Thanks

COVID-19 Health Issues

What's your blood group?

A+ here.

But I remember reading that Asians have a significantly higher incidence of blood group A than Europeans, so maybe that has impacted the stats and created a bias?

Clutching at straws again!

SAG

On 3/18/2020 at 8:50 AM, SAGuy said:

A+ here

:aloser:

Edited by Thanks

Can Azithromycin fight Covid-19 / SARS CoV-2?

Edited by Thanks

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.11.20031096v1

not peer reviewed, very prelimerary.

several weak points. This is not a causality but a correlative study. Too little subjects, all from two cities in China.

The sample sizes is my biggest issue, for good data on blood groups you need 50000-100000 data points due to overrepresentation of some blood groups within participants.

Summary: It’s not fake news but only slightly indicative at best. No reason to assume A+ is more at risk at this point.

One day we’re on top of the Vanarama National league table and the next we’re top on the Coronavirus table and the epicentre of the virus in the UK

132D5662-C311-447E-86A6-842B531DC384.jpeg

3A96F6FD-2D3F-4FB6-8198-D44C14C6A5A1.png

Edited by OneTrueSaxon

North East is really suffering mate....anyway, on a positive front the Germans are back playing and if that goes well we will be close behind!

I presume vanarama have declared the league void? Still find it shocking seeing Notts county, Hartlepool, and Barnet at this level now.

Better times will come back and so will the beautiful game!

25 minutes ago, taaseesanuk said:

North East is really suffering mate....anyway, on a positive front the Germans are back playing and if that goes well we will be close behind!

I presume vanarama have declared the league void? Still find it shocking seeing Notts county, Hartlepool, and Barnet at this level now.

Better times will come back and so will the beautiful game!

The league as not been cancelled as of yet. Might here something this coming week. Fingers crossed we get promotion 

I see a considerable amount of new cases in Bkk. Anyone attending the following venues needs to get tested ( & i imagine quite a few more)

51907433-C1EC-461E-ACBC-84B30146C9DD.jpeg

Edited by Boomerang

These bars, noted above, and perhaps a few others were discussed in yesterday’s Bangkok Post. The article said several foreigners were infected from these venues. 

A friend of mine in the healthcare industry in NorthAmerica and well versed in how Covid spreads and infects people of all ages explained it this way:

Without adequate contact testing, younger people have a tendency to discount the initial effects of Covid as simply a cold or an allergy. As the effects get worse, they try sleeping pills and other over the counter drugs to combat the illness. Then, in some cases, they find themselves suddenly and severely ill, and perhaps hospitalized, even potentially resulting in death. Because they ignored the symptoms and did not get tested, their Covid spread to others, some more vulnerable than others. 

One recent example of how quickly it spreads in the US just happened. A post college graduate from Alabama, 23 year old, and a popular and vivacious fan of Alabama’s basketball team, who won a bid in the NCAA tournament being played in the state of Indiana, traveled there to root on his team. By the time he returned  to Alabama last Tuesday, he was ill enough to need hospitalization and died from Covid just a few days ago. It happened that quick, however, he was more likely feeling poorly for several days beforehand, and according to his father felt he could get through his ‘cold’ in order to see and cheer his beloved team. He never got tested!

Now, NCAA officials and Indiana health authorities are urging anyone who attended the games this fan attended get tested. Of course, he was also at other venues: hotels, bars, automobiles, airplanes, restaurants etc. where he could have spread Covid. It now appears to be affecting younger people in the US more because older people are quickly getting vaccinated, leaving only younger non-senior ages and sometimes reckless youth as potential hosts. Indeed, the last fatality from Covid in Thailand #95 was listed as a woman in her late 20’s. 

1 hour ago, Vagamundo said:

These bars, noted above, and perhaps a few others were discussed in yesterday’s Bangkok Post. The article said several foreigners were infected from these venues. 

A friend of mine in the healthcare industry in NorthAmerica and well versed in how Covid spreads and infects people of all ages explained it this way:

Without adequate contact testing, younger people have a tendency to discount the initial effects of Covid as simply a cold or an allergy. As the effects get worse, they try sleeping pills and other over the counter drugs to combat the illness. Then, in some cases, they find themselves suddenly and severely ill, and perhaps hospitalized, even potentially resulting in death. Because they ignored the symptoms and did not get tested, their Covid spread to others, some more vulnerable than others. 

