jimmi_ripper

Air Ticket Searches and Stuff

I normally use Skyscanner for economy, but I came across this google search engine for airfares that i'd like to share.

Comes up with some decent Business Airfares from Europe, Euros 2.3k on Emirates.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

another interesting site in terms of visuals is

http://www.rome2rio.com

just thought I would share....

im no expert but i think a combination of sites should be checked when shopping for airline tickets . Origin,destination and which airline can all have an impact on which site offers the best deals. On the odd occasion the airlines own site will offer the best deals also. I typicaly use expedia,last minute, kayak,webjet plus double check the airline websites. Very imprtant to check everyday once you are hunting as they can change that often .Three months prior to flying i was checking on expedia , particular flight was $980 for about 20 days , then $770 for just 2 days ,then back up to $960. Two weeks later was $1260..So it pays to monitor if you want a deal.

im no expert but i think a combination of sites should be checked when shopping for airline tickets . Origin,destination and which airline can all have an impact on which site offers the best deals. On the odd occasion the airlines own site will offer the best deals also. I typicaly use expedia,last minute, kayak,webjet plus double check the airline websites. Very imprtant to check everyday once you are hunting as they can change that often .Three months prior to flying i was checking on expedia , particular flight was $980 for about 20 days , then $770 for just 2 days ,then back up to $960. Two weeks later was $1260..So it pays to monitor if you want a deal.

I agree. I have found that Kayak and Google miss plenty of flights that are shown when you check the company's website.

A USA (only) perspective:

From this side of the ponds, excepting consolidators. no, underscore no website will offer a better deal than your local travel agent. Likewise for an airline website (equals the agent, but service is minimal). It's an illusion that the generic websites (Travelocity, Kayak) etc.) can get you a better price. They scan the same web you do...and an agent does, and most add a fee. The advantage of an agent is gets you the same price, and if you have a good client-provider relationship, will fight over things such as cancellations, name changes, etc. And an agent can look at the price/seat map. I once booked tickets at AA because they said the low fare seats were limited. They were, six weeks in advance. Later they opened up a whole other even lower priced section, not visible earlier to web/Kayak searches and with zero bookings. Your agent can tell you: Look, they are jerking us around. It's your call, but I think they will drop the price.

Another airline website trick: they can easily track your computer info, recording you as a newcomer, a possible buyer or a hot prospect. Search a fare, come back the next day. They know you were there and "hotter," so they restrict your pricing options. Same as selling sunglasses on Sukhumvit, except with MIT-produced software! They ( Delta, Air France, United, Thai Airways, Lufthansa, etc.) are not there to "serve" us, they are there to make money.

My advice, a "million miler" on both United and Delta, Get an agent you trust, explore you options on the web(Kayak is great) then buy from an agent, or the airline (as a loyal customer) if you so choose. They are there to make money as well, but a long-term trusting relationship is the vehicle. Hassle index goes down significantly. Concentrate of the gals!

A USA (only) perspective:

From this side of the ponds, excepting consolidators. no, underscore no website will offer a better deal than your local travel agent. Likewise for an airline website (equals the agent, but service is minimal). It's an illusion that the generic websites (Travelocity, Kayak) etc.) can get you a better price. They scan the same web you do...and an agent does, and most add a fee. The advantage of an agent is gets you the same price, and if you have a good client-provider relationship, will fight over things such as cancellations, name changes, etc. And an agent can look at the price/seat map. I once booked tickets at AA because they said the low fare seats were limited. They were, six weeks in advance. Later they opened up a whole other even lower priced section, not visible earlier to web/Kayak searches and with zero bookings. Your agent can tell you: Look, they are jerking us around. It's your call, but I think they will drop the price.

Another airline website trick: they can easily track your computer info, recording you as a newcomer, a possible buyer or a hot prospect. Search a fare, come back the next day. They know you were there and "hotter," so they restrict your pricing options. Same as selling sunglasses on Sukhumvit, except with MIT-produced software! They ( Delta, Air France, United, Thai Airways, Lufthansa, etc.) are not there to "serve" us, they are there to make money.

My advice, a "million miler" on both United and Delta, Get an agent you trust, explore you options on the web(Kayak is great) then buy from an agent, or the airline (as a loyal customer) if you so choose. They are there to make money as well, but a long-term trusting relationship is the vehicle. Hassle index goes down significantly. Concentrate of the gals!

i have found in australia the agents are almost a waste of time if you want the best deal ..not their fault really because its not worth their while to look every single day like i do for months sometimes for one ticket thay make a few bucks on,,

And if the website thing was so ,,how come i often get the best deals off the same site three weeks after looking every single day and other time a week and others 2 months ,,,seems a tad random for mine ,,,but hey just my opinion

And if the website thing was so ,,how come i often get the best deals off the same site three weeks after looking every single day and other time a week and others 2 months ,,,seems a tad random for mine ,,,but hey just my opinion

Simple, it's not the site, it's the airline.

They release blocks of seats (all computerized releases) at prices intended to have that flight generate a positive cash flow, perhaps even a profit. Other blocks are held, pending demand.

If demand is soft closer to departure, then the next block is released at a lower price and is snapped up by those who are randomly there that day. If we happen to be at Kayak that day, we think Kayak was a good deal.

If demand is good, the next block goes at a higher price. The first block is then gobbled up, and hapless newcomers are left at the higher price.

A few sites show "price trends"...a great tool.

A few sites show "price trends"...a great tool.

Do you know which sites that shows "price trends"? Would be good to know. A workaround is to empty your browsers cache after searches. Then again, if u have static IP that would probably be recognized.

Do you know which sites that shows "price trends"? Would be good to know. A workaround is to empty your browsers cache after searches. Then again, if u have static IP that would probably be recognized.

Kayak does that

New app called skyscanner looks good

yeah it looks good, ok to use as a guide ,,but just be warned about some of the booking sites it brings up in its searches,,,shonky possibly ,,especially one named "bravo fly" ...just do a search about them if you like ,,cheers