Thanks

Air Travel during the New Normal

I'm wondering how Covid-19 will change the way we travel to Bangkok?

Will we all be wearing face masks for the duration of the flight on board in the future?

How will the flight attendants' uniforms look like?

Scoot

EVeHqaGUcAAkgse.jpg:large

Eva Air

EWMzUEcXkAAczX0?format=jpg&name=large

Philippines Airlines

93375478_252188169238555_559947870495152

Emirates

Untitled-design-2020-04-21T135211.183.pn

Sri Lankan I think

csm_corona-sri_lanka_air_31cbf0967d.jpg

Will pax also have to wear in-flight protective gear?

Will there be one aisle for going to the lavatory and another one for returning to the seat?

Instead of a welcome Champagne, will we get some sanitizer bottles?

MAS

EWIHPcmU4AELKfD.jpg:large

Will the cleaning of the aircraft take much longer than before Corona and will therefore the aircraft turnaround time be a lot higher?

Will we be greeted with an infrared thermometer gun when we board the plane?

Will the middle seats be blocked or even removed in all cabin classes?

Will airline food still be available? Only if it's prepackaged? 

How much will a ticket cost in the future? More than before Corona? Or less because of the low oil / fuel prices?

:Flying:

Edited by Thanks

A lot of valid concerns there, I suspect the way we travel will change for the foreseeable future- at the very least for the next 1-2 years while a vaccine is being developed and then distributed. Medical/fit-to-fly certificates being the first barrier before even getting onto the plane, and yeah all the measures you've mentioned being implemented in one way or another. Think each country/airline will probably have their own requirements/procedures.

Can't see it being very cheap to fly either- IIRC low oil prices in the past have had little effect on ticket prices anyway.

As an example of how the airlines view the time frame for resumption of passenger service, Emirates won't be flying until July at the earliest. I am sure other carriers are looking at the same scenario and they are probably getting info about when border closures will end and international flying may resume directly from governments. 

https://www.arabianbusiness.com/transport/445448-emirates-airline-passenger-flights-set-to-remain-grounded-until-july?fbclid=IwAR17o4uh-OY1uZVVLTxR0Yo73j-eGVF1-stq-PGoeRQVxQxe_ByqOwb0PNk

You can find updated info on border closures here: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

I'm sure governments and business are talking to each other to coordinate the ramping up of airline travel. I would also say this is why the visa amnesty was extended until July 31 here in Thailand. They all know things won't be 'normal' for quite sometime.

Flights back to normal by Oct 2021, says AOT, note that's October next year

“If the Covid-19 situation is brought under control in countries worldwide, the economy in Thailand and other major countries will recover, while traffic volume will return to normal in October 2021,” he said.

8 hours ago, ssmurry said:

Flights back to normal by Oct 2021, says AOT, note that's October next year

“If the Covid-19 situation is brought under control in countries worldwide, the economy in Thailand and other major countries will recover, while traffic volume will return to normal in October 2021,” he said.

I suspected as much. We all hope for things to recover soon. But I think that's a pipe dream. I don't think things get back to normal til next year. That's for bars, restaurants, flying, and everything else.  Sure flights we resume in the coming months, bars well be opening again. But everything we do will have to be done with extreme cautions.

Agree on all of the above, the realisation is setting in that this will not return to "normal", any time soon. I have a trip to Bohol, pushed back to November and right now, I'm not confident that will actually go ahead, or even whether the hotel will still be open. I'm supposed to be going back to Australia for Christmas, but if I have to do two weeks in quarantine, then forget it. Lord knows if it would be a good idea to be around my mid-70's parents anyway. 

Right now, I'm really missing those long-weekend jaunts down to BKK, that I could do at the drop of a hat. That's out the window now, for a very long time.

Emirates' new policy according to the pointsguy website:

"The carrier will not allow passengers to board with cabin baggage in an effort to reduce risk of spreading the virus by touch.

all passengers and crew wear masks and gloves throughout their journey — from check-in until they disembark.

All cabin crew, boarding agents and ground staff who come in direct contact with passengers will be outfitted in personal protective equipment, which includes a disposable down over their uniforms and a safety visor — plus a mask and gloves.

After each journey, the airline said that aircraft will go through enhanced cleaning and disinfection processes in Dubai.

On board, the airline said that it’s pre-allocating seats so there are vacant seats between individual passengers or family groups in an effort to social distance.

Meal services have also been adjusted, as cabin crew will distribute bento box-style meals to passengers in order to minimise contact.

