Sign in to follow this  
bangui

Airport Train - Plane to Apartment - 50 minutes, 85 baht

I broke my time record last night getting from the plane to my apartment using the airport train. It took spot-on 50 minutes from stepping out of the plane to walking into my apartment at the top end of Sukhumivit Soi 11 (past Q bar) - 6:25pm to 7:15pm, Friday night.

Some factors in my favor:

- I had a complimentary upgrade (full flight), and was one of the first off the plane;

- surprisingly, no line at all at immigration;

- had Baht with me, so no need for an ATM detour;

- the airport train local line left 2 minutes after I arrived on the platform (the express line would have been a 27 min wait);

- I was only carrying a computer bag, no check-in or roller bags (important for taking a moto instead of a taxi after arriving at Makkasan Station).

I am becoming convinced the train is the way to go. There is a beneficial cost element of course, but also there really isn't much time difference from an airport car/taxi. Even at times when there is absolutely zero traffic I might have been able to make the door to door trip in 40 min at best.

The directions:

- The airport train leaves from B1 at the airport. Upon exiting customs go right and take the escalators down at the middle of the arrival hall to B1. Heading toward the trains the express train leaves to the left, the local line to the right. The express train is 100 baht, and only leaves on the hour and half hour. There is a tv screen above the entrance advising the time to the next departure. Unless you arrive within say 5 minutes of the express leaving, the local line is the better option (and may be the better option in any case as it is only 5-10 minutes longer ride). There are ticket machines that tae cash - 35 baht for the ticket - keep a couple 20 bills in your bag from the previous trip.

-When you arrive at Makkasan Station, follow the exit signs for the MRT (Petchaburi Sation). Likely most of the crowd is headed for this exit as well. Go down several escalators and you exit at street level. At this exit, there is a 12 person golf cart waiting to drive the first 12 arrivals the several hundred yards from the exit to across the street from the MRT station entrance. If it’s not there it is a short walk in any case walk.

-The MRT station is across a street, walking away from Makkasan. You will see the above ground entrance with the MRT signage. You want to head to this entrance, but then keep walking straight past it to the next cross walk. What you are doing is crossing Petchaburi Road where it intersects with Asok Road. There will be a second MRT entrance just in front of you after crossing Petchaburi. There will be moto drivers waiting on this corner. The price to Nana area will be 50 baht. Just tell them Sukhumvit Soi Sam (three) or See (four), or wherever you are going. I find it easiest just to tell a moto driver the street and then point him to where to go once close to a destination.

-The trip from this corner to Nana is very simple. You will shoot down Petchaburi and then take a left on Nana Nuea (Sukhumvit Soi 3) and that will take you straight to Soi 4.

-See the Google Map link below. You will see Makkasn Station at the top and the 3 entrances to the MRT. You want to get the Moto on the lower left corner of Petchburi/Asok (southwest corner I believe).

Caveats:

-If you have more baggage than a computer bag and/or backpack or small roller bag, you’ll have to flag a taxi on Petchaburi as opposed to taking a moto. I haven’t taken a taxi from here, but am sure you can flag one down within a reasonable timeframe.

-This route is best if you are staying in the Nana and surrounding Sukhumvit area. If you are farther away, say at Silom/Sathorn or elsewhere it is not as convenient, although you could still flag taxi from Petchaburi and take that to wherever you are going.

Hey Bangui

My best time beats you by 8 mins in Taxi .. - when lines are good (same , same)

how much does train cost..?? Do you seriously do this to save Bt120 (one drink at Nana.)

I have to admitt I dont get why anyone would go through the drama of lining up to catch a train, after sitting (IE from Aus ) for 9 hrs in a plane, All I want to do is sit in a Bar watching LBs dance for me.

I always leg it up to Arrivals ,Get new Taxi with non pushy driver and full tank , take tollway and arrive at my loom max 18-22 mins later for Bt 300

Am I missing something here?

Regards DR D

Dr D,

Cost is not the key factor for me regarding the train option, although at 85 baht (35 for train and 50 for moto) you are saving 215 baht over the 300 baht all in tax option. Or almost two beers, lol.

I included the costs for information purposes and because I know some board members try to be budget conscious when planning for a trip. It’s similar to the move from the 1100 baht airport “limo” to the 300 baht arrivals taxi option, albeit that is a greater savings.

The key for me is the knowledge that I have the option of a guaranteed 50-60 minute trip from stepping off the plane to opening my apartment door. My very best time using a car is 40 minutes plus and it is normally the same time as the train.

I travel to Bangkok from Hong Kong on average twice a month and have occasionally been in some terrible traffic snarls on the way in from the airport. Arriving at rush hour times, it is a throw of the dice on how the traffic will be towards the end of the expressway and down the exit ramp to Sukhumvit. Heavy traffic always gets me irritated - I have even once gotten out of a taxi half way down the exit ramped and huffed it on foot to Sukhumvit. And I have a story of an overturned flat bed truck in the middle of the expressway I could tell you about, that was a 90 minute delay!

Depending on the time of day you land, you may be sitting at a bar watching LBs dance for you more quickly taking the train.

I am also very comfortable with airport trains – don’t find them a hassle. Being Hong Kong based, which has a world leading airport train set up, I take the train every departure and arrival.

