Siam Man

Public Areas with Free Wifi

Most Mcdonalds across the globe offer free wifi to customers. This is great except for the fact that most adult sites including forums are blocked/filtered. An apology page comes up saying they cannot display the page at this time. I had tried this on two other forums but happy to say I 'm posting this from a McDonalds in Australia. Not sure what the case is in other countries.

You can usually find a corner spot that offers some privacy and an outlet and your good to go as long as you can avoid eating their food.

I've alo known air lounges to have filters as well. I was in Auckland Airport a week ago and was able to get 15 minutes free internet and then you had to pay $10 NZD for an hour. A better rate than many hotels.

Starbucks also offers free wifi although I haven't tested these out. I don't think their overpriced coffees ever took off here in Oz. Anyone else know some good hot spots?

Thanks for this Slam man,

In the UK, when you hit the Wifi Hotspots in McDonalds and Starbucks, when you try to you them, they require you to register with a company called 'Cloud'. I couldn't be arsed as I didn't know enough about them and how it works.

How much detail do you have to give to these companies to be able to use their wifi?

Cheers

LULT

Interesting. i would be hesitant to give them my details as well. Can you give them bogus details to get through?

I wonder how much this varies with McD's from country to country. It seems like I heard forum users logging on in LOS without problems. Its stange how some filtes cacth some forums or sites and not others. We need some resident IT to clue us in how this all works and if there are ways to get around or through these filters. In Oz I'm sweet at McDonalds but it just takes so long.

Good info KWL. Good to be able to have free access when away. Generally you can count on 1 baht per minute in the city. You gets cheaper as go further out.

SM,

There have been plenty of unsecured WiFi Hotspots around Lowewr Suk Rama I and Silom for years, then there are plenty of bars that advertise free WiFi where one has to buy a drink in order to get a password to gain access and there are others that have total unlimitied.

It was only 4 years ago when O2 (HTC) WiFI enabled cell phones became realisticly priced in the handset market that I began to sniff out WiFi whilst on walkabouts but since EDGE has become more widespread / cheaper and 3G is being established in certain areas I am getting less interested in WiFi.

I can go anywhere in Thailand now tether my 3G iPhone to my lightweight Asus Eeepc Netbook and be online 24/7 for lesss than 1200 THB / Month. But as I said not an option to most visitors so FREE Hotspots where one can get online from ones own Netty / Lappy is a good second option. Personaly I reccomend Molly Mallones on Soi Convent (Silom Area) one of the few bars that not only allows smoking of Ciggies but also Cigars upstairs, great place to while away an afternoon with a beer and western food whilst online if that is ones wish ... I set up and encrypted their network for them, the managers both ex and current are good friends of mine.

More great info. Point awarded. Very valuable stuff for us guys who can't be without net.

I've heard some hotels are charges a pretty big premium for WiFi (600 baht for 24 hrs) I guess the larger hotels know they can get this from the business travelling instead of throwing it in as a perk like others do.

SM,

Glad to share. The point of any forum is to exchange information not only about the subject which is the primary focus of our shared interest, but also the other factors that can make a visitors trip easier / more comfortable.

I will never start a topic voicing my opinion but about x y or z but I am more than willing to add my 2 cents worth to someone elses thread that I feel I can add to. For instance I would never comment on Hotel threads because I dont use them, except for short time hotels I utilise for 3-4 hours at a time, but if someone was to ask where to get best English Breakfast in BKK I have my own personal favourites.

Did Jenny take it with her?

I recall seeing her on a notebook in the bar when the uniforms just came out. I can't see bringing a PC to any bar.

I am a sad geek always have my lightweigh netbook with me, dont even notice it in the small backpack I carry. Since I am currently living 8 weeks at a time on a construction camp in the middle of the desert I like to be out and about when I am back in BKK and tend to be out of the house by 10 AM each morning and just go out and about and see what happens.

One of the perks of this job is the 5 x 19 paid Days home in Thailand every year with Biz Class flights paid but the downside is that, due to my position at work, I am expected to spend an hour or so / day checking and replying to work emails and also answer important work related calls, the joys of project managment.

I find it more relaxing to be out and about doing my own thing and if I do get a work related call (more often than not I get SMS advising of email) I will sit in a bar with a beer fire up the netty and log onto works server to find the answer to the problem. Conversley if out with mates on an afternoon session I can still be with them having the Craik and just fire it up at the same time, no need to rush home. (Net Cafes dont have software I require to log on remotely)

When away from site I only get paid base salary, no overseas upift or overtime pay but its still worth my while. I bet many Board Members would jump at the deal of having a lightweight netbook and a mobi phone with them to basicaly do less than 5 hours work / week for being in Thailand having been flown there at company cost and getting paid 10,000 THB / day for the priviledge.

