Siam Man

Which online travel agency do you use for hotels in Thailand

I've recently been doing a lot of online Hotel comparisons. Quite a few out there now so we can become our own travel agent. Many are actually owned by another. Prices are usually in the same range although I found some differences. I've found this site and others to be cheaper than the individual Hotel websites.

I read somewhere on this forum about Agoda. (agoda.com) I think it was TT or LULT who mentioned it. I gave it a go and found it easy to navigate and read. They have a rewards points and cash back scheme, so I'm earning every booking. Nice little bonus we'll see how that goes when it's time to cash in.

I also like their review component where you can read comments from other guests. Some are quite entertaining especially the comments on Nana hotels. Each hotel listed has an overall 1-10 rating based on these reviews. You can also book it in just about any currency.

It's another great tool, that I can cross reference with reviews and information here. I've tried others, but like the fact they are just hotels and not always trying to package you with flights, insurance, and rental cars.

TT and I would seriously push Tim at

http://otelrooms.com/

BUT, ALSO check his sister site at

http://www.thaihoteldiscounts.com/

As there is sometimes a slight difference in price.

Either way, he'll give you the Agoda rewards points. Over and above, if you tell him you are a Pattaya LB.com or BKK LB.net member, he'll refund you 5% back after your stay if you have a Thai bank account (which regular travellers to LOS should consider)

He is a farang living in Bangkok and knows EXACTLY the service and standard we expect when staying at hotels. Me and TT have used him loads of times and I can honestly say, for service and more often than not, price, he is by far the one I would choose everytime. Because he is based there, if there is a problem, you can call him on his cell phone and any issue will be sorted tout de suite.

WE DO NOT HAVE ANY FINANCIAL AFFILIATION WITH TIM. This is purely down to personal experience.

Give him a shot. You won't be disappointed.

I have used Agoda several times and like it for many of the same reasons Slam man stated. I have also looked at Tims site and the comparisons I was doing showed little difference but not always the case so worth checking out as well. Agoda is also great for the map feature. You can look at any hotel and bring up the map and navigate around the area you want to stay in which will show all the hotels they deal with also states prices so if you see one you like you can click on it to get the details instead of going through the entire list and possibly missing one or two in the area you want.

TT and I would seriously push Tim at

http://otelrooms.com/

BUT, ALSO check his sister site at

http://www.thaihoteldiscounts.com/

As there is sometimes a slight difference in price.

Either way, he'll give you the Agoda rewards points. Over and above, if you tell him you are a Pattaya LB.com or BKK LB.net member, he'll refund you 5% back after your stay if you have a Thai bank account (which regular travellers to LOS should consider)

He is a farang living in Bangkok and knows EXACTLY the service and standard we expect when staying at hotels. Me and TT have used him loads of times and I can honestly say, for service and more often than not, price, he is by far the one I would choose everytime. Because he is based there, if there is a problem, you can call him on his cell phone and any issue will be sorted tout de suite.

WE DO NOT HAVE ANY FINANCIAL AFFILIATION WITH TIM. This is purely down to personal experience.

Give him a shot. You won't be disappointed.

Great info LULT. They have actually partnered with Agoda. So the way I understand it they give the same benefits as Agoda plus the %5 if you have Thai Bank Account. Definitely worth a try.

Great info LULT. They have actually partnered with Agoda. So the way I understand it they give the same benefits as Agoda plus the %5 if you have Thai Bank Account. Definitely worth a try.

You've got it....plus a Thai cell phone to call with a Farang-with-influence who lives locally and can sort shit out if the hotel is pissing you about for any reason.

I've used Agoda many times and the rewards points are nice. It allows you to try different hotels while your reward points can be used with any hotel you book. Often times I'll search agoda for a hotel and then go to that particular hotel's website and get the same room for a bit cheaper price, so you actually pay a little more on agoda but the reward points make up for it. It appears the deals you find on agoda are the same deals you'll find on that particular hotel's website minus a small surcharge. Booking a room now for mid-february so I'll give Tim a try this time.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the mention. I thought it may be useful to say something here. Yes my sites are partnered with Agoda. We can do the 5% transfered to a Thai bank account upon check out of the hotel. As we only get paid after the guest has checked out. For this you simply book via www.thaihoteldiscounts.com or www.otelrooms.com and send me the voucher to support@thaihoteldiscounts.com together with your Thai bank account info.

Also, for those who prefer 5% off at the time of booking. We are now able to give this. You need to simply sign up at my forum, I will approve your account. Then as a member, you will have access to the members area and book via the 5% off link. Works for Worldwide hotels. I am giving this 5% off myself and has nothing to do with Agoda.

Tim

Looks like you are going to be difficult to beat mate.

I wish you every success with this initiative of 5% off over and above the Agoda points.

To the members reading, I've booked loads of times with Tim and its 10 out of 10 every time.

Again, I have no affiliation with his company other than personal experience.

Im using his company again for my next trip in April.

Check out booking.com

You can book and don't have to pay until you arrive. Always free cancellation until about 2-7 days in advance. I have also used sawasdee.com but you have to pay in advance with this one as well as Agoda. I make 4-6 trips a year to LOS and booking.com always treats me right.

Check out booking.com

You can book and don't have to pay until you arrive. Always free cancellation until about 2-7 days in advance. I have also used sawasdee.com but you have to pay in advance with this one as well as Agoda. I make 4-6 trips a year to LOS and booking.com always treats me right.

HI Surfcat,

Booking.com and Agoda are part of the same company( Priceline) and are going after 2 different types of customer. Booking.com offers no cancellation fees on some of their hotels. However those with limited rooms and the mostly the cheapest room, cannot be cancelled. It is interesting to see how similar both sites are now and offer the same features.