On the flip side, I take a taxi to the airport when leaving. I’ve never had any traffic problems on the way to the airport and my apartment to expressway is never more than 5 minutes.

One other caveat on the train option – if it is raining the moto ride will not be pleasant!

In any case, it’s always good to have options.

This past friday, I had a heavy roller bag with me, so went the regular taxi route, payment choice B, as there was no line at the taxi rank.

It was rush hour so took me almost 90 minutes from gate to door. Thankfully, immigration line was nil, and i did not check in my bag.

Got held up at the Rama 9 exit and at the Sukhumvit exit.

All in all not bad, although I had one of the few woman taxi drivers, with a butch hair cut and wieghing about 230 lbs. And she drove like a maniac!

My alphabetic system for transport from the airport.

A: Airport taxi = 1100 baht

B: Regular taxi = 50 baht airport fee + Taxi meter + tolls (70 baht), or about 400 baht

C: Arrivals area taxi = about 300 baht

D: Train = with moto after getting to Makasan station, about 85 baht.

The airport express in HKG is superb - I always used it probably as frequently as you are doing now, however The Thai service is not a touch on it. When building something from scratch (as they did) all this should be one one level or easy to navigate with luggage. however its not. What would grate me the most is the delays between trains - 30 minute waits is lunacy and the cost of a taxi is quite low in relative terms (unlike HKG where the taxi is considerably more expensive and takes much longer). Actually getting a cab once you arrive and have struggled with your luggage is not easy in that area.

However I can well understand you chooisng this option based on time you arrive and also the day of the week - its the most problematic day and time to be on the expressways. But for anyone with luggage, I'd say don't even consider it especially if you are not familiar with how to get around the city.

banqui,

For the benefit of one who has only been to BKK twice before, would you please explain the difference between the three taxis? Especially in terms of where one finds each one.

banqui,

For the benefit of one who has only been to BKK twice before, would you please explain the difference between the three taxis? Especially in terms of where one finds each one.

Airport taxi: you book them on arrival at baggage carousels. It is a kind of "chauffeured drive", or "limousine", but mind you, no fancy car.

Regular taxi: at arrival follow the signs for taxi, one level below, cue up at 2-3 counters where you state your destination. The girl will write it down on a numbered form. She keeps one slip with the taxi number, you get he other to keep for any later need or claim. Taxi driver will take you to his car and remind him the meter (safe exercise doe your fare), state whether you want to take motorway (25+45b rolls, total of 70 if you go to sukhumvit, in general). Toll money in cash to the driver once he approaches the toll gates. A 50b. airport fee will be added to the fare. This fee is an airport one, that doesn't go to the airport! Goes to the system handling the taxis, ie the girls at the counter etc. it has been defined by an act, but it doesn't seem compulsory (gotta love Thailand for this "legal" contradictions).

Taxi at departure level 4.

Go up and head to where the taxis drop departing customers. Approach one, or they will approach you. Usually they try to get 4/500 or more, but insist on taxi meter plus motorway. Most will accept it. If not move to the next. Police is there to discourage the practice, but lots happens in front of their eyes. Very ten minutes or so they show off they clean the area from this practice. Occasionally they might stop and fine a drive rehoused just picked up a customer.

No 50 baht fee, hence, 50 baht cheaper then at departures. Sometime you can negotiate a better rate than meter, but depends on how many passengers are there.

Sometime it is variable as one quest at arrival.

Sometime not worth the hassle, especially for 50 baht!

I broke my time record last night getting from the plane to my apartment using the airport train. It took spot-on 50 minutes from stepping out of the plane to walking into my apartment at the top end of Sukhumivit Soi 11 (past Q bar) - 6:25pm to 7:15pm, Friday night.

@bangui : That is damm fast, for BKK.

@those of us who not so lucky to live in BKK and just come on holiday a few days a year.

Of course you can take the cap and considering what you just spend on the flight, it does not make a dent in your budget. However I have found the train to be a good alternative, given that you have only light luggage (not more than a trolley). Also you have to good view from the train.

One additional tip from my side. If you are not in a hurry, change at Phaya Thai and take the BTS back to Sukhumivit, it's easier to change there with luggage.

made it to my hotel at 66 baht. 35 baht city railway, took a one stop MRT from Petchaburi to Sukhumvit for 16 baht, then cross over to Asoke BTS to Nana for 15 Baht .

(I did buy a Rabbit card for the BTS. Card cost 200 Baht, 50 is for the deposit, 50 for the card, 100 for the monetary value) spend another half an hour to 45 mins. Walking to my hotel actually took another 20 mins as I took a wrong turn.

Was actually thinking take the moto, but I later balked when seeing the traffic, not the kindest in the world. Stuck in the hotel room for quite a while as

i discovered the safe was locked I need to call the reception twice to get the manager to come up.

Yes im warming more and more to the airport train as they gradually tweak the accessability at the city end ,,,have to say its a lot more comfortable and scenic journey,,,,unfortunately its not 24/7 so havnt used it on the inward journey as have been landing after midnight ,,,,upcoming trip i plan to be on evening flight so will definately be utilizing the train :)