Sign in to follow this  
SAGuy

Free Covid-19 Vaccinations at MBK in May

4 hours ago, SAGuy said:

Background

I was at Bangkok Hospital earlier this week and the doc was a very chatty fellow, with good English. He asked if I'd had the 'flu jab yet and I advised I had it in SA in March. It seems that they are expecting a much higher prevalence of 'flu this year in the LOS and have imported extra supplies. In the northern hemisphere the 'flu season is the winter, but in the LOS it coincides with the rainy season, which will start in the next few weeks. (He advised always get the 'flu jab between Jan-May each year, as it takes up to 4 weeks to become effective).

The conversation then moved on to Covid-19 and he advised there had been a spike up to 1,000 new cases a day during Songkran and so they are also expecting an increase in the rainy season. He advised if you are 60+, haven't had a jab, or haven't been infected in 6+ months, then you should also get a booster.

I did some Googling and found this article:

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/general/40027083

The Experience

They are also running the same scheme at CentralWorld, but the times are 1500-2100. I decided that MBK would be a better option, as hopefully there would be less people during the day.

MBK is very easy to get to from the 'Combat Zone'. Take the BTS to Siam. Change trains and take the train to National Stadium. Then follow the signs to MBK and there is a direct walkway which takes you onto the 2nd Floor. Take a lift or escalator to the 6th floor, which is spookily deserted. Walk to the far end and you will see the temporary vax centre.

Present you passport. If you are a local or a resident visa holder its free. I was the only farang; but there were quite a few Asian tourists and they have to pay a nominal fee (THB 490? I'm not certain).

You fill out a form, in English (that was impressive) and then walk in. You take a seat and then called to another room and get jabbed. Then on the way out you have to hand in the form and are directed to a "recovery room" for 30 minutes. Don't skip this, as I was tempted to. This is where they print and give you the certificate.

I visited today and it was a 50 minutes process - 20 minutes for the actual execution and 30 minutes for the 'recovery'.

I deliberately chose 10.30 to avoid crowds, and it was not busy.

The vax is intended as a booster and is the Moderna version with the Omicron strain. All of my previous 3 Pfizers were for the previous strain, hence why I went.

I'd recommend doing this if you believe in the vaccination route and the process was well organised and ran smoothly. They are geared up for large volumes, so it was a pleasure today.

They are running this daily until Friday 12 May, 0900-1500 and then for the 2 weekends after the election. If you have a full time job, CentralWorld is doing the same days, but 1500-2100, so that may fit better for you.

Cheers

SAG

Thanks for this!! I’m heading there tomorrow for my 4th jab.