mardhi

Breakfast in soi 4

In all the years I have lived here - I have always found BKK to be sadly lacking (at least compared to Pattaya) in the provision of a semi decent breakfast at a reasonable price.

However I think I have found a suitable option and it hits the buttons for value, quantity and selection.

The BUS STOP is a institution known to many for the hello girls wearing Singapore Airlines uniforms. They also serve a very reasonable breakfast. Its 115b and includes tea/coffee and a typically watery glass of ice with a splash of orange squash. The juice is about the worst thing but I never even drink it. The coffee is fresh and good.

The "American breakfast" set comprises 2 eggs, 2 rashers streaky bacon, miniture Pork Hot dog/sausage, Hash brown, Grilled Tomato & Baked beans along with 2 slices of wholemeal toast.

Its now my default breakfast venue of choice - its nothing fancy, its not expensive and service is fast and food well prepared. Compared to other places on Soi 4 its about the best I have found.

Cheers

Mardhi

A second recommendation if you are over by Soi 11 is the Old German Beer House about half way down on the left.

99 Baht for two eggs, german hash browns, 2 bacon, toast, a bowl of cornflakes, coffee and that terrible orange "juice" :)

Also called the "American" breakfast and served with speed.

I think the Australian bar (about 30 meters further on) also does a breaky, but I haven't sampled yet.

No No No.

This can not be referred to as a breakfast!!!!!!!

Actually it is, The Bus Stop, in cost and quality one of the better in Soi 4 . But that aint saying much. The whole Soi is lacking in decent food Western to Issan. Still think the pub with the bull outside left as exit soi past McDonalds does best food in area.

For a good breakfast, but not a cheapy, set you up all day type go to Black Swan, Asoke BTS. Cant remember price. But is good.

Once a trip, when I'm dying for a really good breakfast, I swallow hard and cough up the money for the buffet at the JW Marriott. Eggs cooked any style imaginable, bacon that actually tastes like something other than grease, fruit of every variety, oatmeal...pretty much whatever you'd like. Cost is about 4-5X what you'd pay at the Bus Stop, but it 5-10X better.

In all the years I have lived here - I have always found BKK to be sadly lacking (at least compared to Pattaya) in the provision of a semi decent breakfast at a reasonable price.

However I think I have found a suitable option and it hits the buttons for value, quantity and selection.

The BUSSTOP is a institution known to many for the hello girls wearing Singapore Airlines uniforms. They also serve a very reasonable breakfast. Its 115b and includes tea/coffee and a typically watery glass of ice with a splash of orange squash. The juice is about the worst thing but I never even drink it. The coffee is fresh and good.

The "American breakfast" set comprises 2 eggs, 2 rashers streaky bacon, miniture Pork Hot dog/sausage, Hash brown, Grilled Tomato & Baked beans along with 2 slices of wholemeal toast.

Its now my default breakfast venue of choice - its nothing fancy, its not expensive and service is fast and food well prepared. Compared to other places on Soi 4 its about the best I have found.

Cheers

Mardhi

I'll second Budstop as a viable option. I didn't realise it was the Busstop I went to every day last trip for brekkie. Simple quick and cheap. The O.J. is lame as you say, but the nice thing for me is that they substitute Ice Tea "brewed" for coffee as I don't drink coffee. I had a pretty ordinary brekkie at hotel I'm staying as I was up early enough, but project I'll be heading to the Bustop in the coming days.

When I walked by it today I noticed the name Bustop and recalled this thread.

bkk 2012 1 140.JPG

I went this morning. 115 baht for 2 eggs, toast 2 pieces of bacon, a lil sausage, tomatoes, beans, coffee and orange drink. I wouldn't call that juice. Substituted my coffee for Ice tea and tried to deal the sausage for another piece of bacon but didn't happen. Quick service and a decent vantage point for Soi 4 people watching.

BKK 2012 Aom and Gie 041.JPG

BKK 2012 Aom and Gie 042.JPG

Edited by Slam Man

That japanese place next to heidelberg, opposite busstop is pretty good by the way.

I was looking at that today while eating my brekkie and wondered if anyone had tried it.

I imagine its a bit pricey like most Japanese places.

Always looks empty to me...Perhaps its picked up....For me it was the wrong location for a Japanese restaurant...not just in terms of 'The Japanese' because theres a hugh indigenous demand for such food in Bangkok...But in Soi 4 ?? and at Soi 4 prices. Same as that construction within Rajah hotel car park.....always looks empty to me.

did busstop one night on my first trip and if i ever get up early enough for breakfast I will give it a try but I hope they have something besides that full english as I couldn't stomach that kind of stuff while in Scotland a few years back

Always looks empty to me...Perhaps its picked up....For me it was the wrong location for a Japanese restaurant...not just in terms of 'The Japanese' because theres a hugh indigenous demand for such food in Bangkok...But in Soi 4 ?? and at Soi 4 prices. Same as that construction within Rajah hotel car park.....always looks empty to me.