One recent example of how quickly it spreads in the US just happened. A post college graduate from Alabama, 23 year old, and a popular and vivacious fan of Alabama’s basketball team, who won a bid in the NCAA tournament being played in the state of Indiana, traveled there to root on his team. By the time he returned  to Alabama last Tuesday, he was ill enough to need hospitalization and died from Covid just a few days ago. It happened that quick, however, he was more likely feeling poorly for several days beforehand, and according to his father felt he could get through his ‘cold’ in order to see and cheer his beloved team. He never got tested!

Now, NCAA officials and Indiana health authorities are urging anyone who attended the games this fan attended get tested. Of course, he was also at other venues: hotels, bars, automobiles, airplanes, restaurants etc. where he could have spread Covid. It now appears to be affecting younger people in the US more because older people are quickly getting vaccinated, leaving only younger non-senior ages and sometimes reckless youth as potential hosts. Indeed, the last fatality from Covid in Thailand #95 was listed as a woman in her late 20’s. 

While younger people do die, they remain outliers even now. Everywhere I read newspapers, they are pushing the fact that young people die and get seriously ill to the point where there is the sentiment that this is common. It still isn't. The median age of people in the ICU is however decreasing. In my hospital the youngest person in the ICU is 47, out of 68 ICU beds that are all occupied.
Even non vaccinated, I would worry a lot more about traffic than about covid in the LOS.

46 minutes ago, Jonard said:

While younger people do die, they remain outliers even now. Everywhere I read newspapers, they are pushing the fact that young people die and get seriously ill to the point where there is the sentiment that this is common. It still isn't. The median age of people in the ICU is however decreasing. In my hospital the youngest person in the ICU is 47, out of 68 ICU beds that are all occupied.
Even non vaccinated, I would worry a lot more about traffic than about covid in the LOS.

I know things have really flared up in France and most of Europe, I wish you the best of luck and sincerely hope the bastard disease is brought under control as soon as possible.

When you do get a chance to return to LOS I think you will have definitely earned a bit of quality Mongering...respect!

Thanks for that. I'll be humble though, beside volunteering to administer vaccinations and helping out with the research and data, I don't have any real contact with covid patients.
The nurses having close contact with em are the real heroes of this crisis.

2 hours ago, Jonard said:

Thanks for that. I'll be humble though, beside volunteering to administer vaccinations and helping out with the research and data, I don't have any real contact with covid patients.
The nurses having close contact with em are the real heroes of this crisis.

A good friend of mine is finally able to now have some spare time to spend with his family after a very intense 4 months on the Covid wards, he said that at it's peak it was 50/50

as to whether they could treat and cope with patients, he said it has aged him and he is mentally and physically drained...I guess the 1.5% pay rise offered by the Government

will help ease the burden then!!  Disgraceful and disrespectful springs to mind.

35 minutes ago, taaseesanuk said:

A good friend of mine is finally able to now have some spare time to spend with his family after a very intense 4 months on the Covid wards, he said that at it's peak it was 50/50

as to whether they could treat and cope with patients, he said it has aged him and he is mentally and physically drained...I guess the 1.5% pay rise offered by the Government

will help ease the burden then!!  Disgraceful and disrespectful springs to mind.

I assume he’s a nurse? I have worked in several countries (I consult and teach as well) and wherever I go, nurses, logistical employees etc are always squeezed like a grapefruit. During covid they work in super hot protective clothing and hard to breathe masks. Sometimes they work double or triple shifts. It’s absolutely shameful they get squeezed like this. They are the backbone of healthcare. 1.5% is very little imho. In my hospital most doctors pitched in to divide our bonus among them.

32 minutes ago, Jonard said:

I assume he’s a nurse? I have worked in several countries (I consult and teach as well) and wherever I go, nurses, logistical employees etc are always squeezed like a grapefruit. During covid they work in super hot protective clothing and hard to breathe masks. Sometimes they work double or triple shifts. It’s absolutely shameful they get squeezed like this. They are the backbone of healthcare. 1.5% is very little imho. In my hospital most doctors pitched in to divide our bonus among them.

33 minutes ago, Jonard said:

I assume he’s a nurse

He is indeed mate.