Knobby

Flight Credit. Anybody got a refund?

I imagine I am not the only BM who had to cancel a Thailand trip in 2020.

I was planning two, in fact. One in May, the other in November. The May trip I had paid for my flight with Ethiad.

I have had a flight credit with the airline since and the value of said credit is £530.

Anybody here got that credit money back? Is it possible? I will of course try and call Ethiad to find out if I can get the money back but I wonder if there is any good reason they can refuse?

If they do refuse who would I then go to and escalate the issue with?

Below is a pretty good primer about getting cash instead of a voucher. It's from April and is is aimed at US readers, but it's still accurate and if you read through it EU regulations are covered as well. Apparently if you're British, EU consumer protections will still cover UK citizens despite Brexit, at least for a while.  

This article recommends turning to your bank card issuer as a last resort, but I would make that my first option. Several times over the years, I have had "non-refundable" airline and hotel reservations that I no longer wanted and I have gone straight to American Express and they have refunded my money every time with no questions asked. I also did that with a CitiBank card one time. Let your bank card issuer deal with Etihad if you can. 

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/as-airlines-refund-travelers-heres-how-to-get-cash-instead-of-a-voucher

7 hours ago, oliver17 said:

Below is a pretty good primer about getting cash instead of a voucher. It's from April and is is aimed at US readers, but it's still accurate and if you read through it EU regulations are covered as well. Apparently if you're British, EU consumer protections will still cover UK citizens despite Brexit, at least for a while.  

This article recommends turning to your bank card issuer as a last resort, but I would make that my first option. Several times over the years, I have had "non-refundable" airline and hotel reservations that I no longer wanted and I have gone straight to American Express and they have refunded my money every time with no questions asked. I also did that with a CitiBank card one time. Let your bank card issuer deal with Etihad if you can. 

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/as-airlines-refund-travelers-heres-how-to-get-cash-instead-of-a-voucher

I am sure you are right on this regarding British credit cards, it wouldn't provide the same refundable cover on Debit cards.

On 12/30/2020 at 3:37 AM, taaseesanuk said:

I am sure you are right on this regarding British credit cards, it wouldn't provide the same refundable cover on Debit cards.

One the reasons that I never use debit cards for purchases--only for ATM 

I got my tickets via credit card April 2020.

I think a phone call to Ethiad is in order.

1 hour ago, Kano Mike said:

I applied for a Refund from China Airlines, fingers crossed

I am sure they will not have an ounce of sympathy for your request,  whereas quite frankly they should be ashamedly expediting the process!

I had a flight cancelled last year. Qantas gave me a credit for future flights. I was ok with that as I usually live half the year in Sydney and will likely need to use them this year or next.

Since then I have been extra careful to book with airlines who seem to have a reasonable set of customer policies and I know deliver a good experience. Translate that to mean tier 1 airlines such a Qantas, Singapore Airlines, Swiss Air, etc. I also only book business and first-class due to the (perceived?) clout I get when changing/cancelling bookings. For example, I've just delayed my SIA flights to LOS from February to April as the outbreak in LOS does its thing. No charge to do so.

I also book these airlines because of the overall inflight service provided. Especially the flatbeds onboard.

I realise that this is a more expensive way to fly but after 3 decades of regular flying for work and pleasure, I've reached the point where I'm not happy squeezing into seats in the rear of the plane. I'm sure that if that was the only way I could get to LOS, then I'd still do it, but my own circumstances happily allow me to avoid having to choose this.

After 2 phone calls to get a person who had half a brain I got an answer from Ethiad........ they aint gonna give me a refund :wacko:

Not sure that's totally legal still? 

On 1/9/2021 at 2:36 AM, Knobby said:

After 2 phone calls to get a person who had half a brain I got an answer from Ethiad........ they aint gonna give me a refund :wacko:

Not sure that's totally legal still? 

Time to call your credit card company and state that the flight is the same as "Goods not received".

Airline companies will have you going around in circles before you get a straight answer.

And I have done just that.

Called them Tuesday and told them the details. I asked if this would be goods not received and was told yes.

I have to wait up to 45 days but I got time to wait 555

I had an Emirates booked for last November. I kept it as an open ticket valid 2 years rather than refund as it was at a bargain price. I'm assuming when I get to use it that prices will be higher

I booked a flight from London to BKK with Thai for 2020, it was of course cancelled and has now been rebooked for 3 weeks in November 2021...the flight was cheap when I originally booked it so I thought rebooking would be better than maybe it costing a lot more when things open up...

4 hours ago, Sebastien said:

A friend of mine cancelled a flight to Japan back in March. Just got a refund this week. 

Thank you that reminds me I must get in touch with KLM as my voucher runs out on the 4th March

my flight to bkk from europe with qatar airways got cancelled last march. in november my travel insurance wanted to close the case and refunded me the flight. just a few days later the travel agency refunded the flight too...
bingo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got an answer from the card company.

It's No. Fuck it :wacko:

Looks like I waited to long.

Oh well I got another year so will now have to sit and wait. :tumbleweed:

24 minutes ago, Knobby said:

I got an answer from the card company.

It's No. Fuck it :wacko:

Looks like I waited to long.

Oh well I got another year so will now have to sit and wait. :tumbleweed:

Do you still have the credit voucher ?

I couldn’t get my money back but happy they extended the credit to 31st December 2021 Bit of luck I’ll have Christmas in Bangkok or Pattaya 

Edited by OneTrueSaxon

I got budget for a very  good 2 weeks short blast of a balls-out trip and yes having a flight already paid for is good. (unless the prices go up that much and I have to top it up)

1 hour ago, Knobby said:

I got budget for a very  good 2 weeks short blast of a balls-out trip and yes having a flight already paid for is good. (unless the prices go up that much and I have to top it up)

Yeah I was thinking the same about having to top it up if the prices go sky high or I may use it for a multi trip around Europe in September when my niece gets married as she lives and works in Ibiza. I looked at a trip Manchester-Amsterdam-Madrid-Ibiza-Amsterdam-Manchester £425 and use the remainder for upgrades for leg room