angelo

interesting news about HIV

Not interesting at all.

The studies cited by the Swiss commission did not themselves definitively conclude whether people with HIV and on antiretroviral treatment could safely have unprotected sex without passing on the virus.

"There is still some concern that you can never guarantee that somebody will not be infectious, and the evidence I have to say is not conclusive," said Charlie Gilks, director of AIDS treatment and prevention at WHO.

"Many countries in western Europe would regard this as an interesting experiment," he said, adding it was unlikely they would follow suit anytime soon.

"We are not going to be changing in any way our very clear recommendations that people on treatment continue to practice safer sex, including protected sex with a condom, in any relationship," Gilks said.

In any case, of the two million people around the world currently receiving HIV treatment, only a tiny number would receive medical care comparable to that in Switzerland qualifying them to have unprotected sex as suggested by the Swiss, he said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22934058/ns/health-aids/t/aids-experts-unprotected-sex-ok-some/

Lets hope one day soon there is cure.

Although I hope for the same, I'm not very optimistic as its a lot more profitable to provide treatment then a cure. So the investment goes into research for treatment not cure. The best the world can hope for is that HIV becomes a treatable nuisance like herpes.

It's a shame as I think a cure is doable. If Jonas Salk could come up with a vaccine for polio (another virus) in the 1950's, I should think it's much easier to find a vaccine now with all our fancy technology and medical dudads.