Sign in to follow this  
Knobby

Carry on Only Tips

Am setting myself a challenge for the 2nd trip of 2022.

Only going with a carry-on case, no checked luggage.

I don't like all these new reports of luggage going missing all around the world. Shame as I have a 2x 23kg allowance with Cathay Pacific but I don't wanna risk my main case going missing.

So am after any travel or packing hacks you know of.

So far I have found a travel case that weighs only 554 grams and with clothing, footwear,1staid kit and a washbag am currently sitting at 5.85kg.

I will be taking my laptop so I can cram things like chargers,leads,power banks etc in the laptop bag as that never gets weighed.

One hack a friend tells me about is getting a travel neck pillow, taking the stuffing out and cramming small items like socks inside (maybe a t-shirt rolled up also) as that never gets weighed.

Toiletries I usually get when in Thailand but do take my own aftershave and razor. Am thinking when at Heathrow Terminal 3 there is a Boot chemist airside so could get some items there.

Any other tips or hacks I haven't thought of that you know?

Well I usually  stay in a hotel with a washer/dryer so I pack considerably less clothes than what I use to. My go to hotel is Adelphi Grande. Others are centre point Sukhumvit,  parchara suites and the 2 other adelphis. 

When I do a carry- on only trip I always use one of these....

https://www.scottevest.com/products/rfid-travel-vest-for-men

I get in my iPad,phones,chargers,cables,medicines,documents,passport,keys,sunglasses etc . You can really get a lot of stuff in.And it makes going through security easier too.Instead of having to take out your coins,keys,metallic objects...you just slip off the vest and put it in the tray and walk through the check while they do the scan.I put a pair of sneakers in ,one time!

If you've got time before your trip, see if you can pick up a used one on ebay or amazon.

They also do shirts , shorts, windbreakers with loads of pockets. A bit pricey, but well functional.

This is a method I've used when needing a lot of changes of clothing. I've since switched to minimal clothes opting for quick dry clothing that I can easily wash in a sink, hang up, and dry in the morning.

Are we talking about the Carry On movies from the sixties and seventies?. Those who are not from a UK or Commonwealth background will not understand.

On a more sensible note. I am travelling to Phuket/PhiPhi in November for a few days. I am sure I will manage with carry on, but my reg. will need to take a suitcase. You know what they are like!.

I got the weight down a bit more.:D

On 9/5/2022 at 2:10 AM, katana57 said:

When I do a carry- on only trip I always use one of these....

https://www.scottevest.com/products/rfid-travel-vest-for-men

I get in my iPad,phones,chargers,cables,medicines,documents,passport,keys,sunglasses etc . You can really get a lot of stuff in.And it makes going through security easier too.Instead of having to take out your coins,keys,metallic objects...you just slip off the vest and put it in the tray and walk through the check while they do the scan.I put a pair of sneakers in ,one time!

If you've got time before your trip, see if you can pick up a used one on ebay or amazon.

They also do shirts , shorts, windbreakers with loads of pockets. A bit pricey, but well functional.

ohh now that's nice.

Handy also for the plane as I get very cold when on the plane. They always have the temp set low. 

I got my bag weight down to 5.44Kg now.

One new packing "hack" a bro of mine told me about and I tried it today.

Get one of those travel neck pillow things and stuff it with small items of clothing. :wtf:

I asked for more details :blink: 

The type in question has a memory foam sponge inside. The outer cover has a zip. Remove the memory foam then stuff it with small items. 

These never get weighed at check-in, wear it round your neck when you roll up at the check-in desk. 

So I got one and today I tried it, I got 6 pairs of socks, 2 vest tops, and one other long-sleeve top inside. weight of this is 675 grams.

6 hours ago, katana57 said:

They're handy even if you take a checked-in  bag.....no need for a carry-on.Everything you'd usually put in a carry-on will fit in the vest.

And convenient going through security.

I might get one, or one similar. I see fishing vests are of the same type with lots of pockets.

I do have and use a small shoulder bag for day-to-day use.

30 minutes ago, Rodrigo said:

The best way to do this is to wear multiple layers of clothing. Yes you are legally allowed to wear multiple layers. I mean two or three pairs of underwear. A pair of shorts and your pants over that. 3 socks and two t shirts and a polo shirt over them. Grab a t shirt and roll it over your head as a turban.

The rest you can put it in your carry on. Once you get thru the airline staff just take those off and put them in your carry on. 

Nice idea, I might do some of that. Dunno about a turban though :D

36 minutes ago, Knobby said:

Nice idea, I might do some of that. Dunno about a turban though :D

The turban was my idea. The rest I have seen it done. I couldn't believe it when I saw this thin guy I know who looked fat when he turned up at the airport. The funny thing was the security only asked him to remove his jacket and nothing else. 

1 minute ago, Rodrigo said:

The turban was my idea. The rest I have seen it done. I couldn't believe it when I saw this thin guy I know who looked fat when he turned up at the airport. The funny thing was the security only asked him to remove his jacket and nothing else. 

Ok well I will keep that in mind.

On 9/11/2022 at 3:19 PM, Rodrigo said:

The best way to do this is to wear multiple layers of clothing. Yes you are legally allowed to wear multiple layers. I mean two or three pairs of underwear. A pair of shorts and your pants over that. 3 socks and two t shirts and a polo shirt over them. Grab a t shirt and roll it over your head as a turban.

The rest you can put it in your carry on. Once you get thru the airline staff just take those off and put them in your carry on. 

I thought this would be obvious

0_Philippine-woman-wears-25kg-worth-of-clothes-after-her-overweight-luggage-gets-rejected.jpg

On 9/15/2022 at 4:02 AM, sornierob said:

I have 3 SotteVests and have been using them for over 10 years--never go without wearing one.   I carry everything in the vest that I do not want to lose and that I want to access during the flights.  I also haven't checked a bag for 25 or more years and my trips are usually 4-6 weeks.  Never had a problem finding a wash and fold shop, and some hotels will do it cheaply.  

Exactly.

But as I mentioned in an earlier post, if I take a checked in bag I still use the vest.That way I don't need a carry on.Everything I would usually put in a carry on fits in the vest.A breeze going through security too....No messing around emptying your pockets, etc.

Another thing I bought from Scottevest was a windbreaker. I ride a motorcycle everyday , and because I can get everything I need into it,I don't need to hump around a rucksack or daysack/backpack. Just another option to think about.