Did I mention that I land in Survanibhumi in 32 hours time for 24 days home on the prowl. If you see someone in BKK working on a netty in the middle of patpong (Madrid Bar, Cosmos) or in Washington Square it just might be me.

Sounds like you need an assistant? Pick me!

Nice work if you can get it. Good on ya!

Time to start another Thread rather than Hijack this one me thinks!

Starbucks in Bangkok charge for Wi-Fi. And I'm pretty sure McDonalds in Bangkok does as well.

True has installed Wi-Fi APs along lower Sukhumwit (from Wireless Road to Klongton), and also down Soi 4 a bit (I can easily pick up the signal at Big Dogs and GBB, but haven't tried it farther down the soi). True Wi-Fi is also available along Silom Road, Sathorn Road, Rama IV Road, Ratchaprarop, Rama I Road, New Petchaburi Road, Asoke Road, Charoen Krung Road, and Ratchadamnoen. Plus the outdoor zones of Lumpini Park, Benjasiri Park, Siam Square, Kao San Road, Jatujak, and Thonglor (from H1 to Market Place).

If one has a True SIM, they can get one-day unlimited access for 29 (256Kbps) or 120 THB (1Mbps) depending on the bandwidth one wants, by sending an SMS to 9434; 1Mbps for 120 THB send SMS "1day" -- 256Kbps for 29 THB send SMS "wifi29" The amount is deducted from one's SIM card, so be sure there's enough left in your card before sending the SMS.

Also available at many of the True Wi-Fi APs is an offering called ‘Green Bangkok.’ The Green Bangkok service allows unlimited connect time, but the bandwidth is limited to 64Kbps, which is plenty quick enough for checking email or browsing forums with photos turned off. One must register for the service with name and ID number (such as passport). And just because it is impossible for them to check, I’m not going to suggest one try spoofing the application.

I understand True also offers 4Mbps bandwidth at their Wi-Fi APs, but this requires a special card available at True or TrueMove shops. The prices are; 1 hour for 150 THB, 3 hours for 450 THB, 5 hours for 600 THB. The 1-hour card has a 3-month validity, and the 3 and 5-hour cards have a 6-month validity.

There have been some reports saying the True’s system isn’t smart enough to determine how one is connecting to their network, which means if one is in an area that is covered by True’s 3G (Siam Paragon, for example), one can sign-on to the 3G network using their True Wi-Fi or Green Bangkok password. Pretty sweet.

Edited by Trenton42

Starbucks charges about $4 US for 2 hours usage. Preferred customers or rewards get a discount. McDonalds has competed for the coffee crowd by offering free wi-fi. It was known as a world wide initiative So I assumed it was free in BKK if they did have the service. not every McDonalds has it. I can only speak for Australia in saying that most do. Over 800 resteruants. Leaving a few that don't.

wifries2.jpg

I don't go to McDonald's often, but as of November they didn't offer free Wi-Fi.

I'm now on my way to Future Park, and will test the McDonald's when I get there.

It looks like McDonald's World Wide Wi-Fi Initiative hasn't made it to the Future Park McDonald's/McCafe quite yet.

Here's a picture showing the entrance, with a sign alerting customers to the available Wi-Fi.

01212010236.jpg

If I would have paid a little more attention, maybe I could have included all of Ronald's head...

Here's another shot showing a close-up of the sign.

01212010237.jpg

As one can see from the close-up, it's a TOT Hotspot provided by Thailand's national telephone company. Unfortunately, it's a pay service.

While scanning for available Wi-Fi, I did notice that True was available inside that McDonald's, which might be a help to some. I also noticed that Mezzo (coffee shop) and French Caff (also a coffee shop) both offer free Wi-Fi to customers.

The sun is setting now, and I'm off to the bars to see who'll tickly my fancy tonight. I'll be doing some walking around Bangkok tomorrow, and will stop in to a few McDonald's to see if I can find any better news.

P.S. Sorry about the size of the photos, but I'm limited with what I can do with my phone.

Edited by Trenton42

Passed by the McDonald's on the corner of Sukhumwit and Soi 4. Sorry to report no Wi-Fi signs, or signal.

True Wi-Fi is available, and Bully's Pub is only a few meters way -- good food, great air conditioning, strong Wi-Fi signal, and the tables in the back of AC if one's battery is running low.

I'm curious to see if you can log on to this forum. As I pointed out in an earlier post I tried few different forums here in AUS McDonalds and this was the only one I could get onto. They only have one or two outlets, and they are convienantly located in the corner, so I could even get some privacy. Service is much slower than my home service.

