Bwana_LB

Mercure Soi 11 Review

Do they not ask for Id Gains ? 
No only if you pass check in counter first

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A536B met Tapatalk

8 hours ago, oliver17 said:

You may want to reconsider before having an LB sneak around with you to avoid being seen by other people. Think about what that says to a ladyboy: That you are embarrassed by her and don't want to be seen with her. I know that's not the message you to convey, but that's what she is going to think. It will get you off on the wrong foot with her and put a damper on things for the rest of the night. 

thanks for this, forums are great to get a different perspective of things. 

I think you are absolutely correct with this and I hadn’t considered it. Also agree about the hotel workers and couldn’t care what the old couple from the chattering classes think. 
I was focussing on the  situation with families around etc. wanted to minimise the case of running into a family while I’m with  with an obvious sex worker. Not that I’m paranoid per se, just wouldn’t want to be causing undue questions. “Hey daddy why’s that girl got man’s bits” etc. but I guess the flip side of that is families shouldn’t be in the red light zone. 
again thanks for the views it’s really helpful

1 hour ago, Bimale75 said:

I think you are absolutely correct with this and I hadn’t considered it. Also agree about the hotel workers and couldn’t care what the old couple from the chattering classes think. 
I was focussing on the  situation with families around etc. wanted to minimise the case of running into a family while I’m with  with an obvious sex worker. Not that I’m paranoid per se, just wouldn’t want to be causing undue questions. “Hey daddy why’s that girl got man’s bits” etc. but I guess the flip side of that is families shouldn’t be in the red light zone. 

Sent you a pm BM 

12 hours ago, oliver17 said:

Last year I wrote a post about this same subject along with some pics. It seemed to strike a chord because it got 21 likes. Click on the link and read the whole post. Good luck. 

You now have 23 likes Oliver, but I gave my like not for the well worded post, but for all the pics of your beautiful dining companions! :)

I agree with the advice the BM's have given here.  I stayed at the Mercure (thank you for this review Bwana) and on my first night I ran into the bellboy who helped me with my luggage when I arrived.  He asked me "Where do you go tonight sir?" and I responded "Cindy's Secrets" which got me a big smile and thumbs up from him.

I enjoyed chatting with the girls from reception when they were not with guests...especially Beem and Cherry...they are real sweethearts.  They would tease me about my carousing...not because I was bringing back ladyboys, but just good natured banter in general.

I never got any dirty looks from the other guests or the staff there bringing back girls.  Quite the opposite...the staff were always very polite and respectful towards my companions and the other guests were usually jealous, haha. 

Edited by CanadaVisitor

3 hours ago, Bimale75 said:

On Soi 11, chances are you won't see any families with kids. 

In hotels that attract Arab families, kids are running up and down hallways without adult supervision around the clock even in the wee hours. They don't misbehave - they are actually quite well behaved - but they apparently don't have conventional bedtimes like they would in the West. It's simply a cultural difference. Those hotels are mostly in the Arab quarter proper rather than Soi 11. 

A few years back as I was leaving Nana Plaza, I spotted a young farang family with pre-school children and a stroller at the entrance trying to enter NEP.  I guess they were attracted by the bright lights and wanted to see what was inside. The security guys jumped up out of their chairs, stopped them immediately and then had a chat with the parents. I didn't hear what was said, but I did see the mom's eyes open really wide while she was listening. That was probably when they realized Bangkok is a questionable choice for a family vacation. 

3 hours ago, oliver17 said:

A few years back as I was leaving Nana Plaza, I spotted a young farang family with pre-school children and a stroller at the entrance trying to enter NEP.  I guess they were attracted by the bright lights and wanted to see what was inside. The security guys jumped up out of their chairs, stopped them immediately and then had a chat with the parents. I didn't hear what was said, but I did see the mom's eyes open really wide while she was listening. That was probably when they realized Bangkok is a questionable choice for a family vacation. 

Wow. Good work in the security guards part. I’m guessing the fact they had a stroller in bkk, given the sidewalks, only reinforces their greenness. Good story though and it did make me laugh. 

I had not stayed on Soi 11 for at least a few years, I believe my last stay was at Aloft (a Bonvoy property). Booked the Mercure several months in advance so got a decent rate for a room which included access to executive lounge. The room itself was classified as a suite, but it was just an oversize room with a sofa, and two TVs, rather than just one TV. 

I enjoyed staying on this Soi, and staying in a room that was actually fully isolated from the noise of that busy street. Compared to the Westin Grande, where you are constantly hearing the tuk tuk on the Soi, between the hotel and Terminal 21, or street traffic on Sukhumvit, the Mercure was quite tranquil. For Indian food, I prefer the one about 3 minute walk towards Sukhumvit (next to 7-11). Good food, and very nice people. Breakfast at the hotel nothing more than average, for Bangkok.

The lighting issue is annoying. I know that at my advanced age, I am especially sensitive to lights that are suddenly bright, and is not an issue for others. However, I felt like I always had to keep my head tilted down, whether walking in my room, down the hallway to my room, or even right in reception. Yes, I realize I probably come off as a complaining falang when I pointed this out to the staff, as if they had any control over future renovations.

I look forward to your arrival @Bwana_LB...just note that there have been a few changes here since I stayed back in April.

They are attempting to be a lot more family friendly...they do not allow the weed trucks to park in front of the hotel anymore.  They have also put up a railing in front of the hotel so that freelancers can't sit there anymore.  That was a shame for me because I actually became friendly with one of the girls who posted herself there by the name of May.  Haven't seen her so far this trip :(

Also, breakfast is pretty bad now.  They still have an egg station, but fried and scrambled eggs are waiting for you under a heat lamp.  They still do omelettes to order and you can also shame them into making you fresh fried eggs.  There is no coconut water like they used to have.  And the buffet is now mostly halal.  (I think I got that right...Indian food). They have 2 choices for western dishes and that's it.  One day the choices were broccoli in cream sauce and fried tomatoes. Haha...not a potato in sight!

And this is room dependent...even though the outlets should accept N.American plugs I found that I needed to use an adapter to make a proper connection. I look forward to your thoughts when you return.

Cheers

On 1/7/2024 at 10:42 PM, CanadaVisitor said:

(I think I got that right...Indian

As far as Indian food goes, one very popular place is a restaurant right next to Grand Business Inn on the right hand side. About 50 meters from Sukhimvit.

Always a lot of Indians going in there. 

I do eat Indian at home but not when in Thailand. Why would you?.

As an aside, a bit closer to Suk, is one of my favorite girls in BKK. The girl that makes the hamburgers in a very small stall outside the marijuana shop. I do hope she is there when I am back in March. A real stunner and good to chat with. She is a gg and comes from Myanmar.