Yes, it almost looks like it's closed when I looked across the Soi. No one going in or coming out. Maybe those Japanese customers from Obsessions go there and tip big to keep them afloat. :D

did busstop one night on my first trip and if i ever get up early enough for breakfast I will give it a try but I hope they have something besides that full english as I couldn't stomach that kind of stuff while in Scotland a few years back

I think they serve brekkie all the time. I have had it as late as 2 or 3 P.M.

I tried the Foodland American breakfast special. It's not as much tuck, but cheaper. 2 eggs, 1 skimpy piece of bacon or little sausage, smaller toast, choice of pineapple or orange juice, and choice of coffee or tea. It's 51 baht from 6:30 to 9:30 and 63 after. I like Busstops better. You get more and they made me an ice tea in place of the hot tea without a problem. I asked for this at Foodland and they looked at me funny so I didn't persist.

bkk 2012 Pem pai 077.JPG

Bus stop seem to have slightly changed their breakfast - nothing dramatic but the tiny sausage is now even smaller and the hash brown is about 3 times larger. Still suits me down to the ground as I am past the days of cholesteral loading breakfasts and this hits all the right buttons for me - not too big but not too small. Still got the rubbish splash of juice in a glass of ice but that is typical everywhere.

I cant think of anything worse than having "Streaky" Bacon and them awful plastic tasting "Hotdog" sausages on a Breakfast.

I love the the traditional "English" style and have eaten it often in the Pub just past the Petrol station at the top of Soi 4, its excellent imho

My minds gone a "blank", I think the name of it begins with "B" lol

One with the "Bull" outside........

Punted it before...Asoke.."Black Swan,"....not cheap but will fill you up..... Can't believe the Buss Stop sausage could get any smaller.

Edited by Two Shots

One with the "Bull" outside........

Punted it before...Asoke.."Black Swan,"....not cheap but will fill you up..... Can't believe the Buss Stop sausage could get any smaller.

I was looking at it last week and thought to myself - get two breakfasts and play marbles with the sausage balls :blink: :blink:

But I agree with you totally - its a waste of time and one bite and its gone. Bully's does a good breakfast as does the pub in Soi 8. I have never had Breakfast at the black swan as I cannot be arsed to walk that far but a few guys I know who live in BKK swear by it for the general pub grub being up at the top of food chain.

Was gonna 2nd Foodland. I never make it early enough for the special, but b63 is still the best deal around. You have to order the sausage, as the bacon is insufficient. The sausage is not the greatest, but it's large. Also get a bit more I think if you order scrambled egss, but I always get em fried. With the coffe and toast, it fills me up, but I'm not a huge person, either

and went native with my diet long ago. Meaning I'm used to smaller meals now and don't overeat much.

Have to disagree with the Japanese across from Bus Stop. Ate there once and was unimpressed. Not even on par with Fuji and the chain sushi places. Bus Stop itself is good for steak and eggs (b135 I think) and a decent cheeseburger for b80. As good as the Nana Burger stand.

Edited by Bangcock

The breakfast special at Bustop is 115 baht, so I think the steak and eggs is higher than 135 or I would have done that deal. Thinking more like 160.

Foodlands brekkie deal was cheaper but smaller portion, and think you have to choose between the meats. Here are two of there other specials they had in late February.

bkk 2012 Pem pai 082.JPG

Chalkboard today says steak and eggs b145. Been a while since I've had it, guess it went up 10 baht. Comes with tea or coffee as I recall.

Not the greatest steak, but good enough. Hard to find good beef in Thailand.

I had an enjoyable breakfast at Hanrahans Pub on Soi 4. It was bigger than the one at Bus Stop and I think it went for 160 Baht, though I think there was a time limit on it for that price. You got 2 eggs, a real sausage, beans, a fried tomato, a big slice of toast, and coffee. I usually like a big breakfast (beer fog not withstanding) so it hit the spot for me. The owner of the Big Mango Pub also suggested trying Chequers' The Full Monty but I just ran out of days, so I will give it a try next time.

In Soi 11, I normally use the Cafe in the Federal Hotel (Next to Prime 11 and Aloft, same side), always a crowd in there in the morning, I cant remember the price, but it is around the 100 baht mark for an American breakfast.