Siam Man

Arriving In Bkk And Need Taxi?

While searching out info on the "Littering Police" I came across this old Stickman article.

http://www.stickmanw.../reader4672.htm

I realize it's a bit dated (2007) but still found it quite interesting when I read this.

If you manage to get past this gauntlet of tourist scammers you still have to be wary about getting a fair price from the authorized taxies. The Official taxi desk is also defrauding arrivals, charging 450 baht. The real price is under 300 baht. Don't be surprised if the taxi driver has a breakdown and asks you to get out and help push-start the car. Say "bye-bye" to your luggage.

I'm not one who buys everything Stickman site has to offer. I tend to rely on my own experiences more than anything. At the end of the day people use what best suits them.

A similar thread has been started in the newbie advice section. http://www.bangkokla...__fromsearch__1

A few posters have offered their preference which is another alternative that may alleviate possible fears of taking any taxi from airport. Certainly more cost effective. May not be that practical for those travelling heavy, but its a sound alternative.

Interesting to note that some of the upper market hotels, such as Banyan Tree, operate the same taxi system as the airport, if you Pick up a cab within their site. The staff give you basically the same slip of paper they would give you at the airport, with number plate, driver ID. The taxi has to be on meter. This is the Hotel Rules to the drivers, who enter the hotel zone.

They do this because prior to them implementing this system too many of their guests were getting fleeced by the taxis...which came back to them as a reflection on the hotel.

I think if I was new to arriving at Bangkok, and reading this thread I'd be unnecessarily worried, when there really is no reason to be.

Should one choose to do it the proper way, its easy..follow the signs to the public taxis....go to the booth...you pay no money there...and they give you a ticket like this.

Basically this ticket logs the drivers ID....and telephone number listed to resolve should any problem occur.

It lists in English what fees the passenger is expected to pay.

Once in the taxi you will find a notice hanging right in front of you over the seat listing the same.

You decide whether to use the express / toll route (Highway)...or non toll route road. Most nominate the toll route.

To the city you will stop at two toll booths, (if heading to Nana) On the approach to the toll booth the fee to pay is plainly visible. Combined it currently is 75 Baht.

The driver will usually ask you for the toll money on approach to booth.....Sometimes they don't...but add it on top to the metered price.

When you arrive at your destination you pay...The meter -plus 50 baht airport pick up fee (see ticket)..The highway fee if not paid already. Any tip you feel appropriate.

Simple....

Edited by Two Shots

They've upgraded the taxi rank machines at Suvarnabhumi. New ticket has driver's photo and a QR code.

Main_Taxicab_stand_of_Suvarnabhumi_Airpo

4 hours ago, hkaus72 said:

, arrived at the hotel and he's sticking an extra B125 on the meter for the Airport Fee and both tolls

I usually pay for the toll fees myself, if only to break a 1000 baht note from the ATM machine at the airport. But if you're checking work emails you don't want to be bothered with this nitty-gritty stuff.

If he really had paid for the toll fee, he would have been able to produce both receipts... 

In the old days they only showed the month and day

Thai Expressway Toll Receipt (฿25)

I'm not sure if there's a way to tell at what time the receipt was issued...

1 hour ago, Thanks said:

I usually pay for the toll fees myself, if only to break a 1000 baht note from the ATM machine at the airport. But if you're checking work emails you don't want to be bothered with this nitty-gritty stuff.

If he really had paid for the toll fee, he would have been able to produce both receipts... 

In the old days they only showed the month and day

Thai Expressway Toll Receipt (฿25)

I'm not sure if there's a way to tell at what time the receipt was issued...

Yeah the bellboys mentioned the toll receipts and then someone said "They don't always give them". Not sure if that was legit or not. Anyway, all good in the end and I think an hour later I was happily sucking on Nicky/Maxx's large appendage. This was in the days when it was always hard. 

21 minutes ago, am2009 said:

Is Grab a good option from the airport? Don't want to be waiting in a taxi queue for a long time on arrival! It's been a few years since I've been to BKK...

I read sometime ago that Grab is no longer allowed to pickup from the airport. Can someone verify this please? I will be arriving in 14 days. Thank you.

dan

Question on general taxi fares in BKK nowadays. 

