I did not know where to add this topic, but is US currency accepted in bkk., also can I use an atm or abm card there or CC to withdraw money?

Any money exchangers in nana plaza?

This info would be really helpful., thanks,

and what currency do you recommend carrying and when leaving hotels etc., do you take your passport cash with yoU? I know theres safety deposit boxes, but dont think my hotel does., Im staying at boss suites.

Thanks

There are several ATM machines in thailand. any Ladyboy can help you find the nearest one. lol. Your ATM card will work in most depending on your bank. Thai Baht is the currency of choice. I have heard of bargirls, and LB's taking U.S. dollar when the customer couldn't be bothered to change the money at an exnchange. Your best bet is an ATM card. Fees are charged at most, but as you will read on a thread here there are a few that don't.

You can get a cash advance with a credit card. higher interest rates and charges occur.

Generally you don't need to bring your passport with you. If you are making transactions involving banks you will need to bring your passport.

Some hotels have safes in rooms. Those that don't often have lockboxes behind the desk.

Personally I withdraw money through ATM's and then try to spread it out in several different stashes. I never carry it all with me. When I go out I usually bring what I will spend, and mabe keep a 500 baht note in my sock, shoe, etc, just in case. I rarely take my ATM card out. I good thing to do is link you credit card to an account so you can use it as an ATM card as well. I once left a card in a machine in Phuket and it was a big hassle getting a new one sent over. If my card was linked I could have used it, I just never did this in the past. So I had to get cash advances instead.

According to Boss Suites Website and rooms do have Personal electronic safes so you are OK on that point.

Foreign ATM cards are charged 150 THB / transaction at all ATM's with the exception of the Aeon Bank and Bank of Ayudhya, unfortunatley these banks don't tend to have branches in "Tourist" areas. Forget Travellers Cheques, too much hassle to cash as you need to carry your passport to do so.

Pesonaly I would arrive with a fist full of S100 bills, change $200 at the airport ensuring you have 500 THB in 100 Baht notes since Taxi drivers are notorious for not having change and then putting the US$ + $100 in THB into hotel safe along with passport etc. Just ensure that you take a $100 bill out with you and change to THB as and when required. The Baht in the safe is so that you still have money for your guests "Taxi Fare" in the morning even if you blow everything the previous night.

Anyone contemplating multiple visits to Thailand may want to look into opening a local bank account, the rules do state that you cannot open an account on a Torist Visa or 30 Day transit visa but many banks turn a blind eye to this. All that is required is your passport and deposit and within 10 minutesa you will have bank passbook and ATM card. That way for future visits you can transfer funds from home account when the exchange rate is favourable, plus you will get the slightly higher exchange rate.

Thanks a lot guys, big tention off my head, ill keep everything in the safe and only take out

Money that I will use.

You think its safe to leave a suitcase open in the room when I'm not there? Or always lock it?

The boss suites are super nice, they're pickin me up, arrangin my taxi to pattaya and are guest

Friendly, if my stay is good ill give u guys a lot of details about nearby spots and my experiences

Thanks

Thanks a lot guys, big tention off my head, ill keep everything in the safe and only take out

Money that I will use.

You think its safe to leave a suitcase open in the room when I'm not there? Or always lock it?

The boss suites are super nice, they're pickin me up, arrangin my taxi to pattaya and are guest

Friendly, if my stay is good ill give u guys a lot of details about nearby spots and my experiences

Thanks

I used the exchange in the airport at BKK and got 15% better rate for dollar and euro than in Amsterdam. ATMs are ok too.

Do not trust anybody in a hotel. The room safes have codes which can open them at any time. I lost money from my locked room safe at the Areca Lodge in pattaya. The staff know this code. I always lock my case. If the hotel has safe deposit I would use that.

I used the exchange in the airport at BKK and got 15% better rate for dollar and euro than in Amsterdam. ATMs are ok too.

Do not trust anybody in a hotel. The room safes have codes which can open them at any time. I lost money from my locked room safe at the Areca Lodge in pattaya. The staff know this code. I always lock my case. If the hotel has safe deposit I would use that.

I think the safety deposit boxes are more secure.

In any hotel safe I also use a pac safe.. Something lockable inside the safe thats obvious if tampered with, and accessed only by me, ie: not just bank notes in a metal box that others know the combination to. Personally I lock up everything.

I always use ATMs, they are everywhere and therefore easy to get cash if you're in a sudden need. Usually withdraw 20K a time and stash in the safe.

