For those with a hankering for genuine Korean BBQ, I can highly recommend Arirang restaurant.

Was there last night with my lady and a fellow BM and his gal. I go there quite frequently, usually just my lady and I - she loves it.

It is located at the front of a "Little Korea" strip mall, right on Sukhumvit, between Sois 10 and 12, and directly across Sukhumvit from Soi 15.

It is the classic BBQ set up with a grill in the middle of the table. Pork cuts range from 300-350 baht, beef from 400-550 baht. one order of meat is enough for 2 people. With the order you get 6 free side dishes called collectivley "banchan" (refillable upon request). They include different types of kimchi, veggie, mini-pancakes, and so on. you also get sauces and various lettuces to wrap the meat in.

They have lots of the other classic dishes: soups, stews, noodles, pancakes and seafood dishes.

Usually we get a meat for BBQ-ing, plus a soup with rice to share for 200 baht, sometimes a pancake or noodle - so you are looking at between 500 and 1000 for 2 not including drinks.

Certainly a step up in price from street food, but I think it is great value for money for very authentic Korean.

A side note - for those BKK residents who like to experiment with home cooking, there are a couple of Korean mini-markets to the back of the "mall" on the left. They sell all sorts of Korean staples, as well as a big selection of homemade kimchi. I have whipped up a fair Korean meal in the past after a buying spree at one of these shops! (well fair enough for non-Koreans perhaps...)

My Favourite Korean BBQ is in Time Square Building just over the footbridge from Robinsons - its the first place you see as you cross the footbridge and while looking quite basic, IMHO the food is superb. I have eaten in some of the others in that square you mention but I always keep going back to the Times Square place for the last 10 years.

I really like Korean BBQ or Yakiniku as it is called in Japan, anyway are all or most restaurants ladyboy friendly if I manage to find one to take to dinner? Sorry if this is a silly question...

Thanks Bangui,

I never made it to a Korean BBQ but did take a couple of Ladyboys to the Japanese place on soi 4 which was good fun and they seemed to really appreciate it, so might check out a few other places next time.

agreed, Arirang its a great place to enjoy some Korean BBQ.

entrance.jpg

the little Korea Town area at Times Square has a few good places, i also like the ones that offer soup instead of grill.

there is also a small shop in the back area where you can buy Korean groceries.

another good spot, a bit more upscale and with private rooms, would be the one in Pathumwan Princess Hotel (adjacent to MBK) Kongju .

i spent 10 days in Seoul a few years back and i developed a real appetite for Korean Cuisine. IMO it ranks along side of JP and TH for freshness and flavors.