mardhi

Train travel in Thailand

State railway has a website that is ok, but if you want to do a bit of reading about train travel in Thailand (or even any country, Burma for example), this is the site to read:-

http://www.seat61.com

The site is vast and on the left column you can select the region and then country you want to look at.

this guy is a real railway buff and the detail on Thailand is as good as you will get anywhere. he details all the routes, the trains, the interiors by route and even the food they serve.

If you ever wanted info on travelling within Thailand by rail, this is heaps better than the railway's own website.

Thanks for posting seat 61. I've looked at it off an on over the last few months.

I assume one cannot book trains online yet, but there is a service that will do it for you if you think a particular route or date might be sold out:

http://www.asia-discovery.com/train.htm

Go to the bottom and the train services are explained. I would assume other travel agencies will do the same. (This is not an endorsement for Asia-Discovery)

i did Bangkok to Hua Hin 3rd class . never again :Bonkers: :No No Tut Tut:

Thought you would have been sat in 1st class mate. Wooden bench seats don't seem your thing. Still what were you expecting for 90b fare?

Thought you would have been sat in 1st class mate. Wooden bench seats don't seem your thing. Still what were you expecting for 90b fare?

I went to the station and though I had enough time for a smoke , as usual got chatting to a american had a coffee and went to get first class only to be told only 3rd left. When the snacks and drinks came around I pulled out a 1000tbt note only to be laughed at , 6 hours without a drink :-(

I went to the station and though I had enough time for a smoke , as usual got chatting to a american had a coffee and went to get first class only to be told only 3rd left. When the snacks and drinks came around I pulled out a 1000tbt note only to be laughed at , 6 hours without a drink :-(

Same train this guy took lotus ?

I have done Bangkok to Butterworth a few times on Visa runs. It is really not that bad of a journey. The train is entirely 2nd class sleeper cars, best to get a bottom rack as you have a little more room. Last time I went I believe a top rack was 1050 baht and a bottom was 1140. I always bring a book, some magazines and load up the laptop with some movies to pass the time buy. There is an ok food cabin which does serve cold beer as well as various vendors at each stop selling street food. All in all its about a 22 hour journey including about an hour at Malaysia/Thai customs.

i did Bangkok to Hua Hin 3rd class . never again :Bonkers: :No No Tut Tut:

I once got on a 7 hour train ride, 3rd class standing. They were the only tickets available, so we took them. The ticket was something like 28B (from Bangkok to Pratchuap). But no problem: we spent the whole time in the restaurant car--great seats, very pleasant drinking beer and watching the scenery float by.

Hi All

Has anyone done the Bangkok to Kanchanburi train journey? If so was it any good or would i be better getting a bus or taxi.

The reason i am asking is i want to go and do some proper sight seeing, bridge of the river Kwai etc, i am going to use Bangkok as my base but grab a couple of cheeky nights in Kanchanburi.

I have seen the youtube vids and the trains look good to travel on, just wanna know if anyone has experienced the journey

With Thanks

Pat

I did a tour of bridge over the river Kwai. I opted for the one day tour. Minivan picked me up at the hotel and dropped me off 12 or so hours later. There were other options to stay longer but I did not take them. I would on the next go around.

The way it works is pretty interesting. You do need to pay attention and make sure you do not loose your *identifier*. ( Mine fell off while riding the train in 3rd class and a Thai person picked it up and handed it to me. I had no idea it had fallen off. I guess she knew I needed it) After hotel pickup there is a rendezvous near Khoa San Rd. Everybody gets assigned Minivans according to their level of service and destinations. Then you are off.

You can see the one I took here: http://www.asia-discovery.com/river-kwai/rvk-01.htm

After the in town stuff (Jeath Museum and the bridge) you will ride in the minivans to a remote train *station* in Ban Kao and take 3rd class train cars back.

All during the trip things are changing so always keep your little color patch identifier visable. Two people got on the wrong bus and when they got back to Khoa San Rd the tour operators paid for a taxi to their hotel.

I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Hi All

Has anyone done the Bangkok to Kanchanburi train journey? If so was it any good or would i be better getting a bus or taxi.

The reason i am asking is i want to go and do some proper sight seeing, bridge of the river Kwai etc, i am going to use Bangkok as my base but grab a couple of cheeky nights in Kanchanburi.

I have seen the youtube vids and the trains look good to travel on, just wanna know if anyone has experienced the journey

With Thanks

Pat

Have a read of this link about the train. There is regular every day service plus special weekend train which goes from the main station (hualumpong) which is easier for being in central BKK (its quite near Patpong just of Rama 4.

http://www.seat61.com/Bridge-on-the-River-Kwai.htm#.UzLlaM73OV4

Hi All

With Thanks

Pat

I've made that trip by both train and minivan. It can be comfortable either way, depending on the minivan you take/train class cabin. Avoid the cheap government ones at all cost, they are cramped and the drivers all think they are Mario Andretti. If you go with a private one it may cost a little more but it will be much more comfortable. There is some amazing sight seeing in that area always good to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city as well.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I shall look at the infamous man from seat61 (I did not think of looking on that site for Kanchanburi), as i really like to travel by train as i work on the railways at home and wanna experience theirs, busmans holiday really :)

Flipflops, I am not really a tour type person that is tied to a group, i prefer to wander and learn on my own at my own pace but thanks for your info and your experience

Pat

The long distance routes are getting new carriages starting next year. Here is a link to a quick video:-

http://www.bangkokpost.com/vdo/travel/1038469/thai-trains-going-modern

Those don't look too bad, I have taken the train quite a few times between BKK and Malaysia and it always a pretty cool experience but some creature comforts like a touchscreen entertainment center would be a welcome addition.