Booking.com

No need to pay upfront( you pay at the hotel. Useful if you prefer this. Downside is that you do not know the exchange rate they will use till you get to the hotel.

They have probably have the best cancellation policy of any online site.

They do not offer a points system. For 1 trip per year customers , probably fine.

Agoda.com

Interesting to see that many hotels have identical prices on both Booking.com and Agoda.com.

Customers must prepay in full at the time of booking. Suits some people, while others prefer to pat at check in.

Has a points system, like your credit card. 30 days after departure your accumulate points that can be redeemed at any hotel on the website. Useful for frequent travellers.

Agoda have now relaxed many cancellation policies on many hotels.

Tim

how easy and how much to open a thai bank account ???

Usually pretty easy. Sometimes banks get cranky, but one can just go to the next bank down the street.

No charge to open an account, but most banks charge for their ATM cards -- arond 150 THB or so.

Check out booking.comYou can book and don't have to pay until you arrive. Always free cancellation until about 2-7 days in advance. I have also used sawasdee.com but you have to pay in advance with this one as well as Agoda. I make 4-6 trips a year to LOS and booking.com always treats me right.

I use booking.com too for the majority of my over 120 nights traveling. Rates are competitive, the free cancellation works fine and sometime up to the arrival day, you cant beat that.

I wanted an early check in at majestic grande (I land 5.30am) and contacted them. Quickly an answer came saying they can't commit to early check in as it is up to the hotel and the hotel would contact me. N more than two hours later the hotel contacted me and promised to look after my request if feasible at arrival time (let's hope somebody does a late check out the day before). Very happy in general. All bookings are retrievable and visible online, go in your calendar if you wish and the mobile app (for iPad) is similarly efficient. All reviews are online and also the (reasonable) bad ones.

Tim @ Otelrooms.com is working his magic again for me.

I swear this guy is the best service / product on the net for Thailand.

For example....

I sent a request to him asking about hotels.

He came back with prices that were great.

I gave him my preference on the deal to what he had given.

Several days later, he said he had been doing more checking for me and has found even better deals for me at the places I was looking for.

Second to none. Consistently and over several years using his company.

Can't go wrong guys.

Thats great to hear LULT. I just booked several room nights through one of his sites. (he has a few) If you join this (Tim's) forum http://www.thaihoteldiscounts.com/forum/index.php you can get an additional 5% discount at time of booking. Our forum room adviser (One true Saxon) told me about that forum and shortly after I posted about looking at Dawin or Heaven@4 he sent me P.M. asking me my dates and he would try to find a better deal. He did through one of his other sites which would have saved me about 300 baht a night.

The forum isn't that big, so he can give attention to any new posters asking about rooms. He has a thread called "Let Tim find you the best rate." I can't see me using anyone else going forward.

Note: You have to join that forum to get the link to the booking sites to get the 5% discount. However he may be able to get you an even better rate.

Thanks SM

DIdn't know about the forum part of his site.

Will defo add content to help him out.

Totally agree with you on the rates. Its like getting mates-rates everytime with a genuinely great service.

I had a problem with my Amari hotel last year (Hotels fault, not Tim's), but he could not have been more pro-active and helpful to get EVERYTHING sorted.

I have been booking with Agoda all this time but guess I should have a look at Tim's site then.

In the past I was using Agoda too. Tim has a few sites including Agoda, but through his forum link you get an additional 5% off Agoda. He has other sites and he will even look to beat a price that you sourced from his sites. For example I had a quote for the Darwin from his Agoda site. I gave him my dates and he was able to beat his Agoda through his Bangkok friendly hotels site by 200 baht a night. He also has a pulse on special deals.

well my advice is dont take anyones advice on this subject as its a bit like the weather ,,,can change every day and any time of day .. this morning wotif may have a huge special ,,tomorrow morning its agoda ,,,if you are prepared to shop its not really that hard to make savings ...

I have used both Agoda and Hotels.com, in combination with TripAdvisor.com (for customer feedback).

Originally, I used Agoda most often. Now, I use Hotels.com more frequently because its reward program gives me a free night after every 10 nights of reservations. Since I am U.S. based and sometimes travel for business purposes, this allows me to earn rewards while on business, then cash them in when on pleasure. The value of the reward is based on the average rate paid over the 10 reservations.

Usually there is no problem with cancellations not made at the 11th hour, but that varies by hotel.

Edited by IronDragon7

HI Surfcat,

Booking.com and Agoda are part of the same company( Priceline) and are going after 2 different types of customer. Booking.com offers no cancellation fees on some of their hotels. However those with limited rooms and the mostly the cheapest room, cannot be cancelled. It is interesting to see how similar both sites are now and offer the same features.

Booking.com

No need to pay upfront( you pay at the hotel. Useful if you prefer this. Downside is that you do not know the exchange rate they will use till you get to the hotel.

They have probably have the best cancellation policy of any online site.

They do not offer a points system. For 1 trip per year customers , probably fine.

Agoda.com

Interesting to see that many hotels have identical prices on both Booking.com and Agoda.com.

Customers must prepay in full at the time of booking. Suits some people, while others prefer to pat at check in.

Has a points system, like your credit card. 30 days after departure your accumulate points that can be redeemed at any hotel on the website. Useful for frequent travellers.

Agoda have now relaxed many cancellation policies on many hotels.

Tim

Anyone no what happened to this site or Tim? When I went to it today it said account suspended?

Just seen it myself. Both links not working and niether is the forum

Yea, all three links listed on this thread give same message. Had it bookmarked and went to book some rooms and gave that message, so I looked here. I guess I'll have to look through my old Agoda account or check out some of these others that BM's have listed.