Sign in to follow this  
fizzy

Anyone here experience side effects from PrEP (Truvada)

Wondering if anyone experienced side effects from Truvada?

I have been reading that some people get Diarrhea/Stomach troubles along with bad headaches for the first 3-4 weeks just wondering how common that is?
also if it does happen and one chooses to stop the Truvada to avoid ruining a holiday do the side effects persist and for how long? I'm worried it could ruin the trip even if I decide to stop taking it 

If they do I'm thinking of traveling to a distant clinic and beginning it at home beforehand but that will be a lot of effort and money. I appreciate any input, thanks.

Everytime I take prep, I have pretty bad diarhea and stopach pain, taking it for a month makes side effects dissapear. Stopping prep makes them dissapear 3 days after.

most people are more lucky.

thanks mate that's exactly what I was after. now I wont worry about getting prep here and will start it when I arrive in BKK not having to worry about the side effect's not going away for the entire duration of my trip if I have the sides ill stop taking it and within 3 days ill be all set. very much appreciated thanks again! 

1 hour ago, naughtydog-bkk said:

I haven't had any problems at all. No side effects whatsoever. That said, I'm prone to stomach trouble anyway, so it could probably have slipped in unnoticed.

For some reason your comment didn't appear until after I had seen Jonard's, ok thanks very much that's good to know I hope I'm in the same boat!

On 8/25/2022 at 3:10 PM, fizzy said:

thanks mate that's exactly what I was after. now I wont worry about getting prep here and will start it when I arrive in BKK not having to worry about the side effect's not going away for the entire duration of my trip if I have the sides ill stop taking it and within 3 days ill be all set. very much appreciated thanks again! 

Other option is to start now, see if you have any reaction, so you can stop before you come to bkk. But I don't know when you're coming.

14 hours ago, naughtydog-bkk said:

Other option is to start now, see if you have any reaction, so you can stop before you come to bkk. But I don't know when you're coming.

Yeah I think I’ll give that a try will just have to travel quiet far to get it but I think it’s well worth it.

On 3/20/2024 at 12:23 PM, DHANA said:

Thats a long way off and would be the answer to many a medical condition. 

Any drug when first introduced to the body has potential to cause diaroeha and or vomiting as its the simplest way the body gets rid of "toxins".

Descovy PrEP is a smaller tablet compared to Truvada. Descovy is claimed to have less long term issues for kidney and liver. Descovy has less complaints of immediate side effects such as stomach and bowel issues. 

DESCOVY for PrEP® (pre-exposure prophylaxis)

Initially I was prescribed Truvada and had the obligatory diarohea. Now I take Descovy and have not had any issues.

I've had a much better response to Descovy than Truvada personally.

Prior to trying Descovy I had a trip just after the COVID reopening where I spent most of the time feeling unwell due to Truvada and then when I caught COVID towards the end of my trip it just made matters worse as my body was already weakened after drinking, fucking and eating (I'd been craving authentic Thai food during the lockdown nearly as much as the LBs as watching Bangkok foodie videos was keeping me sane until I could get out there so I binged on food too) as much as possible in the heat despite feeling like crap and then ended up with terrible stomach issues, kidney pain and COVID. Not a good end to that trip, I had a LT LB in my room also recovering from COVID who subsequently looked after me for a period of time who takes Prep and didn't get the same reaction but it wasn't until a few days after I stopped taking the Truvada that my stomach started to settle so I wasn't keen to do so again if possible.

I've since used Descovy on 2 fairly long periods where I took the drug to cover a few visits in quick succession and had no issues.

I had stomach and bowel issues with Truvada. I quite taking it and decided to just be extra vigilant about being covered at the appropriate times. I have not tried Descovy, but have friends who said they had similar stomach and bowel issues.

It is common to have stomach issues with regimes containing Tenofovir. Mine kicked in about 10 days and persisted for about 4-5 weeks. Then my stomach was used to it and I have no problems now.