the worst I've ever tasted in any class in any airline. it was fucking horrible. Even the little cheese sandwich NOK air gives away was a gourmet dish in comparison. Words alone can not describe the horror that was the steak in leak sauce, or the Arabic Mezze starter. Fortunately the French red and Champagne came out of a bottle so they couldn't screw that up too much. Still can't knock a free upgrade, it makes all the difference. Just wish I could get the London Airport Staff to get with the Upgrade me program.

some great recommondations unfortunately none of them are really an option for most of us in the US. I am going over for my third trip to BKK and am going to fly with Delta again. I hate delta as well as most other us based airlines as they are dominated by unions which means they are all about themselves and not customer service. The only reason I went with them is travel time. I booked with them for a little bit better price than even the search sites and have less travel time. I will probably regret it but I was able to get aisle seats on every flight so I can get up whenever I want also a good reason to go with them. I would rather go with Korean air as I did on my second trip. The service was great and it seemed like they had twice as many flight attendants as the us airlines. They were also very cute. The seats are a little tight on space though. I would go with them again if the price was right but will not go out of my way since it means flying to Chicago then flying on from there which is an hour in the wrong direction. Many of the good airlines to fly with are this way since MSP is not a major airport not all of the carriers come this way but will link a flight to Chicago or other big airport. That is yet another reason why I went with Delta as MSP is one of their hubs they inherited from Northwest when they merged so good flights out of there at times. It is only out of convience that I will fly with the US carriers at all. I wish I could fly with Thai Air as I had a couple of short flights in SEA which were great.

Qantas For me this time. Never done a trip to Bangkok with them, but shocked at the price difference , usual 1200 bucks , but because Xmas new year 2200 bucks , bloody Australians , but all I good get :-(

Qantas For me this time. Never done a trip to Bangkok with them, but shocked at the price difference , usual 1200 bucks , but because Xmas new year 2200 bucks , bloody Australians , but all I good get :-(

No it's bloody Qantas upper management. I rarely fly Qantas and never International. They are doing very few International routes, and have parted out many to Jet Star. Jet Star sucked when I flew them to Phuket once. Lousy service and paying for refreshments, snacks and inflight entertainment. I may use my Qantas points to fly to BKK eventually, but you have to pay taxes which are higher than other carriers taxes for the same routes. Go figure. Your probably best off flying Star alliance Air New Zealand- Singapore Air - Thai Air.

How is your trip going Lotus?

Don't fly until Thursday , every thing planned , first night mrs lotus meets me at airport then to apartment , next day with her family ( bring cakes get me loads of points ) then fly to ,chiang Mai on the 30th until the 10th then in Bangkok or hua hin , would be keen to meet up with anyone with mrs lotus and I , so if anyone about from the 10 th give me a tinkle , ... Have to say going from a a short time to a full on relationship with its up and downs is great, never once has mrs lotus been a ladyboy been a issue , more the fact that I act like a twat at times with friends , most friends have said , when discussings Mrs lotus as a ladyboy / transexual as so what , you still a twat ;-)

Slam p.m me and I will give you my email and a couple of pictures of me and me and mrs lotus . ...

I was thinking you were there before Christmas, but at least your there for our NYE, not sure how that goes off in CM. there are more farangs per capita there than anywhere in LOS.

You can send photos via PM's here. Why don't you just post some shots of her that you are comfy with in advanced or better yet a TR in advanced.

Back to the skies, let us know how that Qantas flt goes. So many cutbacks with Cabin crew, I'm wondering if their International service is effected.

g'day guys

i have flown from aussieland to bkk with qantas,thai,british airways and emirates....emirates wins hands down on price , comfort ,,entertainment,,,and food ,,,wouldnt consider flyinh with anyone else on this route :)

Cheers !

For those of you who contemplate travelling EUR -THAI with Aeroflot, you will regret it.

Aeroflot has stopped all serving of alcohol on their flights economy class, i found it incredibly hard to get any sort of consistent sleep without having the dulling effect of a few small bottles of. Its been a hard day towards night today.

Good night

Aeroflot - for those of us brought up in the Cold war was a byword for soviet inefficiency. Sorry to hear standards remain the same. On the bright side - you're now in paradise!

I few with them from London to Moscow and then on to Tokyo back in 1992 and that was the last and only time I would fly with them. Rickety planes and over zealous staff at the airport. Plus my backpack was broken into and Christmas cards ripped open and peal necklaces had been removed. Their was four one four each of Yukie's (girlfriend) sisters and one for her mam. They cut through my backpack to get them.

I also saw a guy dragged away buy Russian soldiers for being drunk at the airport.

Edited by OneTrueSaxon

For those of you who contemplate travelling EUR -THAI with Aeroflot, you will regret it.

Aeroflot has stopped all serving of alcohol on their flights economy class, i found it incredibly hard to get any sort of consistent sleep without having the dulling effect of a few small bottles of. Its been a hard day towards night today.

Good night

It was a matter of time before they stopped serving alcohol. I worked in Moscow for six months commuting from Amsterdam where I was living at the time. The Russians flying home would either open a bottle of their own after take off or pester the crew incessantly during the flight.

I travel to moscow quite a lot and even in the airports you can only buy beer, no wine or spirits. They trying to stop the Russians getting plastered before the flight.

Does it work nah, they buy a bottle in duty free for the lounge and the plane