Magazines and other print materials have been removed from seatback pockets in order to reduce spread by touch."

https://thepointsguy.co.uk/news/emirates-coronavirus-ppe-measures/amp/

Seat map for a Delta Airlines flight from New York to Fort Lauderdale:

middle-seat-map.jpg?fit=554,1199px&ssl=1

Edited by Thanks

8 hours ago, hkaus72 said:

Right now, I'm really missing those long-weekend jaunts down to BKK, that I could do at the drop of a hat. That's out the window now, for a very long time.

You just made me miss it as well,  such a simple thing like walking down the street won't be the same for a while. 

2 hours ago, sornierob said:

So how do the window-seat passengers in the next rows access and exit their seats?

Delta has recently introduced a new back-to-front boarding process. Passengers are asked to stay seated in the waiting area until their row is announced. That's reality already. Next step I think could be to let window seat passengers take their seats before middle and aisle seat ticket holders. 

https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-air-lines-boarding-social-distancing

Emirates screens passengers before boarding an aircraft for the corona virus whereby blood is drawn from a finger prick and the results are processed in just 10 minutes. :o

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/emirates-is-giving-rapid-coronavirus-tests-to-passengers-before-boarding/

2 hours ago, sornierob said:

So how do the window-seat passengers in the next rows access and exir their seats?

I'd say there would be a really thin gap between rows, like now with economy class, where you'd pretty much jumping over peoples knees- again like it is now anyway.

Theoretically I'd enjoy having my own pod-like space but doubt this will become standard- they'd make it much more claustrophobic in real life and there'd be a bunch of safety hazards with flight attendants having obscured views, etc.

Maybe something more realistic would be the current configuration but plastic screens between each seat. There's no way flying with every other seat empty is a viable long or even medium-term solution.

I received this from Qatar Airways today. It's all very preliminary, but it gives you an idea of what the timetable is for moving forward over the next couple of months. Encouraging news, I would say. 

IMG_1458 .jpg

I came across this today in Bangkok Post. I know there has been concern about travel insurance perhaps refusing to cover health care costs associated to Covid, but it looks like LOS will pick up the tab in exchange for a 200 or 300 baht ticket tax fee. Things are slowly gearing up for a return of international travel. Now they need to focus on test-based alternatives to a 14 day quarantine on arrival...

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/1916332/tourism-levy-mulled

there will never be a vaccine for covid19, any talk of a levy is just a con and thais are great at that, i could smell this shit arising , countries demanding medical insurance within reason will be the norm, cest la vie mongerers, lets get around this hurdle with as much aplomb and bs as we can muster, limit the damage whilst it is still being determined, create some disturbances to throw the pitiful generals into disarray, good luck, thai airways has been thrown a lifeline by the govt and it is up to us to take advantage of them, dont cop their exorbitant first offers, let them sweat and reduce the prices $700 return aud is ok, beware of dudes like skyscanner because u wont get a look in with refunds. singapore air will be a viable alternative for ozzies  to LOS.

Edited by the bream

Thai Airways apparently intends to file for bankruptcy protection which would imply a restructuring of the flag carrier. Guess that process won't be "smooth as silk"...  

I don't know if bankruptcy protection in Thailand can be compared to Chapter 11 of Title 11 of the US Code for example.

On 5/23/2020 at 10:12 PM, Knobby said:

If so then I welcome this !!

No more sitting next to that fat wanker 555

Hope you don't mean me :ph34r:...

And if you fly back to MUC next time you don't have to go into a 14 day quarantine anymore, says the German ambassador in BKK:

Guess other countries will soon follow suit...

...and in case you miss your scheduled flight from BKK to MUC, you could inquire if there's a seat available on the Thai Air Force Boeing 737, registration HS-HMK (a.k.a. "Victor Mike")

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/HSHMK

More I won't say as that would be against the forum rules...

Edited by Thanks

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1169276-international-flights-to-thailand-wont-resume-until-september-says-aviation-authority/

Edited by Thanks

On 6/20/2020 at 7:16 AM, Thanks said:

Hope you don't mean me :ph34r:...

And if you fly back to MUC next time you don't have to go into a 14 day quarantine anymore, says the German ambassador in BKK:

Guess other countries will soon follow suit...

...and in case you miss your scheduled flight from BKK to MUC, you could inquire if there's a seat available on the Thai Air Force Boeing 737, registration HS-HMK (a.k.a. "Victor Mike")

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/HSHMK

More I won't say as that would be against the forum rules...

no good for me. am on a u.k passport

I think the ability to travel will be dictated more by governments than what airlines are saying. For instance, Thailand might say ok for Aussies to visit & airlines offer fares. However if Australia is saying we can’t leave then its fruitless.