Knobby

Cathay Pacific

So right yea,

Trip # 2 of 2022 is with Cathay Pacific. Never used them before. I know they have been around a good few years.

At the time of booking, they were the cheapest at £752. Flight times for me are good.

A generous allowance for checked-in luggage of 2x23kg cases. And the ticket I chose came with free seat selections. 

However, they have already changed one flight on the outward-bound leg. I mean I now only have 50 mins to transit HKG (Hong Kong) Looking on Google Maps and the reviews there seems a right-shit show at HKG. Some said they had to go through security even though they were transiting it took 2 hours! 

I hope Cathay know what they are doing. It's a good thing I am only going with a carry-on case this time so I don't have the worry of wondering if my checked luggage made it to the next flight. 

5 hours ago, oliver17 said:

Cathay Pacific connects thousands of passengers at HKG every day and have doing so for decades. Assuming your 1st flight (Heathrow?) departs reasonably on time, there is no need to worry about missing your connecting flight at HKG. Airlines use algorithms that will account for precisely what time your 1st flight arrived at HKG gate that day and exactly how long the lines are at transit security at that particular moment. If your flight arrives slightly late or the lines at security are longer than expected, Cathay will adjust your 2nd flight's departure time accordingly. There will be other passengers on your plane with the identical travel itinerary as yours and Cathay won't be leaving anybody behind because doing so just creates headaches for them. 

I have flown Cathay on several trips to Thailand and transited through HKG on all of them. The longest transit security ever took was maybe 10 minutes.  Lines can move slower at HKG than other airports, but Cathay knows that better than anybody and they account for it. Relax and enjoy your trip. 

I pay little heed to travel reviews on trip advisor etc. because many of them are written by Karen-types who complain about everything under the sun. 

Yes, they carry loads of people. And also yes some reviews are to be doubted but some of the reviews don't paint a good picture of that airport at all.

I love Cathay and the HK airport. Never had any issues there, but haven’t flown thru there since before Covid, so am guessing any delays are related to that. Perhaps they’re short staffed, like many other carriers?

good luck

11 hours ago, oliver17 said:

Cathay Pacific connects thousands of passengers at HKG every day and have doing so for decades. Assuming your 1st flight (Heathrow?) departs reasonably on time, there is no need to worry about missing your connecting flight at HKG. Airlines use algorithms that will account for precisely what time your 1st flight arrived at HKG gate that day and exactly how long the lines are at transit security at that particular moment. If your flight arrives slightly late or the lines at security are longer than expected, Cathay will adjust your 2nd flight's departure time accordingly. There will be other passengers on your plane with the identical travel itinerary as yours and Cathay won't be leaving anybody behind because doing so just creates headaches for them. 

I have flown Cathay on several trips to Thailand and transited through HKG on all of them. The longest transit security ever took was maybe 10 minutes.  Lines can move slower at HKG than other airports, but Cathay knows that better than anybody and they account for it. Relax and enjoy your trip. 

I pay little heed to travel reviews on trip advisor etc. because many of them are written by Karen-types who complain about everything under the sun. 

"I felt the thread count of our towels was unsatisfactory and the doorman didn't bow as low as I feel he should have given the money we paid. And the bath took too long to fill and..." sadly these are often followed by " thank you for staying with us and I'm sorry etc etc". Just once I'd like to see a manager reply " fuck off you whinging miserable old cow. This place is fucking great value!"

My pet peeve is the over enthusiastic first time out of the house type "and we had a flat screen tv...and a kettle! Awesome hotel".

Edited by mikel

12 minutes ago, mikel said:

"I felt the thread count of our towels was unsatisfactory and the doorman didn't bow as low as I feel he should have given the money we paid. And the bath took too long to fill and..." sadly these are often followed by " thank you for staying with us and I'm sorry etc etc". Just once I'd like to see a manager reply " fuck off you whinging miserable old cow. This place is fucking great value!"

My pet peeve is the over enthusiastic first time out of the house type "and we had a flat screen tv...and a kettle! Awesome hotel".

While perusing the forums on Flyertalk.com, I stumbled across this princess:

No-Champagne-In-Business-Class-FlyerTalk-Forums.png

You should be transfer protected by Cathay.

But having said that....Get it from the horses mouth. Call them and get confirmation for peace of mind.