Never had any problems about scimmers, but I have read the problem is on increase in LOS too. I recently had my VISA card scimmed in my own country. Here I rarely use the ATM since I can withdraw from any shop, but this time I needed some extra dosh because I was about to see

a black TV called Carmela. The local shop didn't have the required amount so I had to you use an ATM. I remember it quite clearly, and since

this ATM is in a bit of a dodgy area, I checked the machine before I inserted my card. Everything seemed ok. But a few weeks later the

bank called me and told me they had to cancel my card since there were a report that this particular ATM have had a scimmer attached, and

my card came on a list within this time period. Quite shitty, since I was leaving the country 2 days later and there were no way they

would be able to replace it. Luckily I got other cards, if not I would been wandering about with trousers full of hard cash.

Got skimmed in Uk. Public well established ATM no real sign of anything dodgy, but luckily bank was right on it and phoned me up within two hours of my cash withdrawal and asked if id made any charitable donations recently. Got cash back no problem, just a hassle having card cancelled and replaced. Can happen any where I just try to be more observant now, but it looked ok at time.

There are actually a multitude of ATM's around the tourist areas of Thailand. They are commonly European or American models sometimes also Australian or Japanese. They are very easily spotted as they tend to be accompanied by a 20 something Thai model. The base of the German version will often be attired with socks and sandals. The American version adapted this principle but swapped the sandals for trainers. They are convenient as the are known to dispense large amounts of cash without credit check. However, restrictions apply. For one, these ATM's have age and gender restrictions. Preferential treatment will be awarded to 18-25 year old females. :P

There are actually a multitude of ATM's around the tourist areas of Thailand. They are commonly European or American models sometimes also Australian or Japanese. They are very easily spotted as they tend to be accompanied by a 20 something Thai model. The base of the German version will often be attired with socks and sandals. The American version adapted this principle but swapped the sandals for trainers. They are convenient as the are known to dispense large amounts of cash without credit check. However, restrictions apply. For one, these ATM's have age and gender restrictions. Preferential treatment will be awarded to 18-25 year old females. :P

Love your humour.

I am an ATM, but NEVER give credit ratings to females. Beautiful and horny LB's have unconditional access to whatever is in my pockets (larger denominations are kept in the safe)

I'm new to Nana and will be staying at Dawin Hotel.Where would be the nearest money exchange?

Just go out of your hotel and turn onto Sukhumvit.Cross over to the side which has odd numbered sois(3,5,7,etc)and walk down towards soi 7.You'll see plenty of exchange booths.

I'm new to Nana and will be staying at Dawin Hotel.Where would be the nearest money exchange?

Soi 4 on left as walk down from Dawin to Nana. Or theres one right next to Morning Night Bar soi 4..or was it big dogs ?......If you turn right at sukhumvit road about 20 meters. I think is where the landmark hotel is there are a couple of ATM bothes that have closing doors so you can get your pockets sorted out before you head back into the crowds.

Thanks for all the advice now i have a question my bank said it would change out my money for the local currency(baht) and mail it to my house arriving in 2 days time so I thought about getting a $1000 worth before my upcoming trip so I'll have some of the coin of the realm before I arrive :unsure: Has anyone ever done this? as it seems like a good idea but have never seen this posted. They assure me that I will get the exchange rate of the day so it seems pretty legit. This service will cost me $15US so it seems like a bargain :unsure: once again I would love any input as I only have 2 weeks to go 'til I leave for LOS. :)

Thanks for all the advice now i have a question my bank said it would change out my money for the local currency(baht) and mail it to my house arriving in 2 days time so I thought about getting a $1000 worth before my upcoming trip so I'll have some of the coin of the realm before I arrive :unsure: Has anyone ever done this? as it seems like a good idea but have never seen this posted. They assure me that I will get the exchange rate of the day so it seems pretty legit. This service will cost me $15US so it seems like a bargain :unsure: once again I would love any input as I only have 2 weeks to go 'til I leave for LOS. :)

I haven't heard of that, but you if you're changing $1000 US for a 1.5% surcharge, I'd say that's a good deal.

Let us know how it works and what bank you're using.

Bumping this old thread up as there has been some discussion on currency rates, and Thai Bank accounts.

Mobile currency exchange on Soi 11

Jan 8 and 9 Soi 11 069.JPG

Jan 8 and 9 Soi 11 066.JPG

I'm going to be there in a week. Last time I was there I went to the money changers on a little soi off Soi arab, 5 or 7, I don't recall. That's where I found the best rate if I had new crisp E100 or US$100 bill.