Looking at your photos, it reminds me of all the younger Thais at Mackers and KFC eating that American fat. I guess they get sucked in the same way as youth in western cultures. Where are they getting the money as it cost a lot more than noodle soup?

TOT does not filter this site, nor does AIS or True. I don't know if there is any additional filtering at McDonald's.

You might notice the people in the pics are wearing university uniforms; they come from wealthy enough families.

Many tourists that don’t wander far from Sukhumwit have a skewed idea about the Thais. In a lot of ways, the worst of Thais go to Sukhumwit to have at the scraps left behind by the farangs.

Although Thailand is indeed a third world country and has a lot of poor people, without having a middle class, Thailand has more than their fair share of rich people.

A few years ago when someone spotted a chubby go-go girl, they started this myth about the “McDonaldization” of Thailand. The simple truth is that chubby go-go girls didn’t get that way overnight, and they were most likely chubby back in the village. ‘Pompooey’ is an ancient Thai word, and Thai food is notoriously high in sugar and fat/oil.

BTW, popped down to Pattaya last night, and cruised by a McDonald’s on Beach Road; no signs, and no Wi-Fi.

There are lots of places in Bangkok and Pattaya to get free Wi-Fi, but for the time being McDonald’s doesn’t look like it’s one of them.

Since early December True have been running the 3G trials in downtown BKK and also in Hua Hin and it works very well. In a designated area in downtown getting download speeds in excess of 4 Mbps and I can even get over 700 Kbps from home, approx 3 LM as the crow flies from a designated 3G hotspot. I was down in Hua Hin this week and was getting >4 Mbps all over town and on the beach.

The beauty of having a Post Paid account with True is that the 3G and Wifi is part of the package, I pay 749 THB / Month for 200 Minutes talk time, 200 SMS and unlimited 3G / EDGW / GPRS / Wifi.

It was launched on 9th December 2009, inital areas covered include

Siam Paragon

Emporium

Central World

Ma Boonkrong

Siam Center

Siam Discovery

Kesorn Plaza

Central Silom

Big C Rajdamri

Fortune Tower (CP2)

True Tower Ratchadapisek

CP Tower Silom

Impact Arena Muang Thong Thani and surrounding areas

Challenger Hall Muang Thong Thani and surrounding areas

Thunder Dome Muang Thong Thani and surrounding areas

Erawan Hotel

Pathumwan Princess Hotel

Police General Hospital

The Royal Bangkok Sports Club

Chulalongkorn University and surrounding areas

Srinakarinwirot University and surrounding areas

Thai Chamber of Commerce University and surrounding areas

Assumption University Bangna and surrounding areas

Assumption University Hua Mak and surrounding areas

Mahidol University Salaya and surrounding areas

Rajamangala University (Sathorn)

Siam Square areas

Lumpini Park

Suan Lum Night Bazaar

Rama I Road from Supachalasai Stadium – Rajprasong Intersection – Ploenjit Road

Wireless Road

Rajdamri Road from The Royal Bangkok Sports Club –Rajprasong Intersection – Pratunam Intersection

Phyatai Road from Chulalongkorn University – Ma Boonkrong Intersection –

Hua Chang Bridge – Petchburi Road

Rama IV Road from Lumpini Park – Sam Yan Intersection

Sathorn Road from Lumpini Park – Narathiwas Road

Silom Road from Saladaeng Intersection – Narathiwas Road

Surawong Road from Saladaeng Inersection – Narathiwas Road

Petchburi Road from Bantadthong Road Intersection – Wireless Road

Yaowaraj Road and surrounding areas (soon)

Sukhumvit Road from Sukhumvit 1 to Prompong Intersection

Asoke Road from Sukhumvit Intersection to Rama IX Road and right to Cultural Center Intersection

Suvarnbhumi International Airport, Samutprakarn

Phuket International Airport

Patong Beach, Phuket

Cha-Am – Hua Hin route from Cha-Am District, Long Beach Hotel Cha-Am until

Hua Hin Blue Wave Beach Resort

Although the list is long, it looks like they're testing only a few actual cells in BKK at this time. But considering how long it's been in the making, any progress is a good thing.

In early January I was at Muang Thong Thani and saw the True 3G signs all over, but my True phone couldn't pick up a 3G signal. Will have a look today to see if there are any True 3G signs around Ground Zero.

I'll see if I can connect from Big Dogs this afternoon. If the bandwidth is greater than 460k, I'll cancel my AIS account. AIS works out to be a little less expensive for me, but I'm tired of giving my money to Thaksin and have been looking for an excuse to change.