Sign in to follow this  
Youngone

G's Bangkok-Patpong 2

When I plan a night out in Patpong, I typically kick it off with a dinner at G's in Patpong soi 2, adjacent to Foodland. G's was started 2 years ago by Guido, a German chef who has been in Thailand for about 17 years and who used to be the GM of Livingstone's Lodge in soi 33, nowadays called Ocean Bangkok. On a side note, Guido was quite well know in Germany before he made the move to Thailand as he had his own cooking show on TV in the 90's.

The place is quite small, probably about 10-12 tables and serves German food as well as Thai food, but obviously with Guido being German the emphasis lies on German food and drink. There are around 30 specialty German beers on stock as well as a number of great schnapps bottles. The food is the typical German robust type, with portions that could feed half a family. Before ordering you get some home made bread and good garlic butter, which is not always easy to find in Bangkok, and Guido talks you through the menu and specialties of the day. Main dishes vary in price between 200 Baht for Curry sausages to 450 Baht for excellent Pepper Schnitzels or Caper Meatballs , so a visit won't exactly break the bank...

Guido himself is quite a colourful character who'll entertain you with some of his political views and Thai experiences from the last 17 years. He's not a LB lover per se, instead he's a regular in Silom soi 4 and connoisseur of Thai boys; it's always a parade of characters visiting the restaurant every time I visit down there.

The place definitely gets a thumbs up from me when it comes to the food as well as for the 'value for money' factor.

https://www.facebook.com/GsBangkokRestaurant

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d3446028-Reviews-G_s_Bangkok-Bangkok.html

Guido in one of his typical poses :)

Guido & Sharkey.JPG

Edited by Youngone