Just wandered if anyone has been brave enough to try the crispy fried crickets?

Late one evening at Why Not Creamy said she was hungry and there was some food she wanted on the cart outside, feeling generous I gave her some money and said 

bring me whatever your having. What she brought back was a plate of critters with some salad bits and crispy pork skin....even in my pissed up state there was no way I was going near that!

Watching her munching on these could of been a passion killer but with her curvy ass anything is forgiven.

My girlfriend ate a basket of insects at Asiatique. I thought it was grasshoppers but it may have been large crickets. To be honest, I don't know and I don't care. It's just one more "exotic" Thai food tradition that needs to be avoided by thinking farangs, like eating durian or putting ice cubes into a beer.

I had a plate of fried crickets and mint leaves with honey at a place in Vientiane a few years back. It was ok. I remember seeing the waiting staff & some of the kitchen peeking from a doorway to see what reaction I would have. Big bottle of Beer Lao helped.

Ex gf's mum loved durian and we drove countless miles around Rayong finding the best ones. Not half as bad as I expected.

I draw the line at ice cubes in beer!

I know on a similar subject that ants are on the menu in some areas of the North East....the Durian has an awful pungent smell but for me the fermented fish (balaar) that is eaten

with Somtum and other things is just the worst smelling of them all.

The 'insect wagon' turns up outside WN and CIB on most nights.

It really sobers you up when you see the femme fatales who have been the objects of your desire all evening munching on all kinds of fried insects late at night.

You can get a mixed assortment for as little as THB 100 and they range from passable, to crunchy to downright gross. I guess a bit like the girls themselves?

I've never seen the ant eggs in BKK, but have had them in Isaan. They're white and taste sour. I guess its an acquired taste!

SAG

I've fried crickets in Cambodia.  It wasn't that bad surprisingly.

I also tried bee larvae honeycomb in the same sitting - that, I did not enjoy however.... 

Cambodia - that brings back memories. 

I went on a trip with some Thai blokes and apart from the obvious, their highlight of the trip was eating a Cambodian speciality - duck eggs, with a fully formed foetus inside. It appears that you cant get these in Thailand - they only have the chicken equivalents there.

I cant say I tried that 'delicacy'.

SAG

7 hours ago, SAGuy said:

Cambodia - that brings back memories. 

I went on a trip with some Thai blokes and apart from the obvious, their highlight of the trip was eating a Cambodian speciality - duck eggs, with a fully formed foetus inside. It appears that you cant get these in Thailand - they only have the chicken equivalents there.

I cant say I tried that 'delicacy'.

SAG

That may be a Cambodian specialty, but the Philippines is the original. It's called Balut. 

Crickets are fine, even served in Melbourne and other parts of Oz/Nz. Cricket based flour is also available in many APAC countries. 

My first visit to Asia, yeah I was scared of the food, but a few trips to Hong Kong and Guangzhou and I've eaten everything from Dog to scorpions to jelly fish tentacles, which all can be made delicious with the right seasoning. 

These days I eat dog in Korea as they do it best, Scorpion in Xi'an, Snake blood wine in Vietnam, Durian in Malaysia and Sichuan Phoenix Claw at any Yum Cha. You learn in time where does the best versions as your taste adapts. Though I still don't like blood pudding. 

Edited by Ropey

20 minutes ago, Ropey said:

That may be a Cambodian specialty, but the Philippines is the original. It's called Balut. 

Wow, I never realised it was so widespread.

I cant see the attraction myself, as the feathers etc. were off-putting. However the Thai blokes i was with we were really keen on them.

I think I'll take some Mopane Worms for the next time I see them!

Thanks for the heads-up Ropey, I've never been to the PI.

SAG

8 minutes ago, SAGuy said:

Wow, I never realised it was so widespread.

I cant see the attraction myself, as the feathers etc. were off-putting. However the Thai blokes i was with we were really keen on them.

I think I'll take some Mopane Worms for the next time I see them!

Thanks for the heads-up Ropey, I've never been to the PI.

SAG

Asia has many introduced foods, much of the Thai famous food for instance is not actually Thai, it's from Laos, which is where the isan people come from and only nationalised under a govt marketing campaign as 'one people' such as Som Tum, Laab, and most other spicy foods. Muslim foods in Thailand come from Malaysia, which in turn come from Sri Lanka, which is also where the Thai version of Buddhism comes from. 

Edited by Ropey

4 hours ago, Ropey said:

Asia has many introduced foods, much of the Thai famous food for instance is not actually Thai, it's from Laos, which is where the isan people come from and only nationalised under a govt marketing campaign as 'one people' such as Som Tum, Laab, and most other spicy foods. Muslim foods in Thailand come from Malaysia, which in turn come from Sri Lanka, which is also where the Thai version of Buddhism comes from. 

That's really interesting Ropey.

I've spent a bit of time in Isaan and often wondered that if they are so close to their Laos neighbours, speaking the same language, following the same religion etc. then why are they now separate?  I guess it must be similar to the US and Canada relationship?

I wonder how many Thais know that their version of Buddhism is from Sri Lanka? I never knew that, I just assumed it was from India.

Interesting stuff, it is a very complex country once you start digging.

Cheers and thanks for the info.

SAG

On 2/26/2020 at 12:33 PM, BeachGuySC said:

Careful with the US- Canada stuff. On the flight home last week I sat next to a Korean guy who asked me where I was from. Told him US. He then proceeded to ask me if I’d ever been to Canada, which I had and told him I actually lived there a while and had been all over the frozen north. He then asked me what I thought about Canada. So being tired and feeling a little snarky, I said “ only two things in Canada - retards and hockey players”. He was visibly upset with my answer and with a menacing glare retorted “ My wife is from Canada”. Gathered myself quickly and said “ oh yeah, what team does she play for?”  

When I first heard that one about 40 years ago, it was “....whores and hockey players”.   Same answer—“what position...”.  It was used to describe a quick thinker , eh?

All the whores left Canada. Like all good Canadians they now infect, I mean live in the lower 48. They are proud of their heritage though. Always go on and on about how great Canada is. But when I ask “if it’s so great, why don’t you still live there”, I get that 5 mile stare. And they start speaking French. 

22 minutes ago, Thanks said:

How to prepare Thai food:

And I thought that just moving sideways was stupid enough!