I've flown Cathay and transited at HKG many times. Only the first time did transfer through security take more than a few minutes. As I recall the first trip we arrived early in HKG (before 6AM) and the other transit areas were not open at that hour. So we all got funneled into one transfer area. Most likely you will have no problem.  

I am told most thai ladyboys and a lot of random thais HK immigration don't like the look of are currently being turned back in HK the last 3 weeks..... Stuck in a room for 24 hrs then put on the plane back. No reason given. 

I am gonna call them and see if I can get some intel.

Update,

I have called Cathay twice.

1st time was to ask about any covid restrictions and if need to go through any security. I was told no restrictions apart from wearing a mask and showing proof of covid injections.

2nd time was to ask about my flights, I got an e-mail saying one flight the times have changed. 

It was, CX 252 going at 11.15 and land 0700 at HKG  but now it's 11.15 take off and land 0740

Now is where it gets interesting, the next flight from HKG to BKK is CX705, which takes off at 0830.

The dude says Cathay recommends 50 mins to transit from one flight to another. I will have 45 mins.  I have been looking at a map of terminal 1 and as far as I can tell I just have to go from one floor to the next and then to the right gate. I think I can do it as long as there is no need to go through security or any other hold-ups. 

I am only taking hand luggage which is a bonus.

So, have any of you used that airport before? Do you think I can do it in 45 mins?

Also, the flights coming back have changed meaning I have less transit time at HKG again.

But then the dude says that if one flight is late taking off from LHR going or from BKK coming back then the next flight will have to wait. 

So then I wonder why he was eager to sell me another flight a few moments ago. If the LHR to HKG flight is late taking off and let's face it LHR aint the best airport by far, then I got nothing to worry about. The next flight based on what he said will have to wait. 

38 minutes ago, Knobby said:

Update,

I have called Cathay twice.

1st time was to ask about any covid restrictions and if need to go through any security. I was told no restrictions apart from wearing a mask and showing proof of covid injections.

2nd time was to ask about my flights, I got an e-mail saying one flight the times have changed. 

It was, CX 252 going at 11.15 and land 0700 at HKG  but now it's 11.15 take off and land 0740

Now is where it gets interesting, the next flight from HKG to BKK is CX705, which takes off at 0830.

The dude says Cathay recommends 50 mins to transit from one flight to another. I will have 45 mins.  I have been looking at a map of terminal 1 and as far as I can tell I just have to go from one floor to the next and then to the right gate. I think I can do it as long as there is no need to go through security or any other hold-ups. 

I am only taking hand luggage which is a bonus.

So, have any of you used that airport before? Do you think I can do it in 45 mins?

Also, the flights coming back have changed meaning I have less transit time at HKG again.

But then the dude says that if one flight is late taking off from LHR going or from BKK coming back then the next flight will have to wait. 

So then I wonder why he was eager to sell me another flight a few moments ago. If the LHR to HKG flight is late taking off and let's face it LHR aint the best airport by far, then I got nothing to worry about. The next flight based on what he said will have to wait. 

45 minutes should be more than enough in my opinion. I’m guessing crowds are small now, so navigating your way to your gate should be no problem. Hopefully your first flight is either right on time, or if you’re really lucky, early.

Yea Rocco I think so also.

50 mins is maybe the average person walking normally or with a family. A dude like me going at warp factor 9 to the next gate could make it.

5 hours ago, Knobby said:

Yea Rocco I think so also.

50 mins is maybe the average person walking normally or with a family. A dude like me going at warp factor 9 to the next gate could make it.

Maybe being paranoid here, the other thought would be what the times quoted mean? Is arrival time literally when the plane touches down so you have to factor in the time for taxing and disembarkation as well as transit from arrival gate to departure gate?

Then one other thing that I can think of that might derail you and would be worth checking is if the flight is late for some reason. I have never used Cathay so don't know how good their time keeping is.

You will have a security screening on your arrival floor before going to your departure gate floor unless something changed since I was last there. I've never been to a east Asia airport, and I've been through many flying from the US, that didn't have arrival floor security except SIN. SIN has the screening at your departure gate.

Last time it took maybe 5-10 minutes to get through screening.

Edited by Len Dtuut

I hope not but if it is the case then I hope Cathay know what they are doing. It will be cutting it really fine.