It used to be a taxi from Asoke to Suvarnabhumi was about B280-B300 excluding the Tolls (B75). 
Few weeks ago I was there and the meter seemed to be out of control. I mentioned to the driver when still halfway there, that it shouldn't already be reading over B300. I got the old "my english no good". I insisted and insisted and eventually at the airport, while the meter was showing B615, he said "Okay Okay, B500 okay". 
I paid him, only because on the way I'd texted a mate that lives in BKK to ask about rate to the airport and he came back with "Oh around B600" which I thought was nuts. When I asked if fares had suddenly jumped, he replied "Ahh you could be right, yeah that seems a lot". So I was then confused, had a flight to catch, so paid him the B500. 

Anyway, have fares in BKK gone up that much? Last time I had been there was pre-COVID, but the fares had been pretty standard (apart from the odd increase), for many years. 
It could be that fares really have gone up, or maybe now that tourists are back, taxis are just taking the piss again.

13 hours ago, Danum99 said:

I read sometime ago that Grab is no longer allowed to pickup from the airport. Can someone verify this please? I will be arriving in 14 days. Thank you.

dan

Grab is banned AFAIK, but I just book them to collect me from the drop off at departure and have never had a problem doing that.

The current issue is not enough taxis being available at the airport for the amount of passengers arriving at the moment. 

Grab is no issue towards the airport around 500thb from lower suk
From airport grab not possible

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A536B met Tapatalk

On 11/23/2022 at 12:10 PM, hkaus72 said:

Question on general taxi fares in BKK nowadays. 

It used to be a taxi from Asoke to Suvarnabhumi was about B280-B300 excluding the Tolls (B75). 
Few weeks ago I was there and the meter seemed to be out of control. I mentioned to the driver when still halfway there, that it shouldn't already be reading over B300. I got the old "my english no good". I insisted and insisted and eventually at the airport, while the meter was showing B615, he said "Okay Okay, B500 okay". 
I paid him, only because on the way I'd texted a mate that lives in BKK to ask about rate to the airport and he came back with "Oh around B600" which I thought was nuts. When I asked if fares had suddenly jumped, he replied "Ahh you could be right, yeah that seems a lot". So I was then confused, had a flight to catch, so paid him the B500. 

Anyway, have fares in BKK gone up that much? Last time I had been there was pre-COVID, but the fares had been pretty standard (apart from the odd increase), for many years. 
It could be that fares really have gone up, or maybe now that tourists are back, taxis are just taking the piss again.

I know this post is an older one but the fare at the time you posted was 400 baht. 500 if you booked via the hotel

10 hours ago, Long John said:

I know this post is an older one but the fare at the time you posted was 400 baht. 500 if you booked via the hotel

No worries, thanks for the reply. 

I actually took a journey 5-6 weeks ago, was back to normal fare. Around 250-270 fare from near Asoke to Suvarnabhumi, and then throw in the B75 in tolls, it's back to B320-300, which is what it had normally always been. The dude in November clearly had a broken or clocked meter, which I thought at the time because he caved pretty quickly when I started disputing the fare. 

2 hours ago, kdfan said:

When you get in line for the taxi queue, you select the type of taxi.  They also had a second queue for large groups.  That is what I remember. 

Thanks.

I just could not remember seeing vans as such. If not we may have to take 2 taxis.

AOT has vans and SUVs. From BKK to lower Sukhumvit area is 1K baht for the Isuzu and 1.3K baht for the Mercedes van.

Yes, I know AOT is pricier than taxis but it's more than worth it because you can avoid the taxi queue, communicating with drivers who can't speak English, etc

https://www.aot-limousine.com/

11 hours ago, oliver17 said:

AOT has vans and SUVs. From BKK to lower Sukhumvit area is 1K baht for the Isuzu and 1.3K baht for the Mercedes van.

Yes, I know AOT is pricier than taxis but it's more than worth it because you can avoid the taxi queue, communicating with drivers who can't speak English, etc

Thanks, will check it out

On 4/16/2023 at 12:32 AM, Long John said:

Thanks.

I just could not remember seeing vans as such. If not we may have to take 2 taxis.

Yes LJ large taxis there , when they see your luggage they will come too you at a guess or show you the way mate 

Prices still valid and I agree with O17
Especially you get a decent drive after a long flight. And you can arrange the cab while you wit for the luggage pay with credit car so no need to pay the extortion exchange rate at the airport either.

2 hours ago, gainsbarre said:

Prices still valid and I agree with O17
Especially you get a decent drive after a long flight. And you can arrange the cab while you wit for the luggage pay with credit car so no need to pay the extortion exchange rate at the airport either.

I like getting the limo service too.  It’s nice to pre-pay and take that variable out of the equation.  I know how I’ll get to/from the airport by scheduling the rid.  I’ve used Bangkok Airport Limo before.  It was okay, but I think I’ll try AOT next time.