scottie1954

Hacker attacked the forum?

A couple of days ago the forum was not reachable and a "shame on you" appeared on the blank page.

After access was possible again, the old pictures are not visible anymore and lots of avatars are not shown too. Pictures replaced by the ? In a square and avatars just replaced by the no avatar image.

Anyone can put some light on this?

Still no pics coming up. Sister site got hacked too, recently. Not good for this group's reputation. Idea: TTC return to LOS ... instead of reading about it!

Well, I hope some admin puts some light. Can't expect a reaction team working h24, but I am surprised nobody has set a notice or a message like "there is a problem we are working on it". That would be sufficient. there was also a couple of silly posts I have seen the titles of, last night, in the chat subforum.

well just remember ,,nothing is safe on the net ,,,i mean has anyone heard of wikileaks lol,,,,,,its the golden rule ,,if you dont want the world to know ,then dont put it on the net,,,,,,i realise this sucks but its the truth

well just remember ,,nothing is safe on the net

I am not owrried about the loss of my avatar just as I am not worried about the pictures I posted in public are taken. Anyone could have done that before with no concern.

The concern I have is the functionality of the forum, nothing else.

The two issues could be totally unrelated.

I have no idea what happened with the "Shame On You" front page bug, but that has obviously been sorted.

However, the avators and pics not showing is a common fault on ALL forums. It often happens when the server techy guys move stuff about to share the loading process on their servers. It can sometimes put shit out of sync and it needs a bit of tinkering by the geeks in the know.

Just an opinion, not saying the above are facts for the current situation.

The two issues could be totally unrelated.

I have no idea what happened with the "Shame On You" front page bug, but that has obviously been sorted.

However, the avators and pics not showing is a common fault on ALL forums. It often happens when the server techy guys move stuff about to share the loading process on their servers. It can sometimes put shit out of sync and it needs a bit of tinkering by the geeks in the know.

Just an opinion, not saying the above are facts for the current situation.

thanks for the opinion, adds some technical light to the matter.

the world can still carry on without avatars here LOL

Oh well, I reloaded my avatar. so that is done.. and that seems to work.

the rest is a major job and depends on the admin... good work, guys! and htanks for keeping this alive

Oh well, I reloaded my avatar. so that is done.. and that seems to work.

the rest is a major job and depends on the admin... good work, guys! and thanks for keeping this alive

You have done the work Scottie the administration has failed the forum miserably. We have thousands of old photos in limbo. Issues similar to this on LBP are resolved in hours. This has been a week and not even a word from the site owner. It's very frustrating for those who have made contributions in the past and for those involved with current trip reports.

We can only hope that they will give the forum the attention it deserves before we lose more members like we have in the past over similar issues. I thought we had some IT experts among LBP moderators who could resolve thiws but if not perhaps they need to invest a little money and bring some one in to clean up the mess.

there is another topic for this ,,same same :wacko:

They have been merged to this one. Thanks.

You have done the work Scottie the administration has failed the forum miserably. We have thousands of old photos in limbo. Issues similar to this on LBP are resolved in hours. This has been a week and not even a word from the site owner. It's very frustrating for those who have made contributions in the past and for those involved with current trip reports.

We can only hope that they will give the forum the attention it deserves before we lose more members like we have in the past over similar issues. I thought we had some IT experts among LBP moderators who could resolve thiws but if not perhaps they need to invest a little money and bring some one in to clean up the mess.

SM,

when it happened in the past, it was 100% a server issue.

Its when they move stuff about on routine maintenance of the server to balance the data load. the data is sometimes gets out of sync and one error can stop the flow of the viewing experience for the front end user.

It is only the server guys that sort this issue.

The trouble we had in the past was that the server guy was a knob-head who blamed the software and the software blamed the server guy.

Invision software is the best out there and run millions of forums. So when they changed the server guy....guess what.....the forum worked ! :D

As you say, these issues are quite corrosive to the loyalty of the BM and quite rightly so.

I have no concerns that the images will be missing. They are there.

You have done the work Scottie the administration has failed the forum miserably. We have thousands of old photos in limbo. I thought we had some IT experts among LBP moderators who could resolve thiws but if not perhaps they need to invest a little money and bring some one in to clean up the mess.

each one can reload his avatar, the last of the problems

You hit the wound in saying that there are tons of pictures in limbo

Frustrating for those who add them,

Over frustrating for those reading comments, specifically referred to images one cannot see...

Such a disaster.

I think it is a matter of admin rights to access the server rather than just being an IT experts having moderator rights (even if I don't know the rights of a moderator in that area)

Well done to have merged the other into this one, being also more appropriatelylocated.

Another sense of frustration is the silence from the "powers to be" who should/could do something.

Are they existing? Do they bother?

A clear word, a banner on the pages would also explain the temporary (hopefully) problem to newbies, another category of people who will not understand why pictures are missing.

I think it is a matter of admin rights to access the server rather than just being an IT experts having moderator rights (even if I don't know the rights of a moderator in that area)

Hey bud,

Im not sure I've got your sentence right or not.

But Mods and Admin take care of the forum software daily maintainance stuff. If there is a corruption in the software architecture, then Invision (software authors) need to fix it. If its a problem with the data on the forum, it is usually the server people who need to fix it. The server companies are normally completely independent of Invision, Mods and Admins. But Im not 100% sure about the new owners set-up with the server folks.

But accessing server data management is not something a Mod or Admin would even attempt to look at.

Cheers

LULT

Shit happens...I understand that.

But being left in the dark about what happened and if anything at all is being done about it really sucks. It's a piss poor way of running a site. I'm beginning to understand why many key BMs defected and now post only on the Pattaya site. The Bangkok section of the Pattaya site is more up to date than the BKK site.

:soapbox:witch%20hunt.gif

. I'm beginning to understand why many key BMs defected and now post only on the Pattaya site. The Bangkok section of the Pattaya site is more up to date than the BKK site.

:soapbox:witch%20hunt.gif

Well, i was always surprised about that and judged a useless or nonsense double. I even talked to Mardhi about the sense...

BKK has the same as Pattaya in LB offer and environment so it is full of sense to run two independent forums, each to each location.

Fact is that not many of us have the same status on that forum, so have to work hard another time to get the status and some of us have limited opportunities (which is not a matter of good will, but victims of circumstances)

Hey bud,

Im not sure I've got your sentence right or not.

But Mods and Admin take care of the forum software daily maintainance stuff.

But accessing server data management is not something a Mod or Admin would even attempt to look at.

Cheers

LULT

I thought so too, but when I read a few posts from the most reliable Mod here and expressing the same frustrations, concerns about the situation makes me understand some Mod (how man do we have actively acting as Mods) have very limited capacities or powers. A first officer can usually replace a sick captain. Here the first officer says, we have the captain who is sick, I don't know what to do now to bring the plane to ground, I can only keep the engines running....

Let's see if the admin team can fix the IT part of this as soon as possible. Nothing much can be done if information and pictures are lost though. This place started from somewhere, we can always rebuild what was lost together.

I'm sure none of us are going to stop LB mongering after this site crashed. B)

For now, it would be much appreciated if anyone with IT knowledge contribute to the restoration and also to raise the defences against future hack attempts.

Cheerios mates!