cutefarang

Visa Run

This post is for anyone who plans on staying in BKK long term on Tourist Visas. If you have a tourist visa you are allowed 60 days in country and then can get an additional 30 by making the wonderful trip to immigration (relatively painless half day trip to the outskirts of Bangkok). After those 30 days you need to leave the country to obtain a new visa. One of my favorite places to go is Penang, Malaysia. I usually catch the overnight train to Butterworth (about $30 US). The train isn't as bad as you would think provided you bring something to keep you occupied, I usually bring a good book and a few magazines. If your going to take the train it is worth it to pay a little bit extra for a bottom rack. Penang is a wonderful little island/city that gives you a break from the hustle and bustle of the Big Mango. I always enjoy getting away from the city for a bit.

There is a decent but small LB scene, mostly street workers and free lancers. There are a few LB friendly bars but they are nothing like we are used to here. Prices are roughly the same as BKK for ST (never tried LT). Most of the guesthouses in Georgetown will do all the visa work for you for a small fee. My guesthouse of choice is Banana Guest House. It's cheap, clean, comfortable and at night the LB's line up right across the street. My advice is to avoid them at first and head out to the bars first, you can usually find better looking ones in the bars around Georgetown. If you can't find one you like you can always grab one of the street workers on the way back to your room.

I have also done visa runs to Laos and Cambodia. If anyone needs any advice of the current visa situation in BKK (or any of the surrounding countries) feel free to PM me. I do a lot of free lance work in the area so I have to stay up to date on the current visa situations.

This is good info and I have been planning a trip around that International express train down to Malaysia. Feel free to add some simple trip reports even if you do not have any photo's. Many of the members are interested in side trips and this one to Malaysia is often overlooked. I read recently of a guy who did a Vientiane run and flew up. Lot of queues at the border points etc etc. He clearly should have taken the overnight express by train and switched onto the little train that goes over the bridge. Apparently, nobody uses it who needs a visa on arrival into lao and the whole thing takes less than 5 minutes as its not the same immigration point. I intend doing that overnight soon as part of a bigger trip up to Chiang Mai and over into Lao and Luang Prabang. Although I may fly the Luang prabang to Vientianne bit, everything else will be by rail or boat.

This is good info and I have been planning a trip around that International express train down to Malaysia. Feel free to add some simple trip reports even if you do not have any photo's. Many of the members are interested in side trips and this one to Malaysia is often overlooked. I read recently of a guy who did a Vientiane run and flew up. Lot of queues at the border points etc etc. He clearly should have taken the overnight express by train and switched onto the little train that goes over the bridge. Apparently, nobody uses it who needs a visa on arrival into lao and the whole thing takes less than 5 minutes as its not the same immigration point. I intend doing that overnight soon as part of a bigger trip up to Chiang Mai and over into Lao and Luang Prabang. Although I may fly the Luang prabang to Vientianne bit, everything else will be by rail or boat.

I just added one trip report about Cambodia. I may have a second one coming this week as I am slowly finding the hot LB spots in this city. Malaysia is a very nice country to visit, KL has a decent LB scene and Singapore is only a few hours (about 4) away by train, even quicker by private car hire. Penang is an excellent little city, the train takes you to Butterworth and then it's a quick 15 minute ferry to the island. It is a good place to get away for a bit after an extended stay in BKK, relatively compact city with lots of culture. I might do a generic Penang trip report, I have plenty of pictures of the city.

Just read this from Bangkok Post

"Immigration police have announced they are clamping down on tourists who remain illegally in Thailand by exploiting permission given to many foreigners to enter Thailand without a visa and remain up to 30 days at a time.

The clampdown does not affect holders of non-immigrant visas or holders of tourist visas who still have remaining entries permitted on their legal visas.
The crackdown aims at foreign visitors, particularly westerners, who do not hold a visa, but who exit and then immediately return to Thailand every 15 or 30 days to receive another stamp to extend their stay. A loophole aimed at helping short-term visitors allows foreigners from many countries to enter Thailand for between 15 and 30 days without a visa...."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/asia/409403/thai-immigration-clamps-down-on-visa-runs

BMs who do visa runs may need to take some caution.
Also not sure how it is going to affect the girls. More Tea/Coffee money perhaps?

Not sure this holds water but....

Pol Lt Col Tauthong Thitchai of Surin Immigration, in whose territory is the busy Chong Jom crossing into Cambodia, told The Phuket News today, “Bangkok Immigration published an order to be more strict. All immigration officers have to do the same.

“The main reason is the lost Malaysian Airlines flight MH370.” Two people on that flight were carrying passports reported lost or stolen in Phuket.

“So Thailand is being watched by other countries because the passports went missing in Thailand. And Immigration [in Bangkok] felt they had to do something about this. Yes, we have to do it.”

http://www.thephuketnews.com/missing-mh370-%E2%80%98behind-visa-run-crackdown%E2%80%99-fingerprints-next-46232.php

Last time i had to do a visa run i went to Savannakhet (just acroos the friendshipbridge II from Mukdahan), I used tha Jack Total Golf: http://www.jackgolf.com/en/visa_run/index.html But seems that the are now doing their vis runs to Cambodia instead. They are located in Suk soi 12 (Sukhumvit Plaza, 3rd floor)

Edited by pikogpatter

Just read this from Bangkok Post

"Immigration police have announced they are clamping down on tourists who remain illegally in Thailand by exploiting permission given to many foreigners to enter Thailand without a visa and remain up to 30 days at a time.

The clampdown does not affect holders of non-immigrant visas or holders of tourist visas who still have remaining entries permitted on their legal visas.
The crackdown aims at foreign visitors, particularly westerners, who do not hold a visa, but who exit and then immediately return to Thailand every 15 or 30 days to receive another stamp to extend their stay. A loophole aimed at helping short-term visitors allows foreigners from many countries to enter Thailand for between 15 and 30 days without a visa...."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/asia/409403/thai-immigration-clamps-down-on-visa-runs

BMs who do visa runs may need to take some caution.
Also not sure how it is going to affect the girls. More Tea/Coffee money perhaps?

Best way around this is to get a 60 day tourist visa from your home country before you leave after 60 days you can go to immigration and get an extra 30 days before you need to leave the country.