Thanks

BTS Skytrain Bangkok

Four more stations will be opening in June 2020 as the existing Sukhumvit green line will be extended from Kasetsart University (North 13 / N13) to Wat Phra Si Mahathat (N17).

1190x1612_map01.jpg

https://www.bts.co.th/eng/

Do's and don'ts on the BTS:

https://twitter.com/i/videos/1244975740979793920

Edited by Thanks

Was reading that they'll be opening the remaining stations by the end of this year, and that from one end to the other on the light-green Sukhumvit line will be about 1.5 hours. They will also be adding around a dozen new trains to make up for the extra stations IIRC.

Would be good to get the airport 'link' finally linking the two airports at some point, or at least having some metro line going to DMK. The original ambitious metro-plan with 13 different lines still looks a long ways away..

Future Bangkok Metro Lines.jpg

There are plenty of areas of Bangkok that are dead to me if there’s no MRT/BTS link but the map has really grown in the last 18 months. 

The MRT Blue line is now a full loop, a la the London Circle Line and since they pushed the BTS Green line on past Mo Chit, they've been opening stations every few months. The last stop, Ku Khot, is right near Don Muang....but behind it. I’m sure enterprising taxi drivers and Songtaews will hang out there once it’s open.

I don’t think there will be any kind of direct rail from DM to Swampy until the Chinese bullet train from Laos to Pattaya is running...one of those I’ll believe it when I see it projects.

I think the ARL to Don Muang is due next year but it well terminate from the new all singing and dancing Rail hub at Bang Sue. Although most of the line and stations look ready, the big hub at Bang Due still looks some way off and CV19 probably hasn’t exactly sped up construction.

What's the point in social distancing on the platform while queueing, but once inside the train you're sardined with 200 other people...

96273836_3020698587984924_64164703732938

:Insanity:

16 minutes ago, Thanks said:

What's the point in social distancing on the platform while queueing, but once inside the train you're sardined with 200 other people... 

What's equally as amusing is that they still enforce/follow the social distancing for seating- so you can't sit next to each other but standing in crammed as shown is fine.

Unfortunately I can't see a feasible solution to this during peak time- there'd be lines onto the street if they enforced passenger limits and they barely have enough trains running as it is so they won't be increasing the number of services.

Thankfully the number of (detected) cases has been single digits/zero for the past 1-2 weeks, and with wearing a mask necessary to ride the BTS/MRT and well over 90% of people wearing masks everywhere else, I would say it's not as big a concern compared to other countries with similar crowding issues.

I got a bus back from Chatcuhak Park during peak hours last week and they'd said "sod it" to the distancing and were just letting all the seats be used. 

Mask use is fucking hilarious, I watched a worker at Foodland take hers off to cough all over the vegetables in the produce section, then replace it, several times. Many people wear masks with their noses out, or just have it wrapped around their neck. Some taxi drivers are using masks that look like old oil rags, I had a driver today who was picking his nose and wiping it on the edge of the mask. Mainly farangs aren't wearing masks, I only do to not rile up the locals as a dirty farang spreading the Corona... 

Yeah I don't disagree, their mask use is about as good as their helmets- if they're worn at all they're loose or completely unstrapped so they'd fly off in a crash, or using bicycle helmets.

For whatever reasons (heat, prior mask usage, less touchy-feely social interactions, pure luck) Thailand has escaped the huge death tolls faced by other countries so I'm not overly concerned. The face shields and gloves worn by a lot of customer service now is way overkill but whatever keeps them in the illusion of safety.

I'm just glad they haven't put up plastic barriers inside PT like they've done in restaurants. Some of them are literally cling wrap on a couple of makeshift pipe frames, what's the point?

2 hours ago, Ropey said:

Some taxi drivers are using masks that look like old oil rags, I had a driver today who was picking his nose and wiping it on the edge of the mask.

I would get sicker witnessing that than I would by contracting Covid.